2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Everyone on the court looks the exact same height lol

Article from Quinn on Brooks and Donlon:

1 Like

Will post some highlights this afternoon. Heā€™s definitely a point guard.

So did he get the offer without having taken an official visit?

Official visit is not a requirement for an offer. Just a full visit with the academic tour (can be official or unofficial).

Brooks visited in late June, I think June 19th, as weā€™ve mentioned a few times on the board and page.

1 Like

Beating out the national champion from the previous year plus our 2nd biggest basketball rival is always good.

Feel much better about Brooks after seeing that film. Think we couldā€™ve waited and landed a prospect with more talent in either 17 or 18 though.

Some quick thoughts on the video I posted:

• Great feel for the game, finds guys very well across the court ā€“ especially in transition. Showed ability to find guys in the PNR.
  • Good shooter, can knock down shots off the bounce. Quick release, range to three.
  • I think heā€™s bigger than X, legit 6-1 sounds fair. He has shown he can elevate and throw it down. Also a few crafty moves to finish around the rim.
  • Think he has some good wiggle, could break guys down off the bounce occasionally when he needed to.
  • Quick with the ball, not sure how great heā€™ll be defensively early on and tough to judge given level of competition.
  • I like how he plays, we can harp on the good/bad competition thing all we wantā€¦ You canā€™t change it, and it will be interesting to see how he handles a step up eventually but almost impossible to project.
  • If Xavier is your starting point guard, I think Brooks has the sort of mature game that heā€™ll be able to come off the bench and run pick and rolls in bunches as a change up to the offense.

If you are going to take a PG, and it is pretty clear that they were going to take a PG, Iā€™m not sure Nojel Eastern is worth the risk of waiting out Brooks ā€“ given the lack of other serious targets at that spot.

I think he can push it for sure, I also think heā€™s pretty well controlled. Doesnā€™t rush the game when he plays. I wouldnā€™t say heā€™s a Tum Tum Nairn type of guy with the ball, but he gets where he needs to be.

I think his offensive game translates pretty well to the one at Michigan. Donā€™t really see the ā€˜combo guardā€™ thing at all.

Definitely a recent development, but a lot of attention to Davison, Eastern and Brooks over the last two months.

Letā€™s look at the big pictureā€¦ How are we grading a backcourt of Simpson, Brooks, Matthews, Poole and Watson.

Itā€™s basically those guys over two classes thatā€™ll be the future of the U-M guard rotation. How good can that group be? How well do the complement each other? I think itā€™s a pretty solid blend of length, shooting, athleticism in different spots.

1 Like

That description sounds like the senior version of Marcus Paige. Nothing happens in a vacuum. We already have Matthews on board. If we can finish this class with some combination of Cain, Wilkes, Tillman, and Livers, Iā€™ll think we have a nice balance in the 2017 class.

Iā€™m not seeing the small ā€œcombo guardā€ thing either. I think Brooks fits Beileinā€™s offense as a true PG with his ability to play off of ball screens. That jump shot and quick release he has coming off a screen could be lethal.

1 Like

Iā€™ve seen several nice dumpoffs in the game and a half Iā€™ve watched. I donā€™t think he is dumping off to very good bigs, though. Also, when you drive and kick out a lot, itā€™s nice that those kickouts will be to guys like Jordan Poole and Duncan Robinson.

Regarding lack of competition, again he was 2nd team all state in PAā€™s highest class (AAAA). If PA has a Mr. Basketball award, Eli Brooks would be heading into 2017 as one of the favorites if not the favorite himself.

I think he has a quick release.

I think Eli Brooks is talented. I donā€™t think he will take Xā€™s starting position, but having a high-IQ player that fits in the offense in terms of ball control and shooting at the locked up at backup PG for 4 years isnā€™t a bad thingā€¦ ā€œif weā€™re being honestā€.

1. I didnā€™t say he would be an ISO player. In fact, Iā€™ve said the opposite. Read, please.

2. I didnā€™t give an opinion on level of competition. Itā€™s not a matter of agreeing with me. I stated a fact that he plays (AAAA) basketball in PA and was a (AAAA) 2nd team All-State player.

3. My opinion is that he would likely be one of the favorites for PA Mr. Basketball if they have it considering he was one of only 3 JRs to make the 1st or 2nd team All-State last season.

4 Likes

No, I donā€™t think ā€œweā€™d all agree.ā€ I think this is a clear talent upgrade over Spike/Dakich. You get 13 scholarships. I think having 2 scholarship PGs is prudent.

We could have tried waiting for a more talented '17 prospect, but then we run the risk of getting shut out.

4 Likes

I believe we are getting a serious talent upgrade with Simpson, Poole, and Matthews. Brooks is a nice piece of the puzzle. Not every player is going to be a ā€œserious talent upgradeā€ and with those players I like to see nice fit. I think Brooks is a nice fit.

1 Like