2017 Recruiting Notes

I definitely respect your basketball knowledge and scouting…my first response was just commenting that he definitely looks like a very good player now, especially compared to his peers. And a lot always depends on how he develops. If he puts in the time to work on his guard skills and really improves, then good for him.

If I came across as saying he wasn’t very good, that is certainly not the impression I intended, as I openly stated that he is a nice player. No doubt a top 100 type talent with a shot like that and above average verticality. I look at Bowen and see a better version of Zak Irvin at the same age. Just don’t think he’s top 10 worthy with his current limitations. I look at a player like Esa Ahmad, with similar height, although much more put together, and see a much more balanced floor game on BOTH ends of the floor…and he’s only a top 50ish guy.

I don’t know much about shot mechanics, but it looks to me like his shot is a little slow and his release point is so far in front of him, seems like it’s pretty blockable with some decent D1 level defenders. Matt, any merit to that or am I completely off?

jaker - to put this in simple terms, Bowen doesn’t have a very high release point, and his shot looks to be a “push” rather than an extension. His shot very much reminds of Josh Childress. I think he may have some trouble getting that shot off against good defenders in college, especially off the dribble. I envision him as a catch and shoot guy in college, so I don’t know how much it will truly matter. Then again, Bowen does a good job of staying vertical on his jumpshot…whereas a lot of player jump forward, making it easier for the defender to block the shot. This will help mitigate his low/push release.

got it, thanks

Xavier Tillman

Christian David

I’m going to go ahead and call that Christian David is our first 2017 commitment.

Would love to see some more film on David, appears to have decent handle/change of direction and above average verticality. Few clips of him passing out of PnR is always exciting considering our system.

Was it Tillmans mom who played for UM?

Was it Tillmans mom who played for UM?

Yes.

looks Top 25 to me. Top 10 just gets nit-picky IMO unless it’s a strong class. Not every class has the haymakers.

Christian seems to have pretty good vision, even for a SG. Would be interested to see more film.

David has a Chandler Parsons type game and body in my view. Doesn’t do anything great, but does many things above average at that size. Not great vertically, but above average/good, but most importantly he seems to get off the floor quickly and makes multiple efforts. Some potential there to be a good defender.

Besides Bowen and Tillman, who might U-M offer from the state of Michigan ? Is there an early leader for Tillman ? He is just what U-M needs at PF

Who is Eke Donatus ? I hope we are all over this young man and he isas good as he sounds.

The University of Detroit-Jesuit’s 6’10” center/power forward Eke Donatus had to sit out last year and while potential is a big part of his #3 ranking he has produced in team camps this summer as well as over the spring and summer months his travel team. He runs like a deer, plays above the rim, blocks shots, and is a reliable offensive player from 15’ and in.

Goes to my school. Raw right now but will give updates once the season starts

Michigan head coach John Beilein is here at West Bloomfield HS for the Battle of the Best. Definitely here to see Brian Bowen at least.

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) December 20, 2014

Lot of nice things said about M by 2017 standout Jordan Tucker on Zagsblog today. He’s a top 25 6’ 7" wing player from New York, whose Grandpa went to M Law school. A very talented kid, who no doubt will have all the Bluebloods after him.

I hope UM is recruiting Kostas Antetkounmpo

Chez - can see what you are saying now, Tuggs looks to be at least average/above average with the handle from the film below (previous film didn’t reflect that). Still don’t think Tuggs is on the elite level of a Brown/Langford at the same stage of development, but certainly a VERY good player.