2017 Recruiting Notes

So who would be considered the plan B targets right now? Young and Jackson are our only offers out there and you could argue both are blowing up a bit.

When does JB start to look at handing out more offers? If so who is on that list that could get an offer with a visit of course. Any names?

Looks like Kyle Young is trending toward Ohio State. The 247 Crystal Ball is not always accurate but it gives you a good idea of which school he is leaning toward.

Start compiling a list of plan C targets.

3 Likes

Any reason you aren’t including Cain?

I noticed that too, although I don’t see Cain and Young as being two options for the same role. Now that Young is garnering a lot of interest I’d like to see the staff ramp up their efforts on Williams, Wilkes, Donnie Tillman (!!!) etc. – can’t consider Young a safe bet to come at this point. Are they still looking at PJ Washington?

1 Like

Williams, Wilkes, Tillman and Bowen are complete fantasies.

1 Like

So was Jaylen Brown, yet we ended up in his top 3. No reason not to try.

My gut tells me the lack of offers on the table combined with the perceived lack of enthusiasm around our program are going to lead us to last minute signees only again.

Assuming we strike out on all transfer prospects, will anyone truly be happy if Cain and Poole are the only known commodities in the class? It’s playing out that way.

2 Likes

It does feel that way currently but '17 is a big class with a lot of depth. We’ve got time still.

I wouldn’t make too much of the crystal balls for Young to OSU for a couple reasons: (1) they just started recruiting him, and (2) those “experts” get extra points for having their correct predictions be longstanding. In other words, what happened was OSU offered an Ohio prospect so some experts just put down a prediction as a marker that they can change later. He very well may end up going there, as it’s hard to pull Ohio guys with OSU offers.

And I wouldn’t worry too much about the '17 class. It’s only May, not time to panic. It’ll be just fine.

1 Like

There are things to criticize about Beilein’s recruiting, and the results from the last few years have not been what anyone hoped for. However, whatever people may think of Beilein’s policy of waiting on offers, there is no evidence of which I am aware which suggests that the problem is connected in any way to making few or late offers. We have never given out more early offers than in the class of '16–7 on June 15, 2014, coming off an Elite Eight appearance and a BT championship (Thornton, Winston, Towns, Teske, Goodin, Leaf and Battle), with others, like Langford, following shortly thereafter–and wound up with a class where our top guy (Simpson) wasn’t on the radar at this time a year ago, or for 4 months thereafter. For the class of '14, when there was plenty of enthusiasm (again, we were coming off a BT Championship), we made a lot of early offers as well–Booker, Bates-Diop, Bluiett, Tate, etc.–and got two top 100 kids (Chatman and Wilson), neither of whom had an offer at this time, and one of whom (Wilson) wasn’t even on the radar. The evidence is that Beilein hasn’t won long recruitments (only McGary and Stauskas were more than 6 months from offer to acceptance), but has done pretty well with guys he offered after junior year in high school (Burke, Hardaway, Simpson, etc.). We may wind up with a class to complain about, but the lack of offers to date has little/nothing to do with that IMO.

Wait, why exactly is Donnie Tillman – a Detroit guy and currently a three-star prospect – a fantasy?

Never mentioned Bowen, and I never mentioned any five-star recruits. The staff has shown interest in the other guys I mentioned and all are from the midwest. While I agree there is ton of a competition for these guys and we would have to step up our game big time to land them, this is exactly the kind of player we were prioritizing until recently. No reason we can’t now (except if the staff has given up trying).

Agreed that giving offers doesn’t necessarily lead to commitments, but I think its debatable (esp if you put stock in the anecdotal comments from those close to prospects) if you claim that not giving offers or engaging until later doesn’t have negative impact.

Personally I’d prefer the 14/16 large offer cycles if only to just eliminate that potential issue of not being shown the amount of commitment that other schools have potentially already had for years.

3 Likes

Speaking generally, and not speaking on any individual recruitment, based on the interaction I’ve had with recruits the issue (if any) with the JB approach is lack of contact between visits (IE no begging/ass-kissing) and offer timing in relation to other recruits (this part may admittedly be influenced by transcripts, etc - but the lack of extending the invitation/delaying such invitation, for the academic tour is also part of the equation).

2 Likes

That’s what I don’t understand. If we’ve had Bowen and Scruggs in for visits and they haven’t taken the academic tour why not? If that is one of your processes before offering then get that done on the first visit. It’s hard enough getting kids on campus why try getting them on campus and not do the full acedemic tour. Sure some kids might not meet the grades once they receive transcripts but oh well at least you had that done and over with.

3 Likes

That all makes sense to me, and those would be areas where JB has to come to grips with/improve upon.

2 Likes

Agreed fully. Could you imagine Harbaugh waiting to offer Rashan Gary until he comes onto campus? Harbaugh would be mercifully ripped to shreds for a recruiting practise like that. How many guys has Harbaugh offered before they have even gotten to campus? Exactly.

2 Likes

Right, because football and basketball recruiting are basically the same.

And I believe you meant “mercilessly” ripping him to shreds. Unless, of course, you meant that we’d be ripping him in a gentle, polite manner. Did you mean to imply that Beilein gets some sort of benefit of the doubt that Harbaugh doesn’t get? If so, that’s laughable.

1 Like

They’re the same in the respect that it’s the lifeblood of any big time conference team in basketball or football. Yes I did mean mercilessly. I do believe Beilein does get some benefit of the doubt, well not compared to Harbaugh because he’s kicking major ass so there isn’t anything to criticize him for. There’s the ambiguous question thrown out there whether or not Beilein’s offering strategy has hurt him by mentioning names. Well Matt D just said from recruits he’s been in touch with the lack of contact between visits and offer has been an issue. How do we know there are some recruits that are turned off by that and no longer reciprocate the early interest on the Michigan end? The phrases like begging/ass kissing need to cease as well because this is recruiting and part of being a top 10 paid coach in college basketball is doing your job and your job is to recruit. If you aren’t exhausting every avenue, every contact method and keeping up in the race you aren’t doing your job or you certainly shouldn’t be paid like a top 10 coach.

2 Likes