2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Seems like Beilein is really developing some momentum here; kudos, John.

1 Like

3 Likes

Having two solid PG set for the next few years makes me wonder, does that help recruit front-court players? Youā€™d think they would like to have a PG someone who can set them up. Now we are covered for all PG minutes going forward.

1 Like

There are plenty of minutes in the backcourt after his freshman season.
Weā€™ll lose Robinson and MAAR which leaves the backcourt with Xavier, Poole, and Brooks.
(depending how you count Watson and Mathews - neither a primary ball handler)
Plus a ā€œbackupā€ PG can get good minutes, especially if heā€™s capable and can hit shots.

So at this pointā€¦the minutes have to look appealing.

Figured I provide some more recent film for you guys to look at while you wait on Dylan. This is film of Brooks from April of this year. Iā€™m very skeptical based on the limited film Iā€™ve seen, although its possible heā€™s improved tremendously from the 4min HS film already posted. The 4 minute clip is full of Brooks literally playing the post at 6ā€™1 against suspect competition. His handle looked very loose, and his movements appear very awkward in that clip IMO. For a PG, his handle just looks very loose in my opinion based on the limited film Iā€™ve seen. Looks to be another catch and shoot type, so Iā€™m curious to see what Dylanā€™s film reflects. A few impressive plays starting at the 3:20 mark though.

I agree but I only saw the one video. Has he done well against high competition? Has he played any bigger aau squads?

How much PnR do they run in that setting? Doesnā€™t look like much at all. His HS team uses it a lot and he looks good in it. Now while I would prefer he didnā€™t need to use PnR to create space, our offense uses a lot of PnR.

Not based on what Iā€™ve seen in limited film - his HS team uses a dribble handoff offense similar to Oakland U

Thanks for posting. Obviously limited footage, but release on shot is high and quick and passing vision looked solid. Also thought he may have had decent first step.

Agreed that the HS film isnt what I would like it to be, but caveat that with it being his Soph film. As he has been a recent riser, I am trying to take that with a grain of salt. That film that you posted isnt bad, but like you said mostly catch and shoot. To that end, I dont know how you make the claim that his handle is loose. There just doesnt seem to be much film to that capacity. You also have a better eye for the situation so can defer to your judgement.

I saw quite a bit of ballscreens in the Dallastown game.

Maybe the game I watched was a fluke, but he showed a lot more than just catch and shoot. Considering he averaged something like 25ppg and only 2 or 2.5 3pFG per game, heā€™s obviously scoring in other ways.

Strengths: In his area, Brooks is known as a scorer,
putting up over 25 ppg for Spring Grove High School as a junior.
However, his biggest strength is his ability to run a team. Brooks plays
the game at a great pace. He never allows the defense to speed him up,
and makes his teammates better every time he touches the floor. His jump
shot has continued to improve and he his now knocking down outside
shots on a consistent basis."

Maybe his strenghts donā€™t play well at the AAU circuit from the PG position. He doesnā€™t have great handle so itā€™s not surprising that his scoring would be down in a setting that is a lot of ISO. Iā€™ve only watched one full game and I think he is more than capable of backing up Simpson at this level.

Nice pickup. A bit of a tough spot recruiting a PG the year after Simpson, and JB and Donlon yoink a guy from Wright and Matta. Looks to have a diverse skill set ā€“ can shoot, pass, handle ā€“ long enough to play in a two-PG set. With Simpson, Poole, Brooks, etc., in the fold, UM is set up to have a dynamic backcourt for the next few years.

I put it in the context of the HS film. Very possible that heā€™s a much better ballhandler in relation to the 4min HS clip.

If you have seen him live, you know way more than me. I am trying to get a feel for the kid on the very limited film that I have seen and also considering the age & context of the film. If he only brings the two lines that you bolded to the team, I am happy with him. I am happy that we have our bases covered between him and X. This is a solid direction, not amazing, but definitely solid IMO.

I hope that he is a better ball handler than the HS film too.

I didnā€™t see him live. There are just a few full games of Spring Grove basketball on YouTube.

1 Like

2nd team All-AAAA (highest level in PA I believe) team as a Junior.

The truth is that none of us really know what the player UM, Nova, and OSU offered looks like b/c we havenā€™t had a chance to see the recent film. None of those schools were offering based on the footage we saw, particularly the extended sophomore package.

3 Likes

Some more thoughts - film below is from the YAIAA championship game in Feb. 2016

*Comp level appears to be poor (not Austin Davis poor comp, but still very poor)

*Brooks doesnā€™t appear to play PG in HS

*His HS appears to run a lot of off ball screen/motion and dribble handoff sets vs PnR sets

*Brooks appears to be more of a catch and shoot type rather than a creating PG