2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

Talked a few people re: Villanova offer. It was ‘commitable’ from what I understand and it’s a pretty huge surprise that he spurned the Wildcats. They had been tracking him just as closely as Michigan.

If I had to guess, one big difference was that the Michigan sell was for a better situation to play a more prominent role sooner in his career than at Nova.

5 Likes

@guestavo

Thoughts?

Watching some film of him from an April Hoop Group tourney… He can play, love his offensive feel and his shot release is really really quick. Gets in the lane and distributes as well. Need to watch some more and hopefully can put together a video for you guys.

2 Likes

I’ll ask this knowing you hate comparisons.

Comparison?

So now our future is brooks Simpson Watson Poole time to add some solid 3-4-5

Some are assuming that he’s signing up to be X’s backup, but it remains to be seen. Competition is a good thing and EB might give X a run for his money when all is said and done.

2 Likes

agree with that.

Bottom line is that Eli and X will basically man the point guard spot for the three years after this coming season.

1 Like

I feel like Simpson-Brooks have a floor of Walton-Albrecht with a much higher ceiling.

2 Likes

I really feel like we’re going to see some nice continuity for the next 3-4 years. The core should be decent as underclassmen but I think they have the potential to do some damage once they get experience.

A bird in the hand…

Guy seems solid, and its good that our “reach” recruits are close to 100 and not 300. Still not convinced we had to aim for a PG here, and if we did, hope it was for something special. He may be just that so I’ll fall in the “i don’t know” camp for the time being having seen next to nothing on him, but Eastern’s length was pretty intriguing.

We have a lot of time, and some strong offers on the board. Hoping we don’t do any worse than Cain with the last two slots.

I would agree with what you say. I liked Eastern a lot more that doesn’t mean Brooks can’t provide value but you can probably never play Simpson/Brooks together and that eliminates any flexibility. I said earlier I imagine they only get 1 more recruit instead of 2 because that leaves you with 1 scholarship for 18. In 17 they were in on a lot of guys like Young/Jackson/Cain/Wilkes. I am a big Livers fan as well and if you told me a couple days ago they would most likely only get 1 of these guys it would be a bit disappointing.

They can get two and still have 2-3 for 2018

We’re looking for a third guard, someone to potentially back up X and play some two. It’s going to be pretty hard to find a five star recruit who wants to do that. So I think you look for solid program guys (like Spike, or a Stu Douglas) with potential upside. This kid seems to fit the criteria.

Why do you keep saying that adding two more recruits in '17 would leave one scholarship for ‘18 when Dylan keeps telling you that we’d have two (the spots being vacated by MAAR and Duncan Robinson) and a third if, as expected, D.J. Wilson doesn’t get a fifth year? And why do you keep saying that you can probably never play Simpson/Brooks together when (a) Beilein has played Walton and Albrecht (and even Burke and Albrecht) together, and (b) Brooks’ ability to shoot makes him a pretty good match for Simpson in a two guard set. You “liked Eastern a lot more,” and he’s certainly rated more highly as an overall player, but one of the questions about Nojel was whether he could play alongside Simpson because he isn’t a strong, or even average shooter.

3 Likes

I already said not counting attrition because we would just be playing a guessing game at that point. I wasn’t a big fan of Walton/Albrecht in at the same time it was a horrible defensive lineup. Maybe Simpson/Brooks could survive defensively but after seeing Walton/Albrecht struggle defensively I don’t want to play that game again. Unless you believe Simpson/Brooks and pick another 3 can be one of the best offenses in Michigan history. That’s interesting you bring that up with Nojel it didn’t seem to be a concern since he was offered a few days ago.

Not that it matters…and I don’t want to speak for anyone else but one reason it is difficult to imagine x/ brooks playing at the same time is they are both very short and lightweight. I would not be shocked to discover that Simpson was actually 5’10" in shoes and Brooks is actually under 6. Both seem to be tiny.

Eli Brooks looks legit 6’1.

You continue to build arguments based on false statements. Michigan has two more spots to use in 2017 and two spots to use in 2018. That’s without any attrition.

There’s also a very real chance that DJ Wilson (would be a redshirt senior) or Moritz Wagner could be somewhere else by 2018.

2 Likes