2017 Recruiting Notes

Yes. I’d love that and thought the same thing when I saw him. He’s ideal for us. Also we have a good track record with players sons. They seem to respect coach b and his devolpnrnt/ teaching the game the right way ect. Sign me up on him. Great player in the making. Great athlete. Would be a monster

1 Like

Good update with Brian Bowen.

There’s been a perception of you going to Michigan State because of your relationship with Jason Richardson. Is that the case?

No, not at all.

Does that affect your recruitment that people think that?

I think it really does. A lot of schools have told me that, “I thought you were one hundred percent Michigan State.” I’m really not. I’m an open recruitment guy. I like Michigan State a lot, but I’m an open recruitment guy.

I’d like to go through some of the schools that you mentioned. With Michigan, what’s their major selling pitch?

It’s a great school, academically and athletics. They see me going in there like a guys like Caris LeVert at the two-guard position and bringing out the best in me and just move forward in our recruitment and see what they’re talking about for the future.

Have you been on the campus since June?

Yes, I’ve been on the campus one time this year, but they want me to come back down there to spend some time with them for a little while.

Hey Dylan, any idea why Bowen doesn’t have an offer yet? Think it would be safe to say he is our top target outside of the offers? Really need a creator or two on the wing in the next few commitments we take.

Disappointed to see Kris Wilkes not mention us in a recent update, was hoping he, Bowen and Jordan Tucker were at the top of our list. Thanks

That sounds nice, but he’s not coming here

Any news on Kyle young?I really have my heart set on him as our next signee. I really think he’d shine here. Just looks like a winner. Overachiever written all over him. Adding him with Simpson, teske and Davis would be a nice change of direction. Lots of defense, lots of toughness. Kids with a hard nosed lunch pail attitude would be a great change of pace. Especially blending them with the finesse shooters we got. I hope he takes us up on our offer. I could see him rise easy. Especially when he leads his roster over bridges and Huntington. You gotta give him props on that. He’s sneaky athletic too. And he can shoot. I could have seen him with bo Ryan or with butler.

Let’s hope he comes. Gotta be his biggest offer depending on how you rate us versus Wisconsin or Butler.
Simpson
Rahkman
Dawkins
Robinson
Wagner

Young Watson Davis teske Poole. I like that. I could see a mass exodus of transfers. I see Doyle and chatman leaving. I wish chatman would stay. He could seize big minutes next year. I really see flashes in his game still, plus he gives us a weird element. Great passer, I can see him operating mid range and block with his back to basket. I was hoping we’d take off today and then see him get some big minutes along with Wagner and Wilson. What if we lost chatman, Doyle and Wilson? Try and steal Justin Jackson already coach, enough with the nice guy crap.

Simpson + Rahk would be one heck of a defensive backcourt and aggressive offensively (dribble pen).

Really wonder when and if Cain will get an offer, hate to see him go to Xavier or somewhere else and blow up like Sumner.

Couple of names I have seen us mentioned with in articles recently CG Jay Jay Chandler, wing Christian David (some thought he got get an offer awhile ago, apparently is playing really well) and a big Sterling Manley (teammate of Ibi Watson).

Seems like the staff is still on some bigs for the 17 class, really makes me wonder what the staff wants out of this class. Definitely going to need 3/4 type since we don’t really have that besides Chatman and would think another wing who create off the bounce. One could also argue we are going to need a backup point.

With the scholarship situation as it is now, biggest need for 2017 is guard (preferably a point). I assume that Beilein is just recruiting around and not handing out offers because he’d only accept a non-point if there is unexpected attrition.

For what’s it worth two days ago guy from nextup recruits gave us the crystal ball pick for my boy Kyle young. I don’t buy that ranking after watching numerous high lights. Looks like he plays real tough competition too. Him and Poole would be a good class with big potential to rise.

Any other news? I search the Internet for articles all day at work and seem to rarely see many updates for us. If it’s not posted here I don’t see much. I’d like some other names we’ve been connected with

Those are youngs midseason highlights. Including many versus Huntington. Also they got a six minute video of Massillon versus Huntington up on YouTube. Let’s get this done already full court press him. Steal Justin Jackson and then sign one more guard in 17. Profit?

So you think point is the top priority? I have no clue, only thing to assume is we shouldn’t need a 5 since that position takes up 6 ships next year. Is the end goal to have Mo as a 4 or does he stay at the 5?

Yeah, I’d definitely say point is a top priority. Look at our roster for 2017 right now,

1 - Simpson
1/2 - Rahk - Poole
2/3 - Watson
3 - Dawkins
3/4 - Robinson
4 - Chatman
4/5 - Wagner - Wilson
5 - Donnal, Doyle, Teske, Davis

With primary position only as

1 - Simpson
2 - Rahk - Poole - Watson
3 - Robinson - Dawkins
4 - Wagner - Wilson - Chatman
5 - Donnal - Doyle - Teske - Davis

Although we have to take into account that one of Chatman or Doyle won’t be on the roster (unless Irvin goes pro this year or something), freeing up one spot for 2017 as of now. Wagner/Wilson pretty much have to be full time 4s because we have at least three guys who are exclusive 5s. And right now, we only have four guys with the ability to play guard (which has been the case the past two years and has been an issue when injuries come up), so we definitely need another guard as the first priority. And from looking you can see that backup point is the main hole, unless Beilein feels really confident in Rahk/Poole’s ability to handle.

1 Like

Yes please!

Is there going to be any Recruiting updates at all on the site with the 2016 and '17 class. Seems like its been 6 months since anything :grinning:

Well we only have 3 offers outstanding, one of which is already committed. Not gonna be that much recruiting news.

There just haven’t been any recruiting news at all really on any '17 kid.

May have a 5* visitor coming in soon.

Might you be referring to Paul Scruggs? Saw a scout article that said he might be in this weekend for Purdue. Not going to get my hopes up but he is the exact type of guard we need, known for his toughness. Might he get an offer if he does show? Always wondered if Kris Wilkes was still a serious target.

Also saw something a couple weeks ago about wing Jordan Tucker hearing more from us.

Yea, love Scruggs game.