2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

Why do you anticipate X will struggle to be average? I’m really excited for a guy that scored 60 in multiple high school games.

1 Like
  1. You said Beilein has never done it. Beilein played Sims with Udoh/Gibson. So regardless of what you consider Smotrycz, your “never” statement is demonstrably false.

2. What would you consider Smotrycz if it wasn’t a PF? He sure wasn’t a 3.

I’m pretty sure Udoh transferred to Baylor after Amaker was fired and never played for Beilein at Michigan.

But Smotrycz was definitely a PF. And not just in Michigan’s lineup, that’s where he played in Maryland’s lineup as well.

1 Like

Udoh played for Beilein for a year and then transferred.

Any media reports about Bamba and his visit?

1. Donnal performed well enough last year to be lower-level B1G starting post. Yes, his performance last year is a baseline you’d like to improve upon, but he’s at least serviceable.

2. The staff has praised the skill and upside potential of Mo Wagner. Beilein last year said he’d be a work-in-progress due to differences in the NA vs Europe development programs. Based on last year/this summer, I like Wagner’s chances better than a random 4* center recruit. (NOTE: Bamba is more than a “random 4* recruit”)

3. The staff has mentioned its excitement for the 2 freshman posts who joined the program this summer. They may not be “proven B1G caliber” right now, but I sense the coaching staff is comfortable they can grow into B1G post players by the time they’re needed in '17-18/'18-19.

In conclusion, with Livers in the fold as a projected “4” forward, another post is not a position of need in this recruiting cycle, BUT a talent like Bamba would be a nice addition regardless of overall need.

2 Likes

Please tell me bamba is tight with livers and Poole.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say I anticipate x to be average. We just don’t know…

Having bamba at the weekend he was here can’t hurt seeing Jordan Jeter Woodson and an insanely packed football game with a great atmosphere…unless he scummed us to go to the game free

1 Like

Well, the kid was a top 60-70 ranked recruit, was being recruited by several quality Big Ten programs including Wisconsin and MSU, and was Ohio player of the year. Nothing is ever certain, but based on those criteria I’d be surprised if he wasn’t at least average, if not much better than average, by the time he’s an upperclassman.

1 Like

Sims 28.1 mpg
Udoh 26.0 mpg
Gibson 13.6 mpg

Ad yup. Smotrycz was a PF through and through. He was soft, but that was his position. I’m pretty sure there were some runs where he played the 5 even. Morris - Douglass - THJ - Novak - Smotrycz is a lineup we saw more than once.

The statement “Beilein has never played a PF with a C” is proven to be false and yet I am the one who gets attacked for it by the guy who said it.

2 Likes

MChem thinks it is still 1995 and the definition of a “true” PF is Charles Oakley.

4 Likes

my memory fades as I grow older but I am 100 percent sure that Udoh played in Beilien’s first season at Michigan and transferred in the summer. that was a brutal season that we all want to forgot.

1 Like

Love the pics of Bamba with the rest of the class. Any word so far on how he liked the visit?

Seriously guys… enough of these ridiculous arguments about people’s height. These are the pointless, trivial, unprovable arguments that can make this place unreadable at times.

Comparing heights through photos is a ridiculous thing to do considering angles and perspectives and whatever else. Comparing them to other players who we don’t have any official measurement of is even more ridiculous.

This is one of those classic arguments that no one can win unless you can lock these guys in a room with a tape measure.

5 Likes

Are you seriously saying that comparing photos of 2 individuals standing side by side at a straight angle is useless? Especially when we DO have verified heights.

But fail to assert that claims of height based on hearsay are not.

That’s interesting. Wow

I’m saying nobody cares and this is a thread about Mo Bamba that has devolved into trying to derive how tall John Beilein is without shoes and calling each other names. That’s ridiculous.

4 Likes

Your board, but that’s NOT what you said.

I’m curious if there could be any relation to Mo Bamba and World Wide Wes both appearing at the game…

1 Like