2017 - C - Mo Bamba (Offer)

I can see that but the more interesting question with Mitch to me is how he came down to Florida and Michigan or conversely, what eliminated Duke and Kentucky. Not all kids are wired the same way. Anyway there was some earlier talk that Bamba wanted to play with Wendall Carter. Carter is reportedly down to Duke and Harvard so who knows the yin and yang.

Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

3 Likes

You have an “inside” source on this honestly? Won’t ask for details.

Haha, you’re going to get a lot of folks hopes up and won’t live it down regardless if you’re right or wrong…

oh no! the moment we’ve all been dreading. i.e. swag swamps sanity.

Swag barely defines it. It’s being set up for life up front, or on the annuity plan.

Too bad JB doesn’t like doing Midnight Madness. While I understand his perspective that it’s a distraction, I think the benefit as a recruiting opportunity outweighs the potential negatives.

I think that extent is a bit overblown, especially because Michigan fans didn’t really do a good job of actually showing up for it the one time that JB had it despite the fact that there was a fair amount of enthusiasm around the program entering that season.

It’s all about selling your advantages and at this time of year I think that ends up being official visits for football weekends because that’s something that is hard to match and a pretty good way to show off UM.

Michigan isn’t going to put on a better Midnight Madness than UK or IU, etc. but those schools can’t provide the same sort of weekend experience either.

5 Likes

I dunno. I never attended and I do agree that the footage of past events looked kinda lame. That said, if they could stage an event with an atmosphere like the Nike launch, I think it could be a recruiting asset – not on the level of a football game, granted. When he said he would leave the midnight madness thing to Izzo, it sort of added credence to the idea of him as an anti-fun curmudgeon. Most of the criticism at the time had to do with fan appreciation, which isn’t that important to me, but I think the recruiting advantage is more important.

Okay then…?

I didn’t realize it was either/or. A guy can take one official but having a basketball-specific event to boost the profile of the program for recruits wouldn’t be a bad thing, even if it takes place past the coach’s bedtime. As usual, agree to disagree.

Edit: especially in years where we don’t play either rival at home.

This one has more to do with lame fans than lame coach.

3 Likes

New to this forum and would like to ask on everybody’s opnion on whats going to happen if we dont get Mo Bamba vs if we do?

If we don’t get Bamba, it’ll be a 5th-year for Donnal, a low rated late spring add, or an empty spot.

1 Like

LOL @ “if”

1 Like

Little does he know, Bamba is practically committed to us already.

6 Likes

And since nobody has yet addressed the “if we do”…

If we do get Bamba, then I predict John Beilein will get AT LEAST a 1 day reprieve from the “he can’t recruit” chatter.

Oh, and multiple nattys, obviously.

3 Likes

If we do get Bamba, we’ll finish that season ranked before he leaves for the NBA.

1 Like

If we don’t get Bamba, everyone will be all “another JB recruiting failure, never had a chance”, Mark Donnal will get a 5th year and we’ll have to survive with the 4 centers on the roster that we will be using this year.

If we do get Bamba, we trot out Simpson, MAAR, Matthews, Livers, Bamba, we are top 10-ish all year and everyone who complains about the lack of defense and athleticism is quiet for exactly one year until Bamba goes pro.

1 Like