2017 Recruiting Notes

I will just go off on a limb and guess Malik Williams.

Agree Bowen is a long shot.

Williams would be a good guess, canā€™t think of anyone else besides those two off the top of my head. Hard to believe.

Maybe Wilkes or Scruggs?

Who else did we offer last year by this time

Xavier Tillman would be nice.

Thornton, Battle, Winston, Goodin, Towns, Leaf, Teske were all offered on June 15th, 2014. So thatā€™s two years ago at this time. Langford got an offer in August.

Michigan didnā€™t end up offering anyone last June for 2017. Poole was offered in Sept. and committed in October. Jackson was also offered in the fall and Young around Christmas.

Good question.

I think wings are the priorityā€¦ Brian Bowen is probably the obvious choice as Beilein had an in-home recently. Heā€™s also discussed taking an unofficial to U-M ( College Sports News and Recruiting ).

If someone like Malik Williams makes the trip to Ann Arbor, heā€™d be a candidate. I think thereā€™s still a chance a point guard gets an offer at some point too.

The visits that are setup over the next couple of months will tell the story going forward.

I didnā€™t say we were a ā€œclear cutā€ favorite, just that we were easily his best offer. And we are - both from a basketball standpoint and an academic standpoint.

I do think itā€™s kinda funny, though, that youā€™ve spent a lot of time on this board in the past concluding JB doesnā€™t have a good recruiting message, doesnā€™t resonate with kids, etc., etc., and your interview with Cain and his family seems to suggest exactly the opposite.

6 Likes
1 Like

Has there been any interest in the Floyd kid from Las Vegas recently? I know UM visited him during the fall and I believe he made a campus visit.

Nothing recent.

Nice wrap of interview. Enjoyed getting this insight into Cain but also a bit of Beilien. The quip about decommits made me chuckle even if in a sad and depressing way

1 Like

I loved this interview, Matt! Based on the comments of Jamalā€™s mom and his aunt as well as Jamal himself, I just donā€™t know how folks on this board can be so negative about Coach Bā€™s recruiting ability. Granted I am an ā€œold manā€ but he is exactly the kind of man I want leading our program. Heā€™s honest. Heā€™s sincere. He absolutely has his playersā€™ best interests at heart. Based on your evaluations of Jamal and my trust in Coach Beileinā€™s ability to identify great kids who fit with what heā€™s trying to do at Michigan, I really hope Jamal decides to commit to Michigan and be a part of something special, both on and off the basketball floor, going forward. Continued thanks for what you are doing with Endless Motor Sports.

1 Like

From a personal standpoint, I really hope Jamal ends up at UM. From a skill, athletic, and personality standpoint, I really do think heā€™s a great fit. He can knock down corner 3s, create off the bounce, finish in transition and the baseline, above average rebounder, and VERY quiet kid that is humble. He would give us an instant upgrade in terms of athleticism, and think he has the potential to be an above average defender once he adds strength/muscle.

4 Likes

I think heā€™s slipped a bit. Came to camp, had the visit, didnā€™t play particularly well. Not sure the interest has been that heavy ever since.

JB must have been power watching Glengarry Glen Ross since the end of the year.

Yep. Pretty much zero chance we get Bowen.

Which has been known for three years. Kinda like MSU would probably have a zero chance of getting Trey Burkeā€™s relative over us.

Now, after reading that, wouldnā€™t you agree that in this case, Cain receiving an offer in the manner that he did was more meaningful to him and his family than JB just simply sending him a letter or calling him on the phone a long time ago to offer?

Every coach does things differently, but it seems to me the coaches who are just tossing out offers to 15-20 kids without ever really spending any time getting to know them or their families makes it a very impersonal process. It works for some, sure, but I think thereā€™s merit to the way JB does things. And most importantly, it seems like his method resonated with the Cains.

2 Likes

What resonates with one prospect does not necessarily resonate with every prospect. It is obvious that Cain wanted an offer and found the process satisfying, which is especially understandable since this was his first Big Ten offer. Thatā€™s great. However, it does not mean that the same approach wonā€™t seem heavy-handed to another prospect. Itā€™s not like Cain has said anything bad (on record) about Marquetteā€™s or Xavierā€™s recruiting style from which we can make inferences about the relative merits of JBā€™s method.

LA never claimed that JBā€™s approach would resonate with every prospect, or even that it was better than other approaches. He simply said that he ā€œthink[s] thereā€™s merit to the way JB does thingsā€ and it ā€œseems like his method resonated with the Cains.ā€

The need for certain posters to discredit everything JB does is so bizarre. Iā€™d expect this on a Michigan State board.

2 Likes