2017-18 Bracketology

Texas Tech and WVU are playing tonight. That is bad news as both of those teams are on the 4 line right now on Bracket Matrix. So one of them will get a big win.

Guess we root for WVU? Theyā€™re only the third 4 seed on the Matrix while TT is the top one.

1 Like

Where do you hide him though? Young would toast Langford just as bad in my opinion

I donā€™t know, but you canā€™t hide Winston on Young. Heā€™d get roasted and thatā€™s the most likely way MSU could lose. Langford is a better defender. If he canā€™t stop him, play Tum Tum, Why not? Oklahoma doesnā€™t have many weapons around him. Once opponents figured out how to defend Young, Oklahoma has looked pretty bad.

4 Likes

Palmā€™s latest bracket scares me. Seems like it could be 50/50 between MSU and Michigan with who gets either draw here. He has both as 3 seeds.

MSUā€™s path would go: 14 Montana, 6 Florida, 2 Duke, 1 Villanova

Michiganā€™s path would go: 14 Bucknell, 6 Arkansas, 2 UNC, 1 Xavier

Looking at Bracket Matrix, Michigan (3.21) has now jumped Auburn (3.35) and is closing the gap with MSU (2.97), with a lot of brackets still to be submitted. Tennessee (2.96) and WVU (3.90) losses sure would be niceā€¦

1 Like

Tennessee and WVU losing would lock up a three seed for us, IMO

1 Like

A Cincy loss here would open up an outside shot at a 2 seed for one of the current 3s.

1 Like

That scares you? That looks as close to an ideal bracket as we could hope for. Msu has a much tougher road Iā€™m that set up. Give me that draw ten out of ten times

Wow sorry , somehow I looked right past unc. Would not be my first choice as a 2. Give me Arkansas all day though and Xavier as our 1. Even then we are a completely different team than our first matchup with UNC. Not saying weā€™d win but I certainly am not scared of them. Would probably be the best sweet sixteen matchup out there. Imo unc is top 5 right now and weā€™re top ten. Both teams on fire and big programs. No way May would do that again though.

No I agree I would love that draw. Iā€™m scared at the possibility that one 3 seed will get a pretty easy draw and one could see Florida, Duke, Villanova all in their region. Fingers crossed

I have a funny feeling we may see San Diego State as our first round tournament opponent.

3 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s one of those great ā€œstorylinesā€ the committee loves. Theyā€™ll probably try to set up a Sweet 16 with Duke for the same reason.

2 Likes

Rooting for Tenn today, thinking a win could get them up to the 2 line above Purdue and give us at least a possibility of facing a team other than UNC/Duke/Cinci, as well as keeping the committee from getting any ideas about elevating KY. Dream scenario - weā€™re the 3 in a region (probably West or Midwest) with 1. Xavier/Kansas, 2. Tenn, and 6. Ark/Miami/A&M.

Scenarios to avoid - going to Dallas with Houston (or TCU) as the 6, or being a 4 and going to Boise with Gonzaga as the 5, and getting Nova and one of the top ACC teams in our regions.

Looks like MD will stay above the RPI 75 cutline, giving UM quads 1 and 2 victories. LSU stays above 100, keeping that a quad 2 loss. PSU, UCLA, and Nebraska stay below various cutlines to deprive UM of further quad 1 victories.

3 Likes

Interesting point about Tenn, I was thinking the same thing. There is the possibility however that the committee has Michigan/Tenn competing for the last 3 seed and they could take it away from us. You never know.

That Boise outcome would be brutal.

Everyone talks about how smart Bilas is, and I generally agree, but man, when he gets set on something. Heā€™s steamed about how is sparty not a 2, or even in consideration for a 1, and itā€™s like, HELLO have you seen their schedule, didnā€™t even make it to their conference final, who have they beat, and where, and do YA know that they got handled twice by double digits by our guys?

Terrible take from Bilas.

He also thinks itā€™s nuts for AZ to be a 4, but thatā€™s what they accomplished. At least I can see where heā€™s coming from, as they looked frighteningly unstoppable last night, but one wonders how much of a product that is of playing not great Pac 12 teams. And as beastly as Ayton is, and maybe even scarier, the Ayton-Ristic combo, UCLA still took them to overtime and had a shot in regulation to send AZ back to their part of the desert.

2 Likes

Bilas is relatively smart for a sports commentator, but he thinks that makes him some sort of genius. Heā€™s about 10% as smart as he thinks he is.

His take about how conference tournaments shouldnā€™t matter was so absurd.

By this same logic you can say At-Large selection decisions should be made before the beginning of conference play. Or in the preseason.

5 Likes

Of course he wasnā€™t thinking about his beloved Blue Devils when he posted that about conference tourneysā€¦

1 Like

Are there any potential 14 seeds that are scarier than others for us? Bracket matrix has these teams in the mix: Montana, Bucknell, Wright St, Stephen F Austin, College of Charleston

Smh. Jay Williams just said he has MSU as a one seed and he still thinks they are better than Michigan even though Michigan beat them handily twice

4 Likes