2017 Recruiting Notes

Those are fair points, but in the context of players Michigan has a credible shot of landing, Johns is an elite recruit for us. There may be reasons why he won’t be a one and done player, or why his upside for the next level is limited, but with 2-3 years at a school like Michigan, he could be quite successful at the college level. Same with Bowens.

Put another way, neither guy is Josh Langford, but either could be a college star player after 2-3 years on a team capable of making a deep tourney run.

If you think they’re(Cain and Bowens) even close to being the same, I got nothing more.

You are bad at evals too. Do we account for that?

1 Like

I really liked the video I think u posted of him months ago. I thought he looked real solid. By the way I also really like Donnie Tillman. I think we should offer him as well.

LA - I probably could’ve conveyed my point better. No doubt Johns and Bowen are VERY good wings, upper tier in every sense and good fits for UM. Just saying they don’t stand out as being elite/wow type players that you would expect from 5starish kids.

I don’t think all 5* players are elite “wow” type players. There is value in being incredibly polished and not every 5* is going to have great athleticism. Not being a “wow” player doesn’t preclude someone from being worthy of a top 20 player. This isn’t the NFL combine.

1 Like

I think those are really great points… Wasn’t limiting it to athleticism though, neither have a Josh Langford type handle but are similarly ranked. I thought Josh was top 20 worthy and neither Bowen or Johns are on his level IMO

No, but when you have an incredibly smooth mid-range game, you can give up a little bit in terms of handle (see: Khris Middleton).

Could also be the 17 and 18 classes just aren’t as good

Certainly, but it could also be that there is value in guys that don’t “wow” you with athleticism but are incredibly polished. Tobias Harris is another one that comes to mind, sticking with Piston forward references.

Gotcha. Makes sense.

Harris, though, in college was a “wow” athlete. And I’d still say as a pro, he’s a plus athlete. If he could shoot the three a little more consistently, he could score 20 a game easily.

I would love to see Donnie Tillman and Cain in our recruiting class. I really hope they have a shot with Malik Williams, exactly the kind of player we have needed for years.

2 Likes

I really think we should offer Tillman. I know belein went to see him if I recall at Findlay. Are we recruiting him for the three or four? Either way there is something I really like about his game.

1 Like

Johns is only a soph. Give him time.

ESPN Scouting Report on Tobias Harris:

“January, 2010:
One of the elite players in the 2010 class, Harris brought his “A” game to Springfield (Hoophall Classic) with a work-man like 35 point, 16 rebound effort. His game is more high-level than high-light as he didn’t have a lot of “wow” plays, but displayed a very skilled, patient, smart and mature game that should translate immediately at the collegiate level. The smooth combo-forward let the game come to him and did a great job of not forcing the action while picking his spots to attack.”

That’s basically what I’m saying about Bowen. There is value in being a smooth player. Bowen is a “skilled, patient, smart, and mature” player.

There’s no doubt Bowen is legit. Going to be in college for a year or two and then head to the NBA. Wish we had a realistic shot of landing him.

Sure, I hear you, I just thought Harris looked super athletic against us in the 2011 tourney - though I guess juxtaposed against Novak, lots of guys might look super athletic.

Blind Resume Comparison

PLAYER A:

19.6ppg, 47.4% FG, 61.1 FT%, 25.9 3P%

8.3 Rebs per game

1.4 Assists per game, 2.6 TOs per game

16.3 Shots per Game

23.8 Minutes per Game

PLAYER B

12.9ppg, 47.9% FG, 83.3 FT%, 26.9 3P%

5rebs per game

1assist per game, 2.6 TOs per game

10.1 shots per game

22 minutes per game

Additionally, Player B is more efficient in terms of scoring. Player B averages 1.28 points per shot, while Player A averages 1.2 points per shot.