2016/17 Commitment Updates

Disagree. Walton is not a good defender (no one on the team is besides maybe Irvin) and would probably get toasted guarding guys 3-5" inches taller than him.

Honestly, it might be worth it just to give up on defense and to add more slashing and athleticism to the lineup, but yeah Derrick is still 6’0" or shorter.

Honestly, I think it’s tough to develop your game when you play all of your games against Middle Schoolers… Check these highlights for example:

I think you’re under estimating the type of recruit that is needed to make a final 4. Saying Austin Davis will be a more athletic Grahm Brown is not a ringing endorsement. Citing he can shoot the 3 makes me cringe. Doyle was a much better recruit than Davis and he can barely function at this level. I see Davis as “more of the same”.

And my parents live in Onsted. My Dad has seen him play quite a bit. Before Michigan offered, he was thinking Davis would be a nice fit in the MAC. When he found out Michigan offered, he was shocked. He said he will have a hard time getting up and down the floor against big ten talent.

Maybe he will pan out and be an all big ten level player. Lord knows I’ve been wrong on recruits before. Eric Davis says hi. I wouldn’t put money on Austin Davis ever being more than a role player though.

Do me a favor and go watch some film on Nick Ward heading to msu for some perspective.

3 Likes

This is the one to watch:

Against top competition, guys his size or taller.

Honestly that may have just made me feel worse because it showcased his dunks, and they are not pretty. :sweat:

Kidding aside, my main issue is that his one skill (post up moves) won’t be utilized here, so I guess I don’t see the point taking a risk on him.

1 Like

Sane1 his moves are super slow. He does show good footwork and ball placement on his moves but he is going to struggle against B1G athletes. The speed and overall quickness he is going to see is going to catch him.

He has gotten himself in better shape no doubt.

He looks very similar to Doyle. Let’s just hope he can catch better than Doyle

I don’t see Hammons being quick, either. Haas is a statue. I’ll reserve judgement on Davis, but I was replying to him only playing against inferior comp.

He’s perfectly capable of doing what Donnal does. Screen, roll, catch, finish. His bulk would probably make him a better screener, as well.

AAU is tough Sane to gauge. A lot of games are open gyms with refs. Defense is usually optional. But it’s at least nice to see him go against similar size

His hands seem to be better than Doyle’s. It would be hard for them to be worse.

Having someone that can score and pass effectively out of the low post would be a huge asset to this team. With our shooters spacing the floor, he’d have a lot of room to work. If defenses collapse, kick it back out for an open 3. I don’t know if Davis will be that guy, but I definitely think JB would adapt our offense to fit a guy with some back-to-the-basket game.

That’s one aspect we need. The dump to the low post, movement around the perimeter, kick out for 3s.

1 Like

This is what Austin Davis will be going up against. Maybe by his 3rd year he’ll be serviceable. That’s a long time to wait when our rivals are bringing in impact players in the post yearly.

I disagree on Hammons not being quick. Have you seen his anticipation and ability to jump shots and not fall for up fakes? He’s quick enough to know when a shot is going up and erasing it.

My aspirations for a big are much higher than Donnal. What you’re saying is basically the minimum required for a big man to function on any basketball team.

2 Likes

JB needs to change his recruiting philosophy, plain and simple. All of the momentum from the final 4 and elite 8 runs is completely gone. Were going to continue to lose these recruiting battles and put product out on the floor identical to what we have now. This program is going nowhere fast.

2 Likes

Jim Harbaugh is showing how recruiting should be done. Its not an accident that we had a top 5 football class. JB doesn’t need to climb trees and stuff, but he needs to change.

2 Likes

Purdues 5’s are also 7’1 and not 6’9-6’10. Thats a huge difference, quick or not.

Wagner’s development is our hope at the 5 for the program. Huge upside imo.

2 Likes

Not dismissing Austin Davis at all but not going to get excited over a low rated recruit also.
Like your post says about not even playing one game…well he hasn’t played one minute of college bball. Maybe he’ll be something or maybe he won’t. Time will tell. Here is to hoping he can hold his own once he gets to UM.

Recruiting has been down last few years on a lot of misses unfortunately. Just think of what we would be saying if Beilein and his coaches landed Langford instead of going after and getting Battle…then losing him. Then add in Leaf, Watson and Simpson.
I think the tone of fans would be a lot more positive with that class. I for one expected Michigan to have greater classes though especially after a championship run, and some very good seasons under this staff since.

1 Like

Neither Davis or Teske are “top recruits.” They are nice players who will need a TON of development to produce at the B1G level.