2017 Recruiting Notes

They are looking for a back up guard. With X coming in, unlikely to get a top 100 kid. After Walton leaves, no one n the roster to back up X. I don’t think that Poole is that guy.

Except I don’t think we have that scholarship to get the next “Spike”

We need playmakers desperately.

1 Like

We are in no shape to use a scholarship on a projected back-up at any position.

We won’t know the situation on scholarships until after this season. I doubt that West, if he got an offer, would get one before the dust settles, at the earliest.

1 Like

Good point. There is bound to be some attrition, which should clarify all scholarship things tremendously. There is a reason JB is looking and it’s not just because he’s got nothing else to do.

1 Like

Oh I’m sure - and I have no problem with the coaches “recruiting” all they want.
I just hope when the dust settles that we get a nice playmaker OR lockdown defender.

Poole is an awesome start to the 2017 class though. I REALLY like his game.

1 Like

Abdul-Rachman will be here two more years for PG back up duty, if needed.

2 Likes

I think the idea that UM couldn’t land a top 100 PG because we got a top 100 kid last year is underwhelming at best. I think it shows a lot

Beilein wouldn’t go see West unless he truly thought he had a chance with him. From my understanding WVU isn’t recruiting him very hard considering he is in-state and his Dad is an alum.

Why wouldn’t WVU want him? (I don’t think they’re recruiting any PG in '16 or '17)

They have Beetle Bolton sitting out this year after he tore his ACL in the preseason. They also signed two other guards in Brandon Knapper (smallish guard) and Chase Harler (a 6’4" shooter). Don’t know if there is a need for them in that class. Would think they’ll hit the JUCO ranks and hit 2018 hard for guards.

1 Like

JB was in Detroit tonight there were a few jokes being said in the stands “this is the 1st time we’ve seen this guy in the city” at the Cornerstone Game. Hopefully his mindset is shifting by recruiting all kids from all areas.

2 Likes

Awesome interview from Jordan Poole. He’s got the attitude this team needs.

http://uofmdiehards.com/2016/02/18/interview-with-michigan-2017-4-pg-commit-jordan-poole/

Keeping up with the Ohio connection we should go after culver. That kid is a beast. He could play the five for us. Kyle young still not in the top sixty. Hard for me to believe.

1 Like

He had a hell of a game last night in front of Beilein. He has had a hell of a year too. I hope Beilein gets him, or at least goes all in on him before it is too late.

Culver is a really nice looking player – strong, athletic finisher. However like Tillman I wouldn’t get my hopes up. More likely we don’t pursue and end up reading about how he presents a matchup problem for us in some future OSU/MSU/Indiana game preview.

Beilein was also looking at '18 PG David DeJulius in the Cornerstone game. DeJulius a top three instate kid, with a monster future. He had 24 last night.

I saw Beilein at the PSL championship FWIW. I assume he was watching Greg Elliot? Not completely sure though. Speaking of EEVP, I am surprised Kamari Newman didn’t get any high major looks. I always thought he should be getting looks other than George Mason.

Beilein can do a lot worse than Greg Elliot, but if he is tracking Elliot, I am not sure what he didn’t see in Newman. I think Kamari has higher upside