2016/17 Commitment Updates

I like the class too. I’m not sure how ibi will get on the floor. Especially since I don’t think chatmans done. Rahkmsm Robinson Dawkins Irvin chatman on the wing. Also I could see Derrick or Xavier at the two while the other runs point. Small backcourt. I can’t see Watson playing next year.

Austin folks. Sleeper of class. I’m sticking to it. Don’t see him playing either but still

Did I read Austin Davis lost a ton of weight and is down to a pretty trim 235 lbs?

Yes, he did Blair.

Xavier will play the most. He takes Dakichs role this year but will play more since he is better then dakich. I think either teske or Davis will be the third big behind donnal and Wagner and the other red shirts. I can’t see Ibi having a huge role but a nice depths guy to rest Derrick maar and xavier

2 Likes

My guess is that Teske will play. Given the lacklustre performance at the five this year, my hope would be that each of the 5-6 guys compete hard for PT and may the best man win, regardless of class. If Teske passes Doyle from day one, great.

1 Like

Well there has to be some form of attrition with Chatman, Doyle and DJ as the most likely to want to move on for more PT opportunities elsewhere. So I would not be surprised if there were minutes available for Ibi if he is ready.

I am not sure if Tesk will be game ready as a freshman. He will have to out play upper classmen to earn playing time. Donnal and Doyle will have 2 years of experience, and Wagner and Wilson one each.
Actually, Davis looks to be more ready from a physical standpoint.
There is a glut at the 5 next year (Donnal, Doyle, Wilson, Wagner, Tesk and Davis). I think the more interesting question is who among those 6 can or will play a different position. If 1, 2 or even 3 of them could play the 4, then we could bump 1 or more of the current fours up to three, and so on. We need more experience and depth at the guards and wings and I hope we don’t have to rely on freshmen to provide major minutes.

1 Like

What is he suppose to say we have a subpar class coming in ? I expect him to call it great, I don’t agree but I might be proved wrong only time will tell.

It really irks me when people talk and speculate about specific players transferring. Let the process play out and leave the kids alone.

3 Likes

I think Xavier/Ibi will end up being better than Walton/Irvin.

2 Likes

Walton and Irvin have carried us this year. Fans are pretty hard on players. If Walton and Irvin step up still further next year we will look on them fondly in future. I agree that Xavier and Watson look great–that’s certainly how we looked on Irivn and Walton coming in.

FYI my comment is less about Walton/Irvin’s shortcomings (I think both are very good college players), and more about the potential I think Xavier/Ibi have to do things at Michigan…especially Xavier.

Everyone loves the back-up QB, until he’s the starting QB.

Everyone loves the qb who wins.

1 Like

ok? I’m not sure what you’re saying there…

Standard viewpoint of fans when they think the current guy (Irvin/Walton) are the problem and the next guy (backup QB/freshmen) are the solution. Not taking a side, but I get the statement and find it quite valid when it comes to recruiting.

Unless Irvin and Walton increase their play quite a bit, next year is going to be like this year. MAAR, Dawkins, chatman and Robinson are pretty much what they will be. Last year and this year isn’t much different from the 3 and Robinson isn’t a starting big ten player. Dawkins and Watson will hopefully be serviceable next year with Irvin and Walton at least being more consistent than this year.

…yeah I get that…except I never said anything about the “starting QB” or any problems with Walton/Irvin. So that doesn’t hold weight.

Let me simplify it for you and sane…I think Xavier is going to be the best PG JB has coached outside of Burke. I also think Ibi will be a real good player for us in 2-3 years.

1 Like

A lot of blame can be put on Walton and Irvin. As the upper class men they are very inconsistent. Also, throw donnal in there and you have 3 juniors who on any given night just won’t show up. Walton being the closest thing to consistent. Those three must improve a bit next year or a middle of the pack finish is in order yet again. Xavier will help a lot but I’m not sold on Watson being ready just yet.

You qualified it in your most recent comment, but the way some of us were taking it is that you were punting on the current kids for the next man up. To be clear, it’s because you said “I think Xavier/Ibi will end up being better than Walton/Irvin.” I am also excited about the next group but considering that they aren’t even on campus, that’s very much the situation where someone thinks the backup that they don’t see play every game could do better than the starter.

I’m terribly excited about the incoming class but I don’t think any of us can predict whether X/Ibi will be able to outperform DeWalt/Irvin. But it’s cool to be hopeful. I’d like to see X/Ibi out produce Glen/Rumeal.