2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

Thanks for the inside info MattD. Always appreciated!

That was the best picture he could pick to represent the visit? Haha.

4 Likes

But yeah, Iā€™d be interested in what heā€™s posted about other visits to compare. ā€œMagicalā€ is about as high of praise as you can get.

The real question is: ā€œDid Beilein actually offer him?ā€

On his Instagram I didnā€™t see any other posts on visits. Granted he only has 11 posts.

Are recruits allowed to visit with guest celebrities? I didnā€™t think they could.

I donā€™t think they are allowed to unless they have signed an NLI or something like that. Although, Iā€™m pretty sure I saw a snapchat video of our recruits shaking hands with Jordan anyway.

Someone on the national board is insisting that the only reason Bamba visited Michigan was to meet Michael Jordan. That seems like something youā€™d read on RCMB.

You do make a valid point, with him being away at prep.

While having a good season doesnā€™t hurt I think we have seen recently that on court results donā€™t seem to Move the meter much either way in our recruiting.

Iā€™m pretty sure they can be introduced to them but there canā€™t be anything formal in the conversation.

For example, Harrison Barnes met MJ when he took his official visit to UNC but there wasnā€™t much of a conversation. Iā€™m pretty sure the compliance office is all over that kind of stuff.

Everything I read about Bamba makes me think Michigan has a legit shot. Belein is one of the best offensive minds in the game and Bamba favors a position-less system.

He is also interested in academics and more specifically alumni network. Michigan should knock that out of the park.

4 Likes

The Nike Jumpman collaboration may help level the playing field ---- or more specifically reduce the handicap Michigan had with its past basketball merchandising set

Haha, I wouldnā€™t get hopes up about alumni network of all things being a decider for a 5 star recruit. I think itā€™s just gonna come down to whether Mo falls in love with Michigan or not. I feel like he just needs to absolutely love the campus experience/Beilein. Thatā€™s really the only thing that could make you pass up a blue blood like UNC/Duke.

Isnā€™t it weird that he visited Harvard then? Why? Theyā€™re not even close to offering the same level of basketball as NC/Duke/KY. The only thing they have to offer would be academics/alumni network.

Also isnā€™t it weird then that heā€™d waste an official on us? Why? Just for a football experience? Just to meet MJ? I donā€™t knowā€¦it seems highly unlikely but curious

I donā€™t understand why you would so easily dismiss the idea that alumni network should be an important consideration and might be a consideration with Mo. He sounds like a very smart kid who is very aware that a basketball career can end at any time and in the best scenarios basketball lasts until your mid 30ā€™s.

Based upon what I have read, I also get the feeling that we have a legit shot with Bambaā€¦

2 Likes

This is kind of a silly question. How many recruits have taken an official visit to Michigan and left without an offer? Baruti is the only one I can think of and he had some obvious potential eligibility issues.

Michigan isnā€™t going to bring the No. 3 kid in the country in for an OV and not offer him.

The catch is that Bamba essentially doesnā€™t talk to reportersā€¦ How many interviews has he done away from any public event interview in person?

2 Likes

Iā€™m thinking Poole was our biggest recruiter with Mamba over the weekend.

1 Like

A LOT of recruits say that academics matter to them and then make decisions antithetical to that (Iā€™ll never forget Dashawn Hand saying that he picked Alabama over Michigan because of their Engineering program). Iā€™m sure he and his family do actually care about that and want to make a decision with that in mind. But from an objective stand point, academics just arenā€™t that important to Bambaā€™s future, and people tend to come to that realization as they get deeper into the process.

Not saying we donā€™t have a chance or that he isnā€™t seriously considering us, but I donā€™t think academics is gonna be enough to turn down NBA factories like Kentucky and Duke. Heā€™s gonna have to have a serious love for Michigan to turn down everything they can offer him.

1 Like

I guess I just donā€™t see that much distinguishing an official from an unofficial (besides that prospects outside the Midwest need to use officials if they are gonna feasibly visit UM) from Michiganā€™s end, and itā€™s very much within Beileinā€™s MO to bring in prospects and not offer them no matter how highly ranked they are. Didnā€™t 5 star PG Paul Scruggs take the full academic tour just a few months ago and leave without an offer?

I feel like I could very easily seeing him say, ā€œWeā€™d love to offer you, but we just donā€™t have the spots on the depth chart to do it right now.ā€

Really my suspicion has arisen just because absolute nothing has come out about him being offered. Sam Webb has been doing digging on it and heā€™s gotten no information on it. And he has sources inside the coaching staff as well as with prospectsā€¦