2017 Recruiting Notes

Update for those in the ‘Cain can’t shoot’ camp - up to 41.7% from distance during EYBL. That is elite, not good, but elite.

I wouldn’t call that “elite” - especially in AAU play - but it’s still very good, though of course I never had any concerns about his shooting ability anyway. I see him as very similar to Tim Hardaway from three point range, which is a good thing from my perspective.

2 Likes

MattD you can’t convince the doubters. Mich. needs to get players like Cain who are in our back yard who will be top 100 while still recruiting top level out of state talent. Just from film I have seen I think Coach B can put Cain in a position to thrive. Mich must get Cain while hoping to also score on top 20 talent.

1 Like

Perhaps should’ve given more context - Cain started EYBL 3/19 from distance, he is now 17/29 since that point, good for 58.6%, which is certainly elite.

2 Likes

Had the chance to check out Kyle Young/King James vs. City Rocks - Young played really well, knocked down 2 from deep, probably finished with around 20 and 6-7 rebounds. Had a nice take to the basket off 1 dribble.

Sly - Gaines was not impressive at all. He’s basically a 6’4 Power Forward with little to no skill, but he does have motor. On the other hand, I was impressed with Amir Wright. His handle is a bit loose, but at 6’8 he does have good feel for the game, can shoot a bit, and has good footwork.

It amazes me how stubborn you are on this despite Cain shooting 8% better from 3 than Young on the circuit so far even with the bad start.

Agreed - the current stretch is elite. But then the prior stretch was below average - which is why I think you have to be careful with too much data mining. I mean, if I called our basketball program elite because of 2013 and 2014, you’d be there to correct me quickly. :). Either way, I think Cain’s a good shooter and a guy I really want in this class.

2 Likes

Hamir is who I keep posting about. I’d love for us to feel him out and to become another option at the 3/4 tweener role. How did McGee and carter do? McGee had a big day yesterday.

I agree - but it’s not data mining for me based on the fact that I’ve seen a ton of Jamal prior to EYBL. Like I said, Cain is a better shooter than Ibi IMO. I think 35-36% is a realistic number for Jamal in college with potential to be 40%.

Looks like McGee had another solid game and carter literally did nothing. Odd because before this weekend McGee was meh, and carter was playing decent. Up for recruiting Hamier wright. I out a video up on McGee a week ago or so. Real athletic combo guard.

They still only shooting court one and two?

I think Ibi is a little underrated on this board, but either way, Cain is a guy I really want. Cain has a higher ceiling, but I think Ibi will be a solid contributor to the program.

If our starting 1-3 in 2017 (and more importantly, 2018) is Simpson, Poole and Cain, with Ibi backing up the 2/3, I think that’s very strong. I guess MAAR will still be around too, so he’ll be part of that mix.

If we could land a Kyle Young or Jaren Jackson to play the four - or Donnie Tillman as a backup plan to those two - the future looks pretty bright IMO.

The official stats are what matters, not what you think you saw. He can shoot and is in a nice rhythm currently. We could use him but his game doesn’t appear to be a big ten starting caliber. We will see how it translates wherever he ends up, only time will tell.

There’s no doubt in my mind wherever young and Cain end up, young will be the better player. I’m hoping they both come to Michigan but I don’t see it happening.

You do understand 13-14 year olds are the ‘official’ scorekeepers, whereas I have film? Carry on, it’s obvious you have an agenda with Cain.

1 Like

Caveat this with the fact that I agree with you that I think Cain will be the better player. Johnmiller is stating his opinion which he is entitled to. I wouldn’t be quick calling people on this board to ‘having an agenda’ if I were you with as much as you are pushing Cain

2 Likes

Smart man. I have no agenda whatsoever. I state the facts. Cains numbers are almost identical to ibi Watsons and young is just flat out better. If we land Cain then fine, but he isn’t a starting big ten player.

Watson is not a starting big ten player either. Young could potentially start as a freshman.

No, Ibi put up similar ppg with the caveat that he shot TEN percent less from the field and NINE percent less from 3. Those are huge discrepancies. Comparing Ibi to Jamal is ridiculous IMO

You are terrible at basketball analysis. I wish there was a block function on this site so I don’t have to read the opinion of wannabees.

1 Like