2017 Recruiting Notes

No, because Davis has 2-3 inches on Tillman which is a huge difference, and Davis has much softer hands and a softer shooting touch around the rim.

But I do agree on Cain - very nice film. I wonder if he has grade issues or something, or if people just don’t know much about him? Or maybe they do, and they’re keeping it under wraps. We “discovered” Booker and Kennard way earlier than anyone else, then watched them shoot up the rankings and commit elsewhere.

Comes from a very small school…may explain to a certain extent.

Could be. What AAU team does he play for?

Could be. What AAU team does he play for?

Detroit Stars - not well known relevant to The Family, MI Mustangs, REACH, Playmakers, etc.

Is it possible the next 4 or 5 scholarships go out to point guards and wings? Currently only have MAAR in 17 as a pure guard.

Wow, Cain has superb form on his shot. I’d take him right now in '17 as a 3/4 guy. Looks legit

Don’t think he’s come up here much, but Kris Wilkes interested in visiting.

New film on Xavier Tillman. I’m not a huge fan of Tillman, but I don’t know how some can be sold on Davis, but not Tillman. Tillman has more fluid footwork and more ball skills. Tillman certainly isn’t the best athlete in the world, but runs the floor decent for a kid that size.

Scouting Video: Xavier Tillman http://t.co/Gpg7zlbxFN

— Spartan Sports Now (@SpartanSN) May 12, 2015

New film on Jermaine Jackson Jr. I’ll tell you what, this kid has improved his shooting big time. He’s got a bunch of mid major offers with a few high majors sprinkled in there, but if he continues to play like this its only a matter of time before more high majors give him a look. Honestly, if given the choice between Aiken and Jackson Jr, I’d wait for Jackson Jr in 17. He pretty much does everything better than Aiken at a similar size.

A kid I’ve seen a few times that is pretty decent player is Michael Flowers out of Southfield. If he grows 2-3 inches (probably 6’1 - 6’2 at this point), he will be a very good SG prospect. Problem is that he has the game of a 2, but stuck in the body of a PG. Above average handle, can shoot the ball above average, not a great athlete though.

I’ll try to find some footage, but I doubt anything is out there, as he’s not a known commodity to the best of my knowledge.

WOnder if staff would take Jackson in 2017 if they can land a Winston/Goodin/Brown. If you get one of those guys, chances are you won’t get a star pg anyways, wouldn’t be a bad idea to wrap up a local kid like this IMO

A kid I've seen a few times that is pretty decent player is Michael Flowers out of Southfield. If he grows 2-3 inches (probably 6'1 - 6'2 at this point), he will be a very good SG prospect. Problem is that he has the game of a 2, but stuck in the body of a PG. Above average handle, can shoot the ball above average, not a great athlete though.

I’ll try to find some footage, but I doubt anything is out there, as he’s not a known commodity to the best of my knowledge.

Was able to dig a small bit of film up (from the 1:30 - 2 minute mark) - film basically displays what I referenced above, good handle/change of direction and ability to shoot off the bounce. Looks like he’s putting up good numbers on the AAU circuit as well.

http://www.circuitstats.com/roster_players/7766910?subseason=205847

Supposedly Jermaine Jackson is on campus today/this weekend as well. Would seem to be a logical fit as a steady 4 year PG who would fit in nicely assuming we get a Goodin/WInston/Brown in 2016. Good change of pace PG.

Seems like he is on the short list of those who are in line for a 2017 offer on June 15th with Bowen. We have been mentioned with a few of the Indiana Kids, Jackson/scruggs/wilkes, but I don’t believe any of them have visited. Same goes for Christian David.

WOnder if staff would take Jackson in 2017 if they can land a Winston/Goodin/Brown. If you get one of those guys, chances are you won't get a star pg anyways, wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap up a local kid like this IMO
Gonna need a back-up PG in 2017 even if we take a PG in 2016.
WOnder if staff would take Jackson in 2017 if they can land a Winston/Goodin/Brown. If you get one of those guys, chances are you won't get a star pg anyways, wouldn't be a bad idea to wrap up a local kid like this IMO

Hard to envision Jackson Jr. wanting to be a career backup…the kid can play, I think he garner some more high major interest before the summer is over. If they were the same size, I’d actually prefer Jackson Jr to Winston.

Hard to envision Jackson Jr. wanting to be a career backup…the kid can play, I think he garner some more high major interest before the summer is over. If they were the same size, I’d actually prefer Jackson Jr to Winston.

Probably true. The question was would we take him - we would.

Dylan, maybe this is a question for your next mailbag, but with June 15 getting closer and closer, do you have an opinion on who are the likely day 1 offers for the 2017 class? I was thinking Tillman was for sure, but now not so much. Still expecting Christian David to be in that boat though.

Dylan, maybe this is a question for your next mailbag, but with June 15 getting closer and closer, do you have an opinion on who are the likely day 1 offers for the 2017 class? I was thinking Tillman was for sure, but now not so much. Still expecting Christian David to be in that boat though.

Working on a post in the next few days on 2017 recruiting. Been a crazy couple of weeks with Austin, Jaylen, Tyus happenings.

247 brief recap on Jermaine Jackson Jr’s visit.

Seems to be serious mutual interest between UM and Jackson recently…to the point where I wouldn’t be shocked to see Jackson get an offer next month. Dylan, do you think there is the possibility of Jackson getting an offer?

Jermaine Jackson Jr in Ann Arbour visiting Michigan campus earlier this week #NCAAdreams pic.twitter.com/BJ7JNCGZ3M

— Sonny Bairos (@sonnybairos) May 16, 2015

I’m guessing that after having Spike for four years, JB likes having a second point guard on the squad who can also play off the ball if needed.

I’d imagine Jackson knows we are trying to land a top 2016 PG, so the staff has probably told him he’ll be a backup for the first year or two of his career, and then have an opportunity to win the job if he’s good enough.