2017 - PG - Eli Brooks (Commit)

He’ll be ranked plenty high the spring. Not worried one bit about his “ranking”.

Maybe. But even just on the surface level it looks like that (particularly with Brooks being a lifelong Nova fan). I just don’t think we should try to spin the narrative that this dude was a top Nova priority and thus is guaranteed to be an under the radar stud. We’ll see how good he is, but there’s nothing out there that is getting me super excited yet. And I think it’s fair to say that…

1 Like

That dunk was surprising. Didn’t see him even attempt a dunk in the Dallastown game and then he splits the defenders and throws it down with authority in that AAU clip. Nice.

No one is running with that narrative. You just made that up.

4 Likes

I mean, literally no one here has considered him an under the radar stud. Where the heck did that come from?

Voltron_Blue was implying that narrative. My language was maybe too strong, but it annoys me when people just go out of their way to prop up the team’s roster moves no matter what. We know almost nothing about this kid (which is a bad thing in recruiting), seems like the response should be trepidation or “I don’t know”.

Like the pickup. He’s going to be a real nice complement (scoring guard) to Xavier.
Plus good talent that will stay 4 years.
Plus now we can focus on the wing/forward spot with the backcourt filled up.

4 Likes

Voltron_Blue was correct in everything he said. He’ll be ranked by everyone soon and he’s got good offers. Looks like you’re trying to find a reason not to like him.

Doesn’t matter…

3 Likes

"Both Rivals and Scout expect to have him in the low 4 star, high 3 star range in their next updates. He’s blowing up real time, hadn’t been ranked previously.

Safe to say Nova has a good reputation with guards. He also has an Ohio State offer."

Nowhere does he imply that Eli Brooks is an under the radar stud. My initial response to my friend who text me was “who?” and then I came home and watched his highlights and then a full game and saw why Beilein would consider him a fit in this offense.

I’m not against it, I haven’t seen him play just heard his name on here but why do you say no one else was coming? Eastern seemed like a real target and then Beardsley mentioned.

Who knows how real each were. I was very excited about Beardsley news too. Oh well.

As opposed to creating strawmen to diminish a commitment?

1 Like

I think Brooks is a better fit for Beilein’s offense than Bearden is.

COBL posted this report after watching him all week:
http://www.cityofbasketballlove.com/eli-brooks

Strengths: In his area, Brooks is known as a scorer, putting up over 25 ppg for Spring Grove High School as a junior. However, his biggest strength is his ability to run a team. Brooks plays the game at a great pace. He never allows the defense to speed him up, and makes his teammates better every time he touches the floor. His jump shot has continued to improve and he his now knocking down outside shots on a consistent basis.

Weaknesses: One concern for Brooks heading into the summer will be his lateral quickness. During the high school season he is not challenged to defend on a consistent basis; it will be interesting to see during the AAU season how he keeps more athletic guards in front of him.

Overall: A super-stock riser over the last few months, Brooks’ amazing 2016 summer was capped off with a commitment to Michigan. But he’s proven he’s a true high-major guard of late – he’s completely unflappable, limits his mistakes as well as anybody around, and is a knockdown shooter from all over the court who also makes his teammates better both in his style of play and his leadership. Has been a winner at every level and will only make a program better at the high-major level, even if he’s not a four-year starter.

2 Likes

Well he is objectively “under the radar” and I think it was very much implied in that post that since he has a Nova offer he is good. That is what I was referring to. Like I said, my use of the word “stud” may have been too strong but you know what I meant.

Not saying that I am excited but JB’s tracking record with under the radar recruits is more than solid.

So his “Overall” reads exactly the type of player we’d love to have backing up Simpson for 3 years and taking over as a senior PG.

Adding offers from Villanova, Ohio State and NC State after two weeks of having college coaches watch you play game after game is generally a pretty good endorsement.

4 Likes

Well your use of the word “stud” is what made it a strawman. The fact is the Brooks had a very nice 2016 summer and that is likely going to be reflected when Scout and Rivals update their 2017 rankings as it has already been reflected by 247.

I mean, watch his tape. It’s not hard to see things the kid does well that make him deserving of the #112 ranking 247 gives him.

I watched that 4.5 minute highlight video that’s been going around as soon as I heard about the commitment (and before I came here).

Which is from his sophomore season (FWIW)

2 Likes