2017 Recruiting Notes

I’ll say this - I think JB is making a BIG mistake by not pushing hard for Donnie Tillman. He is an ELITE rebounder, just relentless. His ball skills at 6’7 and 225 are very good. I can tell you factually he would be interested

3 Likes

Nope not sure who that is.

Yes. I agree a hundred percent. Tillman should be one of the top pf were pursuing

Young Wilkes Tillman livers should be ou priorities.

Latest Tillman list:

Not sure which way I’d lean here, but will be interesting to see who Michigan pushes for next at the forward spot. Donnie Tillman is one name as is Mac Irvin Fire wing Justin Smith – who Wisconsin and IU are pushing hard for.

I like Kigab – very good Canadian prospect who reminds me of Cain in ways – long, athletic and high motor, a bit raw, with room to develop his skillset.

Tillman is so good. Since everybody will rally around him if/when JB gets interested, why can’t we just rally around him now??? He’s a steal.

BTW the commentariat at Eleven Warriors isn’t exactly thrilled about OSU extending the offer to Young. Funny how they approach recruiting so differently from M.

2 Likes

WB - Kigab is very athletic, good motor, but VERY raw. Cain more polished in terms of skillset. Kigab is an intriguing prospect that showed flashes of skill, I should have more on him soon

Watched Justin Smith at Indy. Kid is an athletic freak but needs skill development.

Prior to the EYBL season I probably would’ve leaned Young over Tillman for UM based on film/system. I’m definitely Tillman over Young at this point, both as an instant impact and long term. Donnie is superior to Young in every aspect of the game other than shooting. Rebounding almost universally translates from level to level, and Donnie is probably one of the best 7-8 rebounders in the entire country with respect to EYBL.

3 Likes

Another thing I’d like to reiterate about Donnie - he’s a wonderful kid, and I truly mean that. The kid is well spoken, humble, respectful, appreciative. He would fit UM perfectly

2 Likes

Really hope Tillman gets more interest from us now, sounds like the type of 4 we have sorely missed.

Matt, it was me who mentioned Kigab. Have we shown interest in him?

Lastly, here is a new name. Anthony Gaines, athletic wing who is having a great EYBL. Sounds under recruited but a guy hopefully we break on now.

No interest from UM, his game isn’t typically what JB wants from a 3/4

Kyle young is on a different level right now. Much better shooter than Tillman, from 3 and from 2. They averaging the same rebounds per game so to say one is better doesn’t make too much sense. This is after 9 games so it’s a solid sample size. Young is the PERFECT fit for Beilein. He can already shoot well from 3 but with Beilein coaching him it can still improve. Tillman has shot 2 3’s in 9 games, wouldn’t make a whole lot of sense bringing him here. This kid could be our best player as a sophomore and be one of the better players in the big ten, I am praying we get this kid.

Early games today

Kyle Young - 26pts, 10rebs, 2assists. 10/17fg, 2/6 3pt fg

Jamal Cain - 7pts, 2rebs, 1block, 3/4fg, 1/2 3pt fg

Donnie Tillman - 12pts, 7rebs, 1assist, 1steal, 3blocks, 6/13fg, 0/1 3pt fg

JM, I preface this by saying I’m a big fan of young, but if you think he’s On a different level than Donnie, I think you are riding the Young train a bit too hard. Donnie is a better ball handler, passer, rebounder, athlete, defender. Basically everything exclusive of shooting.

I understand your priorities in a prospect - shooting for you is first and foremost, whereas it’s dead last for me. That’s where our differences in scouting occur - I value paint oriented production whereas you prefer finesse/perimeter production.

Evening games

Donnie Tillman - 20pts, 7/9 fg, 6/9 ft, 0/1 3pt, 4 rebs, 1 stl, 0 assists, 2 turnovers

Kyle Young - 24pts, 9/14 fg, 6/8 ft, 0/3 3pt, 13 rebs, 1 blk, 2 assists, 1 turnover

Jamal Cain - 12pts, 5/10 fg, 2/3 3pt, 6 rebs, 2 stls, 0 assists, 3 turnovers

Since we’re talking '17 recruiting, we should probably mention Poole’s performances today.

Game 1–18pts, 6/14fg, 2/3ft, 4/10 3pt, 3 rebs, 2 stl, 1 assist, 1 turnover

Game 2-- 6pts, 2/5fg, 1/2ft, 1/4 3pt, 6 reb, 2stl, 7 assists, 0 turnovers

Total–24pts. 8/19fg, 3/5ft, 5/14 3pt, 9 reb, 4 stl, 8 assists, 1 turnover

Probably not going to be agreed on by many here, but Greg Elliott is having a monster year on the EYBL circuit. His efficiency is absolutely great. Very good defender as well. Nothing about his game pops out at you but you look at the box score every game and it’s like wow. Nearly automatic for him to have 10pts, 4rebs, 2-3 asst and good D every game.

1 Like

I have been saying for awhile that we might miss out on a good one with Elliott. With the surplus of ships for 17 now, I hope we get him on campus and make an offer. Has said he is a fan of Michigan and we have enough spots to take him and give him a year to develop.

1 Like

I like Elliot. He would be a guy I want until next spring assuming he isn’t going to be a fall sign and see how everything shakes out, but he is a very good glue guy. There doesn’t seem to be a clear focus based on who they are seriously tracking yet on 17 yet outside of a wing, and a pg.

1 Like