2017-18 Bracketology

RIP to the couches in East Lansing

8 Likes

Iā€™m projecting a 3 seed.

Bad news is I do not believe we get Detroit and we get 2 seed Duke in S16.

I still wouldnā€™t be upset with a 4 seed in Xavierā€™s bracket. And truly believe Kansas is overrated.

3 Likes

I guess at this point Iā€™m pulling for Duke to win ACCT so they get a 1 seed

4 Likes

As long as Michigan gets a 3. If they get bumped to a 4, then we want Duke to stay on the 2 line. Still a lot in limbo here.

2 Likes

I feel like weā€™re talking too much about second week opponents here! Iā€™m just as interested in watching the potential 5 and 6 seeds as I am a team like Dukeā€¦

ā€¦But Iā€™ll bite. Does Duke defend well enough to really scare anyone? Theyā€™re obviously Duke, so theyā€™re going to score. Iā€™ll be honest that I just havenā€™t watched enough of them this year to have an opinion, just the highlights.

2 Likes

KenPom #10 defense

I thought all season long Duke could be an early upset pick because of defense/chemistry issues but then I watched Marvin Bagley put 33 and 17 on Notre Dame last night and Iā€™m not really skeptical anymore. Theyā€™re also up to 10th defensively on kenpom somehow. Seems like the switch to all zone actually worked.

2 Likes

I do not think they are great on defense at all, which is why Coach K has went mostly to all zone (yes a Duke team playing zone). They are going to give up shots, but they have the length and size to make shots difficult. They have figured a few things out here late in the season that make them scary.

1 Like

Duke scares me because at some point weā€™re going to end up with Duncan on Bagley and even though Duncan has really gotten stronger on D that just isnā€™t fair. And on the other end Bagley on the wing in that zone covers a lot of ground.

Dukeā€™s jump to #10 defense is impressive, and kudos to K for swallowing his pride and making the switch and kudos to players for buying in. But, the interesting part about the matchup is ~if~ Michigan can figure out the zone, I am entirely confident that K wont have a counter other than maybe switching to their awful man-to-man.

I also think Duke can be tricked into shooting 2s while we shoot 3s. In the halfcourt, they dont do a great job of getting open 3pt shooters. Allen and Trent Jr. are both good shooters, but I think our backcourt can limit their open looks. Duke thrives on offensive rebounds and transition, both defensive strengths of ours. Letting Bagely and Carter get their combined 40 is fine, as long as we are cleaning up the glass.

Seth is so high on Michigan

3 Likes

ESPN bracketologist Joe Lunardi: "Confident Michigan State will be ahead of Michigan on the seed list. So if a spot in Detroit is open (MSU) will get it."

ā€” Matt Charboneau (@mattcharboneau) March 8, 2018

Despite Michigan having a better resume in every way.

Better RPI. Better SOS. More top 25 wins. Beat them head to head by double digits twice. Won the conference tourney. Michigan has 6 top 50 wins. MSU has 2.

Other than that, it makes total sense. https://t.co/OIF24lI0t4

ā€” Jordan Strack (@JordanStrack) March 8, 2018
1 Like

Auburn getting trounced by Bama in the 2nd half. Possibly good for us as they are also on the 3 line.

3 Likes

My absolute dream scenario is that MSU gets stuck with a 3 seed and they end up catching Collin Sexton or Trae Young as an 11 seed in the second round. Imagine Cassius Winston guarding these guys

6 Likes

revolving_door

8 Likes

Hop on board chip! Iā€™ve been saving seats for converts since January. I know Iā€™m a " homer" in most eyes but Iā€™ve been advocating for the program the last two years for a reason. Itā€™s not just blind optimism. They showed me things at different points to lead me to believe they were legit contenders. Particularly this year Iā€™ve felt very comfortable that we can run with anyone outside of a red hot duke. Besides free throws ( which I believe is a hundred percent mental at this point, particularly forvz!) I donā€™t see a weakness on this team at this point. Unlike past years we can maintain whenever we hit a scoring drought which is kind of common in coach bā€™s system along with any team that shoots lots of treā€™s.

Years past weā€™d fall behind or blow the game when it hit a 4 or 5 minute mark drought. Now due to our amazing defense and rebounding we can fight through and keep the games close or hold the lead.
I truly believe our depth and balance is just too much for most teams to handle. You never know who will show and torch you for 15-20 on any given night. Combine that with moe, maar and Charles who are usually good for 10-20 each and our offense is pretty tough most nights.

If Duncanā€™s play continues and he can end his up and down career like Irvin did then we might have something very special on our hands.

I see lots of three seed pairings with duke as our 2 and thatā€™s a nightmare scenario particularly if they go zone. I havenā€™t watched them lately bit that would be horrible for us. Iā€™m praying we get paired with auburn or some overhyped big 12 or sec team. This is the first time in years though where Iā€™m really confident and not to scared about the pairings. I just hope the layoff didnā€™t hurt. You canā€™t name 5 teams playing better than us right now.

Doesnā€™t really seem like they would fall below Michigan though, does it?

I really canā€™t imagine Izzo would put Winston on Young or Sexton.

With the gaming of the RPI by the SEC this year, probably not. Although Crashing the Dance has us 1 spot behind them. We have the best win with @MSu, but they have @Tenn and 2 more Q1 wins.