2017 Recruiting Notes

Not at all. The jury is still out on Cain. Although, I do not see him being a go to guy in college and if his shooting or playmaking doesn’t increase greatly, him being a plus player in college is not going to happen. He’s got time, like I’ve stated many times already. He can get a lot better but it’s no guarantee it’ll happen. we have all read on this forum how amazing Cain is, I just don’t see it that way. YET. It could happen.

Tim and Glenn both had nice form, yet didn’t shoot a great percentage from three. It happens. I like Cain a lot, I hope we get him.

Yeah, your eval skills are in serious question.

1 Like

I saw Eric Davis in person play like a 3rd grader two games in a row at one of these events and he’s going to probably start for Texas next year.

Bad games happen. I learned my lesson drawing conclusions on a kid based off a game or two (even admitting it was just 2 games and he could get better, similar to your take on Cain) I think you’re headed in the same direction.

No one is saying Cain is going to be a superstar. Never mind the stats, he has a skill set we desperately need and we more than likely aren’t going to land better.

Pretty obvious Cain is priority #1 at this point. JB court side for Cain - Young playing simultaneously and JB is watching Cain when choices have to be made

1 Like

Once again Cain playing well. 12pts, 2 Rebs, 1 asst on 5-7 shooting. No doubt he is a legit talent. Based on what I’ve seen the past 2 weeks Cain>Young

why would he need to watch young more? he already offered him, correct?

Same reason we watch Poole - support

2 Likes

True. Makes more sense to me to make sure you’re at games of kids you haven’t offered yet vs. watching guys who are committed to your school or who have an offer on the table.

Watching is certainly still for some evaluation, but it is much more about displaying your presence/interest in a kid at this level. That’s why coaches will be 2-3 deep watching certain prospects… not because they aren’t sure about their ability but because they want to show that they are a priority.

5 Likes

Cain lead the Family to another W. 17 pts, 3rebs, 3asst on 7-11 shooting. 2-4 from distance

JB here for Brian Bowen now. Izzo as well

Wait, why would you show interest in a guy who is committed to coming over a guy you haven’t offered yet? Is that what you’re saying? Of the three, Cain is the only one not offered or committed yet, it’s obvious they should be watching him over the others right?

Bowen is a great great player. Saw him live a few times. His teammate Goodwin is real high on Illinois priority list and would be a dream to get him at Michigan. Bowen is a much better shooter though.

You have to continue to show interest or ‘attention’ to your verbal commits, just like you have to show attention to your offered prospects.

4 Likes

We just value different things - I’m watching Bowen now and he’s certainly a nice player but no way would he be in my top 20. Really smooth game though

Not top 20? My goodness I truly have no idea what you’re looking for in a kid. Bowen is going to be a great college player.

Nope. Based on your posts, you are probably very high on shooting. I’m not high on outside shooting without more. I like guys that generate offense near the rim. I’ll always take a guy with a nice handle and athleticism, especially if they have motor vs a kid that has a nice shot and but has a limited handle.

I think Bowen is probably a top 50 type because he appears to be a legit 6’7-6’8 but his handle is limited and he doesn’t have elite quick twitch explosion. He’s a really nice passer on the wing at that size though. Definitely a nice player, but I don’t think there’s much separation between Bowen and Cain to be honest.

1 Like

Brandon Johns is basically another Bowen - I don’t think he’s top 20 either. I’ll say this though - he appears to have the tools, he flashed some handling ability yesterday but he also lacks that quick twitch explosion that you want from a 5 star wing player.

Biggest surprise of the weekend for me was Isaiah Livers of Kalamazoo. I came in thinking he would just be a garbage man and rebounder. He’s more than that - he was nearly automatic from midrange, knocking down several 15-18 foot jump shots. Much more skilled and athletic than I thought. He produced all weekend long. Def think the staff should establish some contact as a fallback to Young at the 4

1 Like