2017 Recruiting Notes

I don’t know the depth of his interest but if he’s visiting, thats a major step. Also shows he’s recruitable.

Just know we will be looking for a '17 PG and his game would be a good compliment to Poole and could play a combo role with he and Simpson playing together. Scruggs can penetrate and get to the hoop at will. Would provide plenty of kickouts to take advantage of Poole’s shot. Poole can get to the hole too, but not like Scruggs.

We need quick twitch guards and wings for this offense to work at full potential. Downfall of this years team is aside from LeVert and sometimes Walton, nobody is willing to penetrate, finish or knows what to do with the ball when they get past a defender. Even if we do penetrate sometimes, its not consistent enough. Irvin, Dawkins, Duncan, Wilson (for now) just don’t have the ball skills to get it done. MAAR can/will sometimes when he’s on or against lower competition.

Jamal Cain

Word is consistency is an issue.

Will be great one night, average at best the next.

I’ve see him twice this year and he was great both times. I know Pershing isn’t much anymore, but Cain has the athletic ability we need going forward.

Could’ve swore I saw him at a game recently. Maybe we’ve cooled on him lately. He’ll probably be just another local who goes elsewhere and shows out.

Sumner, Reynolds, Maten, Mathews, Johnson, Felder, Bass …

What the heck we’ve got ONE native son on the roster at least!

Thanks for the response, so you think they take a pure PG in 17 or more of a combo? Always thought it was a possibility they take one in the class but haven’t seen them mentioned with anyone other than West and Jackson.

Hope Beilein is on the same page as you with what we need to target, would be a bit of a change in philosophy but has to happen. Needs to be a shakeup in the type of skill they look for, get some kids who are athletic with the ball.

Cain was at the MSU game (sadly), and apparently several prior this year.

Don’t know anything about the kid, but I do hope we expand the net from the “perfect” profile/personality to accepting those with more upside even if it comes with some refinements necessary.

Think he was at the Xavier game as well…That one didn’t go well either.

I like his game too.

Just depends on how they view Poole and Scruggs. Poole can handle the ball but can he take a lead guard spot when Simpson sits? Brian Snow, regional guy from scout, does not view him as that type of player. A kid who could run an offense for 10 mins. I semi-disagree but whatever.

I haven’t watched enough of Scruggs to know exactly what kind of guard he is. But I do know the kid can get to the hoop, finish and has pretty good ball skills.

Do they want a true '16 PG and two combo types in '17? Do they want a true PG and Poole in '17? Idk, but I’m sure it depends on how the recruitments play out. Maybe their first preference is a true PG in "17 but if Scruggs wants in…you have to take him.

If I’m JB, I’m going after a scoring point who’s big enough to guard the 2, so he can play next to and behind Simpson.

Scruggs made it in

Southports 2017 6'3 PG Paul Scruggs Visting Univ of Michigan today for their game vs PURDUE lots of Indiana kids on the floor here.

— UA Indy Hoosiers (@Indyhoosiersbba) February 13, 2016

He saw a good one.

Sounds like he didn’t get an offer

Don’t know this as fact but I would imagine it’s kind of hard to get an offer on game day. I wouldn’t be shocked if there is an offer waiting for him that he gets a call from Coach Beilein sometime this week.

Has he gone through the academic tour, etc to get an offer?

No idea. But if he doesn’t get an offer, I think it becomes clear that Beilein only wants a 4 as of right now. And is just recruiting Scruggs just in case.

Scruggs will be getting an offer.

If they think they are solid at PG I think they need to go after anyone from any sport of 2,3,4. They need talent at all those spots and I’m sure they will have guys prioritized. They need higher level talent from this '17 class. Scruggs, bowen, young, whoever that may be.

1 Like

What do you think of him? I can’t tell and I usually feel like I have a good eye. It’s hard for me to evaluate the young pg sometimes. He seems very fundamental but he didn’t blow me away. Seemed small weak. Decent quickness nice handle/shot. Vertically seemed ok. Looked better on his warm up dunks. Didn’t see that jumping on the floor.

Xavier looks much better imo. Also many of the other guys we recruited in 16 I liked more. I still really like Lucas going to Illinois. Wonder how he will pan out

Must be getting serious if JB is going to watch him, was hoping we would get a bigger guard to pair with Xavier. It was mentioned above that I guess it depends on how they view Poole but wouldn’t mind them getting after a couple of other PG targets.