2017 Recruiting Notes

Great achievement for Jamal, and nice interview. Seems like a kid with the right approach to succeed where ever he goes, but certainly appears to be an excellent match for Michigan.

Very interesting that JB sold him on playing the 2/3 and compared his role to THJ/Irvin rather than GR3. Any thoughts on this Matt?

I know JohnMiller disagrees, but JB has been at the games just like I have and realizes Cain has the potential to be a playmaker at UM. JB had the opportunity to see Cain handle more extensively, the same as I, and apparently he liked what he saw in terms of the ability to run PnR, even if not frequently. There were plays over the past 2 weekends that didn’t make it in to my highlights that display Cain can create. Again, Jamal isn’t a playmaker on the level of Josh Langford, but certainly think he has more playmaking ability than THJ at the same stage. Does he have a great handle, no, is it average/above average - yes, IMO.

It is also easy to forget that the plan for GRIII was at the 3. Then Smot left, the next year McGary got injured (after starting at the 4, with GRIII at the 3 for the first few games) and Caris exploded. I don’t mean to suggest that JB is trying to trick Cain - to the contrary. Just that even if GRIII is a good comparison it doesn’t mean JB wants him at the 4. JB tried to get Smot at the 4 and Novak at the 2 until it was clear that it was not working as well as playing Douglass and Novak together. JB would prefer to play someone taller/bigger at the 4 who also has some perimeter skills, whether it’s Chatman, Wilson, Wagner, Teske, Young, maybe Easley, depending on his size. Looking at the roster, there’s a definite opening for a 3, who could transition down to a 2 (like THJr did) if his skills are up to it in later years and how the roster looks.

4 Likes

Cain as a 2/3/4 doesn’t really matter from an offensive standpoint…he’ll have his opportunities with the ball, as well as off-ball, to produce.

The only thing that should matter is that he’s not defending the opposing team’s 4. That will be the key question. I have no idea what he’s been told, and I have no idea what he will be capable of physically in 2 -3 years from today…but right now, we should hope the message is consistent that he will be defending other wings and not the Swanigans of the world.

Glad to hear they view Cain as a 3, I just hope the staff will finally recruit the 4 well enough so he doesn’t end up playing there out of necessity like Irvin, GRIII, or Novak.

1 Like

Not Matt, but from the video clip Cain seems to have better handle than GRIII.

I think that we will continue to see small balls, and perimeter skills are prioritized over the size and strength. I will not be surprised to see Cain end up playing 4 given his size.

I saw both THJ and GRIII play live in high school–actually, GRIII was much more of a playmaker with the ball than was THJ. Tim, who I saw in 3 different AAU games and at the UM Elite Camp, did not like to handle when he was pressured in any way–while he didn’t become a great ballhandler in college, he improved a ton in that area. Glenn, who I saw play in a high school game, was much more comfortable with the ball than he ever looked at Michigan. Cain is much more of a playmaker than Tim was in high school–Tim was a catch and shoot guy who could dunk in transition and/or finish along the baseline.

The film I’ve seen of Cain remind me more of GRIII than anyone else. He doesn’t have the frame to be as thick and muscled as Glenn became, even with weight training, so guarding 4s on the defensive end is not something I think he’ll ever be asked to do. I understand that there has been a lot of criticism of JBs penchant for playing small, especially at the 4, but the guys who have done so–Novak, Robinson and Irvin–were/are all thicker, stronger bodies who could withstand some physical punishment inside. Cain can’t, and won’t be able to–he’s a 3 defensively (offensively, for Beilein, it’s irrelevant). He’ll play 3 if he comes to Michigan.

2 Likes

MHoops - that’s a really good take IMO. As someone that has seen Cain play a ton, I wholeheartedly agree. Cain will simply never be strong enough to defend a 4. He may be able to provide a helpside block occasionally, but no way is he going to play solid position defense against a B10 PF. He’s a 3 all day.

Thanks, and right back at you–that was a terrific interview with Jamal and his mom. Waiting for part II. I realize that people tend to say positive things to interviewers, but Jamal’s mom seemed unusually effusive about Michigan–if I’m correct about this, I hope that translates…and soon.

1 Like

MHoops (and the rest of you guys) - I can tell you that contrary to what a lot of you believe (LA in particular), UM wasn’t a clear cut favorite heading into the visit by any means, but JB did a GREAT job with Mom. I’ll have more in Part II

3 Likes

Good thing about Cain and PnR, it seems like he can score well at all three levels, especially if he shoots tons of threes every day to get that confidence (confidence will come in anything with a lot of practice). Definite plus. Will he be able to find a teammate if he’s doubled? Definitely something that can be practiced. Along that train of thought, why didn’t we run more ball screen with Abdur-Rahkman, or why wasn’t he good at it? Will this be something he works on this summer with the guys?

No whiff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

“26 points, 15.7 rebounds, four assists and two blocks per game last season”

Are those really his numbers? Those numbers should make him an early season favorite for Michigan Mr. Basketball, no?

1 Like

A bit off topic but anyone have any guesses who gets the next 2017 offer now that Cain has one?

Bowen? Not sure why he doesn’t have one now but is the first one I immediately think of. Anyone else? Probably be someone out of the blue

Have we offered fewer kids for the upcoming recruiting cycle than other years? I know JB doesn’t offer alot of kids but this year the offers seem to be scarcer than normal.

1 Like

I would say 2016 saw more offers than usual. This year there have been four, in 2016 there were five or six on June 15th.

I think you have to remember that until a couple weeks ago, the 2017 class looked like it would have to be smaller. Have added two spots with Dawkins/Doyle transfers.

1 Like

Very good point Dylan and doubt I can get you to bite on this question but do you have any opinions on who might get the next offer in 17?

Also any feeling on 18 for what offers might go out on June 15, hoping a few more go out

Bowen is an Izzo lock

1 Like