2017 Recruiting Notes

Figured I’d provide some film on Matt Beachler since he visited yesterday. 6’2 out of Lowell HS.

Prelim Opinion - really good catch and shoot player with range out to 26 feet; quick release but low; doesn’t get much verticality on his shot; handle appears to be average; below average athlete

Overall - not really a fan unless he grows 3-4 inches; simply too small and unathletic to
play the wing; doesn’t handle the ball well enough to be a PG

he could literally shoot it in your eye with that low release haha

Jermaine Jackson Jr. (the son of Jermaine Jackson - former UD Titan/NBA)

I’ve seen him at a few UM games this year, so figured there was at least preliminary interest from the staff. I’ve seen him play at a few open gyms over the past year. He has very good change of direction, excellent court vision, but he is small - I’m talking 5’7 small. Jumpshot is average. Not really a good athlete. Really reminds me of a smaller Cassius Winston, but the jumpshot isn’t as good.

Offers from Auburn, NW, UD among others

Jermaine Jackson Jr. been at College Practice Camp too, maybe two years ago not this year. He’s definitely small, but nice player. Derrick Walton has worked out a lot with his dad as well.

Kid can definitely play, just a matter of size.

Macomb (Mich.) Dakota 2017 PG Jermaine Jackson Jr., offered by both DePaul and Georgia Tech.

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) April 13, 2015

Shane Larkin comes to mind here. And Yogi Ferrell. Jackson will most likely add at least a couple of inches in two years.

Does Jackson have bounce like Larkin? Just curious, because Shane could really get up, even if it didn’t manifest itself in Sportscent highlights. He is also really quick. Not to mention having a nice shot, handles, court vision and leadership. If that’s the realistic comparison, seriously, sign me up.

Nope, see my comment above

Macomb (Mich.) Dakota 2017 PG Jermaine Jackson Jr., offered by both DePaul and Georgia Tech.

Shane Larkin comes to mind here. And Yogi Ferrell. Jackson will most likely add at least a couple of inches in two years.

Difference is those kids are freak athletes, whereas Jackson is below average in that regard

Seems Christian David could stand to be a bit tougher

2017's Christian David (3/8 FG's) 7 PTS, 4 REB & Shamiel Stevenson had 4 PTS, 4 REB in their UPLAY debuts vs EG Central Stars @_uplaycanada

— Canadian Ballers (@Cdn_Ballers) April 11, 2015

1st time seeing fellow Filipino Canadian, Christian David, play live. Clearly talented and knows how to play. Needs to assert himself more

— Jeff Dosado (@coach_dosado) April 11, 2015

UM assistants, thinking Bacari, watching Michigan Mustangs…Brian Bowen recently switched from The Family to Michigan Mustangs. Probably giving Zavon Godwin a look as well.

Arizona, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, San Diego State, Vanderbilt, Nebraska are some of the schools watching Compton Magic/MI Mustangs

— Trevor Andershock (@INBBallSource) April 11, 2015
Seems Christian David could stand to be a bit tougher

2017's Christian David (3/8 FG's) 7 PTS, 4 REB & Shamiel Stevenson had 4 PTS, 4 REB in their UPLAY debuts vs EG Central Stars @_uplaycanada

— Canadian Ballers (@Cdn_Ballers) April 11, 2015

1st time seeing fellow Filipino Canadian, Christian David, play live. Clearly talented and knows how to play. Needs to assert himself more

— Jeff Dosado (@coach_dosado) April 11, 2015

Lacking toughness, right up JBs alley, right Matt?

I absolutely love this Thomas Murphy kid’s skill-set. That’s a big time player.

Christian David 17pts on 7-14, 5 reb, 2ast in the loss #adidasUprising

— Elias Sbiet (@Elias_NPH) April 11, 2015

JB watching Bowen & Austin Davis. Bacari already watched both earlier while JB was at Boo.

John Beilein, Johnny Dawkins and Bruce Pearl along with assistants from Missouri and Michigan St on hand for MBA Hoops vs Michigan Mustangs.

— Chip Miller (@BLUEChip_Miller) April 12, 2015

As mentioned in the Live Period Recap, I think JB was watching either AJ Brodeu or Tomas Murphy, both from NE Playaz. Since this is the 17 Recruiting thread, here is the Murphy Report.

Tomas Murphy is the brother of Erik Murphy (Chicago Bulls/Florida) and Alex Murphy (currently of Florida, formerly of Duke) a class of 17, 4 star, with offers from Florida, Maryland, Boston College.

Physical Dimensions: Murphy is listed at 6’7-8/195-200 lbs. Seems about right, but Murphy seems like he could afford to put on a good 20 lbs of muscle, but again, he’s only a sophomore.

Preliminary Opinion - if JB could draw up a PF for UM, Murphy would be it (at least on offense)…he would be a great fit at UM, no doubt in my mind. Reminds me of TJ Leaf with a post up game. He can shoot the ball from 3, has the ability to get buckets in the paint off isolation postups, has good footwork, good touch around the rim, good verticality. Can handle the ball a bit for a guy that size. Athletically he has above average bounce, but doesn’t move well laterally, and isn’t the strongest kid around. Think he will have some defensive issues in college on the perimeter if he is forced to play there. In any event, I can certainly see why the staff would like this kid, man he’s a really nice player on offense…that can score from a variety of spots on the floor.

Film below:

Looks like we have another big as a target…really trying to understand what’s going on here.

All Ohio Red 2017 6'9 C/PF Kaleb Wesson gaining interest from Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Bowling Green & Xavier pic.twitter.com/vg4A8VExPz

— MWPE (@MWPElite) April 12, 2015
Looks like we have another big as a target.............really trying to understand what's going on here.

All Ohio Red 2017 6'9 C/PF Kaleb Wesson gaining interest from Michigan, Iowa, Ohio State, Bowling Green & Xavier pic.twitter.com/vg4A8VExPz

— MWPE (@MWPElite) April 12, 2015

Even if a big isn’t a huge need in the 2017 class, I think the staff still needs to track and keep in contact with a few prospects. A lot can happen between now and then.

MattD, maybe it means Beilein wants to play some 2 big lineups…

I understand recruiting a big in 2017. Donnall will be a 5th year senior going into the season so Beilein at least has the option of going the route that he did with Max and McLImans.

No idea what’s going on in recruiting the 2016 bigs though.