2017 Recruiting Notes

I think everyone has some concerns with Beilein’s recruiting. My concerns are more related to who he chooses to target and offer. I don’t really have a huge issue with the his offer policy. As to the lack of contact with certain recruits–that could definitely be an issue, but perhaps these recruits just weren’t very high up on Michigan’s board. If they were high priority recruits, then that would be concerning. As it is, Thornton is the only priority target that I know of that has gone on record saying that Michigan didn’t contact him as much as other schools did. Maybe there have been more, but I haven’t seen them. And recruits don’t typically shy away from saying those types of things, as there isn’t anything disrespectful about saying which programs are (or are not) contacting you most often.

Just forgot about Cain somehow. At least he has stated we are in his top 3, don’t think we would be with the other two guys. I’m hoping a bunch of new names pop up in the 60-150 range. Time will tell but going to have some PT to offer especially at the 4.

I like Paul Roberts

It took for Jaylen Brown’s uncle to contact the staff bc they were interested in Michigan .

2 Likes

And similar situations occurred for some of the players we landed. The player’s camp reaching out to Michigan and not the other way around.

Draw your own conclusions on how that comes off.

2 Likes

what about Terrance Lewis, mentioned us in the article below in October. Haven’t heard anything since, got to think Donlon would love to have this guy on the edge side end. Just the type of guy we should be going after from a style and ranking perspective.

http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1604422-terrence-lewis-continues-to-improve

Question: Is our next commitment in 17 or 18?

1 Like

Tonight’s games

Kyle Young - 28 points, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 8/15 fg, 3/5 3pt fg

Jamal Cain - 4 points and 2 rebounds 1 assist 1/5 fg 0/2 3pt fg

That was a highlight video?

1 Like

Hail, we are strrrrrugggling on the recruiting trail. Outside of Kyle Young, we aren’t in the race for any impact players.

The more I watch of Cain, the more of a project I seem to think he is. Certainly has a high enough ceiling from a pure athletic standpoint but he leaves a lot to be desired as a plan A target.

1 Like

That was my exact thought. Who wasted their time putting that video together.

That’s pretty obviously just (part) of one game at Spiece. Not really sure what there is to judge there or what you guys would want to expect from one game of clips.

I was at Spiece and he actually had a pretty good weekend overall. As a fan of his game, admittedly he has been on a run of a couple or good games and then mixes in a clunker much like last night.

Scout’s basketball coverage leaves a lot to be desired. I think that ole Sam is spread too thin these days as he used to cover these events pretty good when he wasn’t the publisher. Their basketball coverage went downhill in a hurry when he took over publishing duties. That was a poor attempt by Josh.

1 Like

I just think you have to take context into any highlight video that you watch. It’s very easy to make a video that skews expectations one way or another, whether it is on purpose on not. You just have to realize what you are watching and that a season highlight is always going to look better than one game. A video made by a recruiting site is going to be different than a YouTube highlight guy, etc.

3 Likes

Agree completely and by no means am I basing my opinion off of that small clip put out by scout.

I’d like us to step up some offers/ names. I like the names being floated a lot. It seems you see guys getting interviewed saying Michigan is on their list of most frequent contact/or our name comes up in recruitment. Now is like to see a lot of that interest turned up.

Kyle Young would be huge for '17. He is going to play PF anywhere he goes and is becoming a star. I am so hoping we get him. Young and Poole coming in after X and Watson have a year under their belt is pretty exciting with a lot of scoring potential. Those 4 combined with a hopeful 2 years of Wagner at center would be a very good team. I hope we are doing everything in our power to get Young to come here.

2 Likes

X/Roberts
Poole/Ibi/Roberts
Baruti/ibi/Cain
Wagner/young/Wilson
Teske/Davis.

I like that roster for 17 and 18 a lot. Good mixture of offense and defense with guys who have nice roles. I think that’s a very well rounded roster with a ton of potential. Obviously young could start or Wilson it even Baruti undersized. That would be one of our better teams in the belein era imo talent wise.

I’d really like to add Justin Roberts as our back up pg/ guard of the bench. He actually has a lot to his gAme that looks more impressive than x.

A class of Poole, Roberts,Cain and say young or a guy like livers would be a very impressive class to me. I really hope they keep up the pressure/ and contact with Roberts. He looks like a top 100 kid all day. I believe he could get 15-20 minutes of the rip. We’d have nice options there. In that scenario.

Yea I like him a lot and have since day one. It would be nice to see belein and the new staff step up and win a big recruiting battle. To me young appears to be a top 75 kid all day. I’m not sure why he isn’t ranked higher. He appears to me in pooles talent range.

This being said I’ve liked the livers films a lot too. I’d like to increase our prescense in that recruitment. Tillman as well. I’d like to know if young is a miss that we have a lot of solid targets were following up with.

Like I just mentioned to Roberts should be the of we add if we really have to add one in 17. Kid is very talented and seems to be under radar a bit. I’d be very happy with a class of Poole, Roberts, Cain and miscellaneous pf. I’d like to see a wider net.

1 Like

As someone that does both highlights and full game/every possession clips, Dylan is absolutely correct on this. Unless we’re talking a top 25-40 level player, most prospects are VERY up and down, and never look as good in a full game as the highlights may indicate.

I’ve seen Young live 3 games at EYBL and being blunt about it, he’s been terrible in all 3 of those games (just my luck). Air balls, losing the ball, falling/off balance, being yanked for poor effort on the glass. BUT, I’ve seen enough of the good things that I realize he’s a very good prospect that would help us out tremendously. He’s just not a top 50 type guy where he pops out immediately. Generally speaking. You need 3-4 games over a weekend to put together a good highlight clip unless the kid is elite. Just something for you guys to consider

Sly - did you initially bring up Abu Kigap?

1 Like