2016/17 Commitment Updates

Exactly right. Harbaugh is nuts, but he puts everything he has into recruiting. I don’t get even the remotest of sense that JB and his staff do the same. In fact, several times over the last few years, I’ve heard Sam Webb say on the radio that the staff was too busy concentrating on fixing issues with the team during the season to continue the recruiting momentum which drives me insane. In today’s world, recruiting is a 24/7/365 endeavor, even during the season.

1 Like

Well, this is–at least–a tiny bit of news, rather than pure bloviation. Does Beilein have the same resources to recruit with as Harbaugh? Would be curious to know. Clearly, we’re talking about very different terrain, including the fact that bball is very, very corrupt.

My impression has not been that Beilein was slacking but not getting guys he went after. And–again–if we had McGary last year, Spike and Caris this year (set aside guys who skipped out for the NBA), I’m not sure we have too much grounds for complaint. Obviously, Donnal and Doyle have not excelled, but that doesn’t mean that the triumvirate of them and Moritz, with Davis and Teske, will not. In fact, Beilein is GOING AFTER guys at the 5. Now, if they all don’t pan out, fair enough. There is clearly a profile of a 5, non-traditional, that he’s after, and maybe he doesn’t work in the B1G. But Jomo and McGary were just fine.’

(This is a reply to 93grad.)

If JB thinks he’s short changed on resources, than he should make it known he thinks that. He should ask for whatever he isn’t getting. Warde isn’t turning him down.

1 Like

Checkout that vertical

The future of this program scares me.

Reminds me of Zach Randolph. Left, big frame, going to MSU, aggressive…

Just the type of player Michigan needs to elevate the team from living and dying by the 3.

There’s some disheartening information my brother got last night about Michigan’s criteria for going after a recruit. There has to be a change in recruiting philosophy going forward or we are going to be in a world of frustration for the foreseeable future.

Simpson held to 36 points last night.

3 Likes

Let’s get this kid a legitimate big man to play with. He’s going to be a stud. Very excited about him.

Seriously guys… let’s keep this thread for on-topic discussion about the 2016 and 2017 commitments and updates about how they are playing this year.

Dylan, any athletic big guys we have a legitimate shot at for 17 or 18? Pairing one with Simpson has to be a priority.

I saw some Ibi workout video from his morning session yesterday. He’s going to be solid. Absolutely grinding in the gym. I love to see that.

Do they even have room for a true big in 17? I can see going after young and Jackson I believe his name is, but their more of tweeners sf who would play pf for us. Then going after another guard I thought was the out look. Like I’ve said give me Kyle young. His ranking has got to be way off. Him and pool should make a Simpson like climb
In their class. Even a class of just Poole and young and I’d be very satisfied with the get.

That post Dylan you gave of youngs listing his schools mAde me nervous. He seemed to say more about every other team. Just said it’s nice to be wanted and hear from a good basketball program. I’m afraid he could be more of a Wisconsin type of kid. I know I’m reading way to much into a brief listing but still. Shall see when summer comes.

1 Like

MPB, since someone brought it up in another thread, curious to hear your view of Derek Culver. Not an in-state guy, but like X a top-fiftyish guy from Ohio with Big Ten interest and a nice mean streak. More of a PF (not a stretch four last I checked!) but would bring more toughness than we’re used to. Seems somewhat similar to Xavier Tillman, but more highly rated. Would a guy like that fit the bill for us in '17?

Kyle Young is who they’ve targeted. Don’t now anything on Culver. Tillman is an undersized 5 with low skill level from what I’ve seen in videos.

I watched Xavier’s game against Toledo St John’s Jesuit the other day on VOD. It was probably one of his worst games of the year. But he still played well. What I liked is that he didn’t have to be involved on every possession to maintain a high level of play. He’s got a mid major level player in his backcourt next to him, so he defers at times. But right after not touching it, he can turn it on and make the play on the next possession.

2 Likes

How did he look defensively? Is he quick enough to stay in front of his guy and not let him get into the lane?

He looked pretty good defensively. Didn’t even seem to be trying and was staying in front of his man. Granted, SJJ doesn’t have the highest quality of guards this year in terms of getting to the hole, but he still looked good.

I think if he is a quality defender at the next level, he makes a small backcourt a very real possibility next year.

1 Like