2017 Recruiting Notes

Just a guess on Reese, he was selected to be in the Jr. National Team pool which consists of around 30 kids. He wasn’t selected to represent the US in any competition yet.

I really like Christian David's game. Seems like a perfect 2 guard for us.

Think David is more of a 3…but I like his game from the limited film I’ve see as well. Chandler Parsons type game. Need to see more film against legit comp.

Don’t think he has the handles to play the 2?

I really like Christian David's game. Seems like a perfect 2 guard for us.

Think David is more of a 3…but I like his game from the limited film I’ve see as well. Chandler Parsons type game. Need to see more film against legit comp.

Don’t think he has the handles to play the 2?

I think his handle is decent, but not good enough to be a primary ballhandler. My standards for ballhandling are admittedly high. I think its the most important skill any guard/wing player can possess. Without it, you are limited.

The last line is probably applicable to 80% of our recruiting pool…I would like to see it change if possible. Would like to have recruits that need to be told to calm down (think Mitch) rather than to bring more energy. I do like Reese as a prospect though.

Alex Reese is an easy top 100 big in 2017. Pretty skilled already with fine length. Just needs some more dawg! #Gibbons

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) May 2, 2015

Alex Reese has too long of a college list to note, though did speak highly of Vandy and Alabama #Gibbons

— Corey Evans (@coreyevans_10) May 2, 2015

2017 Lightning and Noblesville IN guard Max Flinchum has been invited to and will attend Michigan's Elite Camp @nickbaumgardner @umhoops

— Louisville Lightning (@LouLightningAAU) May 4, 2015

New film of Xavier Tillman from GR Storm Classic. Good footwork, strong body, nimble feet, just lacks explosion.

I know he’s small, but man, its really hard to ignore Jermaine Jackson’s skill level. That kid can play

Here’s a new name to watch - Jamal Cain of Detroit Cornerstone. How this kid is under the radar is beyond me. The kid appears to be a legit 6’7 - 6’8, can flat out shoot the lights out, appears to be athletic, rebounds the ball well, handle is probably below average, but man he is an intriguing prospect at that size. If this kid puts on weight, this is damn near a perfect 4 man.

Have not yet been following 2017 recruiting too closely (though I suspect I will do so more when we get close to June 15). But as I recall, Tillman and Christian David both seem like strong candidates for day 1 offers. I’d be ok with landing both of them from what I know right now (which admittedly isn’t much).

Also by quickly checking the 2017 recruits page, it does seem that Scruggs is listed there (someone asked if there was any interest). I’d presume if it’s on the recruits page, there is at least SOME level of interest. Would think David and Scruggs are an either/or situation, not both.

I’d take this kid in a heart beat as a 4 man

Jermaine Jackson scouting http://s180024.instanturl.net/bankhoopsnew/2015/05/06/michigan-standouts-from-spiece-run-n-slam/

Jermaine Jackson 5-8 So Mustangs 16U (Macomb Dakota): Plays with the upbeat confidence you want from your main ball-handler, and has matured to meld his own scoring ability with creating opportunities for all his talented teammates. The Mustangs just run smoothly when Jackson is out there, he refuses to get flustered. His height becomes irrelevant offensively because he’s a quick triple-threat on the move. Picks and chooses his spots and shows some guts when he decides to take it and and finish through the trees. Clearly one of the top 2017 point guards in the Midwest.

Honestly, if Jackson were 6’, I think he would be top 30ish type player that is every bit as good as Winston, if not better.

Cain looks really good. Small sample size but I didn’t think his handle looked bad for his size. Nice elevation too at the end. Never heard of the school (not from the area) – what is the competition level? I can see him in the 3 or 4.

Jackson still has plenty of time to grow. I was 5’11" my senior year of high school and 6’2" by the end of my freshman year of college. His dad is 6’4" I believe, so I wouldn’t think he’s done growing. I’d take him.

I’m probably in the minority but Tillman doesn’t do much for me. The only position he could really play in our offense would be the five, and he seems too short and unexplosive for that.

I feel the same way about Aiken that Matt does about Jackson - if he was 3 inches taller I think he would be a better player than Winston, and still might be.

I really like that film on Cain. I’d be way more excited about him than Tillman. I wonder why his name isn’t really out there?

I really like that film on Cain. I'd be way more excited about him than Tillman. I wonder why his name isn't really out there?

Just watched some of his film and I agree, I’d be more excited about him than Tillman as well. Looking forward to getting the skinny on 2017 prospects heading into Michigan’s Elite Camp.

I really like that film on Cain. I'd be way more excited about him than Tillman. I wonder why his name isn't really out there?

I’ll tell you what, when I came accross that film I was schocked that high majors aren’t all over him. The shooting ability at that size combined with athletic ability is pretty unique.

I'm probably in the minority but Tillman doesn't do much for me. The only position he could really play in our offense would be the five, and he seems too short and unexplosive for that.

I feel the same way about Aiken that Matt does about Jackson - if he was 3 inches taller I think he would be a better player than Winston, and still might be.

Then you must absolutely hate Davis.

I'm probably in the minority but Tillman doesn't do much for me. The only position he could really play in our offense would be the five, and he seems too short and unexplosive for that.

I would concur on Tillman at this stage of his development. Saw him multiple times this past year, and his biggest asset IMO is his passing ability. He is a wide body who would be useful in setting high ball screens ( ala Morgan ) but his finishing ability is mediocre at best. His explosion is nothing exceptional, and I doubt he is 6’7". On the other hand he is a great kid, highly intelligent and a consummate team player. Attributes that are treasured by our staff.

No, because Davis has 2-3 inches on Tillman which is a huge difference, and Davis has much softer hands and a softer shooting touch around the rim.

But I do agree on Cain - very nice film. I wonder if he has grade issues or something, or if people just don’t know much about him? Or maybe they do, and they’re keeping it under wraps. We “discovered” Booker and Kennard way earlier than anyone else, then watched them shoot up the rankings and commit elsewhere.