2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

The biggest difference is that you need to provide transcripts and test scores to be eligible to take an official visit (you don’t have to be qualified, just have to at least provide that info). Also a pre-req for Michigan to offer, but not required to take an unofficial visit anywhere.

1 Like

I don’t think we’ll get Bamba but I do think it’s odd that he’d visit Harvard and Michigan if he’s being recruiting by the blue bloods. It gives some credit to him that he’s interested in academics/alumni network. Why else would he visit? A visit is pretty serious.

In your example, Hand picked a Top 5 program over another Top 5 program. That’s not what we’re discussing with Bamba. It would be like if Hand took a visit to Northwestern. It wouldn’t make sense unless he was serious about what he was saying (even to a small extent).

Not really in terms of ACT/SAT scores. A prospect cannot take an official visit before the first day of senior year if said prospect has not taken the ACT/SAT, but does have the ability to take an OV after that first day, even if the ACT/SAT test has not been taken.

I think his interest in having a serious academic (even if 1y) college experience is legit based on the little bit he has put out. If one presumes that is reasonable, then Duke would be the #1 threat and Kentucky wouldn’t really be a serious consideration.

I think we will lose a lot of battles going after targets who value Kentucky’s NBADL model, but if we get put in a comparison with Duke and Harvard with enough high caliber guys, we stand a fair shot of being the “just right” option for those who want more basketball credibility than Harvard, but less spotlight or more PT than what they get at Duke (PT not a concern for Bamba but may be for guys in the 25-75 range).

1 Like

Was going off of this http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/10/01/preparing-official-visits.htm but that makes sense.

Getting Eligible for Official Visits

To take an official visit in Division I or Division II, a prospect needs to do the following:

Register with the NCAA Eligibility Center;
Be added to a school’s institutional request list at the NCAA Eligibility Center;
Provide the school with a transcript; and
Provide the school with a standardized test score.

Either way, the transcripts are obviously key.

Every year there are top-10 players that don’t go to Duke or Kentucky. Some prefer other places or think other places have more to offer. And you never know what’s going to happen in life. Bamba likely will make the NBA just as well from a bunch of schools other than “the bluebloods,” so it makes sense to consider other factors. But, of course, there’s great appeal to those schools.

1 Like

I can certainly confirm this. JB does NOT offer without reviewing transcripts, and quite frankly, I don’t think prospects get to visit without JB reviewing transcripts. If a prospect gets offered by JB, he will be eligible, period.

1 Like

I think you’re misunderstanding the Hand situation. Hoke essentially told him he couldn’t get into (or at least stay on top of) Michigan’s engineering program BECAUSE it’s so good. So for Hand, choosing a school where he could actually major in his area of interest, it WAS a legit academic decision.

In other cases, student athletes are referring to the academic SUPPORT they would require to stay afloat while balancing athletics, rather than just the top rated program. Remember that we’re talking about kids with elite athletic skills…not many of them are also blessed with elite academic skills that truly top schools like Michigan often require, even if they genuinely value the education.

Did Myron Rolle err when he chose Florida State over Michigan for academics? Hard to fault a Rhodes Scholar…

3 Likes

UMhoopsFan makes a good point. The fact that Bamba is very likely to get drafted as a lottery pick no matter which college he goes to, might, in his mind, and rightfully so, elevate the importance of other non basketball concerns like academics and alumni networks.

I tend to agree for the most part, but we thought the same thing about Mitch McGary, at least I did. The system, as opposed to the school, especially in the context of a big considering UM, would be of great concern to me if my kid were being recruited by UM.

If Bamba was a low post center, ala Okafor, Stone, etc., I would understand this concern, but I’ve seen no evidence in the film I’ve watched that he’s anything like that. He’s a finisher, rather than a guy who needs the ball in his hands to contribute, and a guy who can run the floor and even play some on the perimeter. Of all the highly ranked bigs I’ve seen recently, he’d be the best fit for a Michigan type system.

1 Like

I understand that Mitch is the only blue-chip big man that JB has landed, but I don’t think it’s a great comparison.

First, Mitch had dropped quite a bit in most (if not all) rankings by the time he finished high school. ESPN ranked him at 27 and Scout had him at 30. We were all still really excited about him, but that isn’t can’t miss territory. That’s not to say that Bamba won’t have a similar slide, but I doubt he will based on what I’ve read about him.

Second, McGary has good, but not great measurables. Bamba has ridiculous measurables–7’0 with a 7’9 wingspan. He’s skinny, but athletic and agile for his size.

Finally, McGary had some injury and conditioning problems during his time at Michigan. Even so, he likely would have been a lottery pick (or close to it) if he declared after his freshman year. I don’t think our system hurt Mitch. His body did.

2 Likes

You pretty much described Mitch McGary in a nuthshell. This sort of supports my contention even more. Although I openly acknowledge Bamba certainly has superior athleticism.

I Don’t want to rehash old arguments but I disagree with the prevailing wisdom that UM is a bad place for bigs. I just think the idea is a myth and somewhat anachronistic given changes in the game over the last 20 years… I actually think UM is one of the best places for guys who have a well rounded game and who also happen to be big!

Bamba would shine here with his size and agility.

1 Like

Hypothetically I agree with you, unfortunately that hasn’t come to fruition in terms of production. As you say given the changes in the game over the last 20 years, centers now catch lobs and block shots rather than display a back to the basket game. UM has not shown the ability to either obtain or develop a center with such abilities under Beilein, hence its a huge concern.

2 Likes

I can agree with that argument because you are right it has not materialized yet (not quite even with Mitch but we had flashes of the possibility)… It might take a really smart kid to realize what our offense could look like with a tall, agile, athletic, well rounded center. Maybe Bamba can envision the possibilities…I hope so.

1 Like

Not saying we are capable of it or willing to do it, but the changes in the NBA we are seeing now with a stretch-5 type similar to Porzingis and Myles Turner should create an opportunity to build a “development plan” around that sort of capability if it continues to be seen in the league. May not apply to Bamba’s skillset, but I could see Mo Wagner being a good trial of how it could work if he gets featured touches.

We always say that player X is going to take the GR3 role, or the Nik role, etc. I think we start landing better bigs when we have a _____ role that showcases traits a top guy would want develop and where we are actually adept at helping that development. The stretch-5 seems the most natural.

2 Likes
3 Likes

So he reached out to us. Jaylen Brown reached out to us. Hmm…

1 Like

I agree that the system would be my biggest concern, but I hope they showed Bamba tape of Mitch in the 2013 tournament run. 14 points, 10 rebounds, 2 steals and a block per game on the biggest stage. Took that team to from very good to elite, and Id sell Bamba on the potential to do the exact same now.