2017 Recruiting Notes

Give me player A.

Bowen. Seems to me that Cain is more efficient in terms of scoring.

Iā€™ll take 7 more points and 3 more rebounds per game over a .08 difference in points per shot.

But thatā€™s the point, Bowen is putting up six more shots per game. Will be interesting to see if Cain can get more shots up, because heā€™s actually more efficient as a scorer than Bowen so far in EYBL

Efficiency usually goes down with more shot attempts and touches, though. I like Cain a lot, I hope we can get him.

Agreed - thatā€™s why Iā€™d like to test it. Hopefully Cain gets a bit more aggressive.

MattD, you guys should do a write up (or include it in your interviews) how players feel about apparel brands. I want to get even more happy about Michigan wearing Jordan Brand this year.

2 Likes

Livers is a really nice playerā€¦ Iā€™ve heard MState is close to offering as is Xavier.

Donnie Tillman update

1 Like

Personally I would prefer the staff prioritize Tillman over Young. Think he has much higher upside.

Maybe this would be better for a mailbag, but: with all these targets emerging, do you think we should expect more official visits to be scheduled in the near future? I think we only have two offers out for 2017, and I know Cain is visiting this weekā€¦ but with the interest the staff has shown in guys like Tillman, Williams, Bowen etc., presumably we need to get these guys on campus sooner than later, especially as many already hold numerous offers. Or are we likely holding out to see what Young/Cain do for the time being?

Man, Xavier is in on everybody it seems. They are like the new IU.

After seeing both live against legit comp, there is no doubt in my mind Donnie Tillman is superior to Kyle Young. Still a fan of Young, but Tillmanā€™s handle, athleticism, and motor is extremely nice. He may be the most underrated player of 2017 along with Cain.

1 Like

May and June are usually big visit times. Theyā€™ve changed the rules in the last couple years so rising seniors can actually take some official visits in the spring, but I would say the majority of officials are taken in the fall still.

Generally they will be more full fledged unofficial visits like Cain is taking on Wednesday.

One interesting change this year is that Michiganā€™s Elite Camp is in August not June this year. Thatā€™s always a big visit time as well.

Thoughts on why the Elite Camp was pushed back?

The main camp months are June and August and it seemed like the June date always seemed to overlap with some sort of regional or national camp or combine (Nike 100 for underclassmen quite a bit), perhaps fewer scheduling conflicts in August.

2 Likes

As much as I am a huge fan of young and he was my favorite kid we were eyeing Iā€™m with you guys that Tillman maybe the better player here. Great at creating his own shot. Still would love either. Maybe both?

Just to give you guys a heads up - there should be a piece about Cain in the Free Press within the next few days.

You mean after he commits on his visit? :smiley:

(kiddingā€¦)