2017-18 Bracketology

Lunardi is in the bottom 25% of bracketology accuracy.

1 Like

Celebrity bracketology, nothing worse. :slight_smile: A gentle reminder that after all the numbers crunching is done, good old favoritism and worse can still prevail.

The last time UM played SDSt in a 4-13 match-up March worked out pretty well.

2 Likes

I will be very surprised if either M or MSU doesn’t play in Detroit. The fit is too good. The proximity too close. Purdue or Xavier or anyone else doesn’t come anywhere close to M or MSU in terms of generating a buzz

1 Like

I wonder who the last team was to be seeded higher in the NCAA tourney than their conference tourney two straight years.

3 Likes

Was about to say UNC but I guess they were the 1 seed last year in ACC as well

If Duke gets a 1 seed they will have accomplished that as well.

Hmm, forgot about the relative ease of that for higher seeds. It would be interesting when discounting 1 and 2 seeds.

1 Like

Anybody know who we’re supposed to root for/against today? We’re still trying to get PSU back into Q1, right?

Probably want nc state to win this afternoon against bc since psu played nc state and Stanford to lose to cal tonight since Stanford is two spots ahead of psu in rpi.

1 Like

I would guess that the primary consideration for Beilein when he makes up a schedule is this: “How will this schedule help my team maximize its potential.” That’s it. He wants the team to become the very best team it can by the end of the season.

Now, what schedule will accomplish that is a difficult question. It depends on how the team develops in the preseason and early season as well as how the scheduled opponents turn out. If Michigan is ahead of schedule, those tomato cans in late December don’t help much; on the other hand, if the team is incredibly slow to pick up basics, then games against even moderately good opponents become nail-biting struggles (like, say, UCLA this year).

For next year, he’s got a very large freshman class and probably no seniors; he’ll probably have three returning starters and two rotation reserves to move into the lineup. If Poole can leave his freshman mistakes behind him, the starting five will be solid enough to compete in a Thanksgiving tourney and the ACC-B1G challenge. The bench, though, will be full of questions. Eli will be the only returning reserve with non emergency/blowout experience. Will the freshmen be ready to move in to the rotation? Which ones? In which combinations? It’s going to take some time to figure that out, so expect to see more than a few creampuffs scheduled for December.

3 Likes

There will be cream puffs, but also Cincinnati and South Carolina too.

Gonna be Cincy, South Carolina, 2 preseason tourney games (maybe South Carolina again…), ACC tip-off game, Gavitt Games game

Welp, this is not going well.

edit: Andddddd here comes the comeback

NC State (in theory) would give Clemson, who we’d like to lose to improve our chances at a 3 seed, a bigger challenge.

Wow, tie game. NC State was down big earlier.

Wow, NC State pulls a Chris Webber.

NC State would probably give Clemson a better game, but it would also give them a more impressive win if they beat them. I’m okay with this result.

1 Like

Good morning, hoops fans. The committee is back at it, continuing with seeding. 28 teams were voted into the field on the initial ballot yesterday, which is a few more than a typical year. A total of 33 remain on the under consideration board. The top two lines have been seeded.

— David Worlock (@DavidWorlock) March 8, 2018

Is this good news for us? The top 2 lines have already been seeded. Does that mean they don’t care about conference tournament results? Or is the early B1G tournament going to help there?

1 Like

He said in a reply that it’s not set in stone and teams can still move into the top 8 so I have no idea what that last sentence means then.

I guess it just means they have tentatively seeded the top 8 teams up to this point, which I feel like is common sense but I don’t know their normal method.

1 Like

I wonder if they have us seeded as a 2 right now or something? In the chairman interview with Katz last night, he gushed over Michigan a bit

2 Likes

I think this is good news for us and the early tournament works in our favor. They are voting and seeding teams right now, before many other teams have a chance to make a run in their conference tourney and after Michigan just got some big wins. They can move seeds around later via a process they call “scrubbing,” but between inertia and needing a majority later, it’s better for Michigan to have voting happening now.

3 Likes

Give me the 2 in Detroit and give MSU a 3 in Wichita and let’s watch the world burn

13 Likes