2016/17 Commitment Updates

Also mark my words Austin Davis is going to be a steal by the time he leaves us. Everyone mocked him and dissed his signing, but I’m standing by ready to eat my words if wrong. He’s going to be a good big man for us. I really like his foot work and I could see him feasting down low in a few years. With the way we spread teams out and with our shooters any decent big man could have a field day downlow if we feed him. I can see him and Wagner working guys one on one. Plus he’s already added explosion and quickness on his own , wait till he gets in with college trainers.

Dawkins and Wilson will never get the job done. They lack both lateral quickness and instincts.

Simpson and MAAR would be fun to watch harassing opposing guards though.

Are you saying JB won’t be our coach by the time Davis Graduates?

I hope you’re right, but I just think he lacks the athleticism to thrive in the B1G.

As a comparison, look at some of Doyle’s tape from a few years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ParqWbSekNo

…'oops and blocks galore, in addition to decisive post moves and nice touch when finishing with the left or right hand. How much of that has he shown at the college level? I fear it might be the same situation for Davis. He just looks so limited athletically. He does have some nice footwork, but when I see him run up and down the floor it looks like won’t even be able to keep up with the game in college. Is it not a concern that Doyle looks considerably more athletic in his high school tape?

1 Like

Good point. Likewise, how did this end up being a robotic looking 5 man on the roster? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw9YDLca_f8

I do think Teske has good potential. Simpson is looking beast - so glad we got him instead of Winston. Ibi could be solid too after a year in the system. Overall not a horrible class by any means and always good to start off with a really good PG.

1 Like

And don’t think for a second that opposing coaches don’t point things like this out when going up against JB for a post player.

Yes Doyle looked more athletic in high school. But imo Davis foot work in these brief clips is light years better. Also I know this might sound odd but Davis is a good lumbering in those aau tapes. He really uses his body well and I like how he iniates the contact. Always lay the hit as opposed to absorbing it.

I believe his foot work is already superior to the other bigs and he’s a young senior in high school still. In his aau clips he seems to understand how to use the body and moves to overcome greater athletes. How to negate their jumping ability to get his shot off and to finish with great looks.Dylan I believe you said him and teske went head to head at one of u of m camps right? I would be very confident that Davis would win that matchup, for what it’s worth. I think you said they each won a half.

He also appears to have a decent touch/form. With our glut at the five and potentially the four he also has time to develop further. But I believe like Xavier,his mental is tough. He looks like he’s ready for war with the Spartans for instance.in a few years I see him as a physical presence.

I’ve never seennl that video but I saw later ones where he looked Real athletic and good too. I still have faith in dj to come through. He just hasn’t hit any threes yet. As soon as he does he will start clicking and become dangerous. Alley oops and running the floor, blocking shots.

how? high school. that’s how.

What is John Beillien Obsession with big non-athletic kids? I’m sure he can finds one with some but he is stuck in his ways and I think that’s everyone biggest problem with him.

Haven’t paid much attention to hoops recruiting since Harbaugh was hired, but I wanted to ask, Dylan, if you see any attrition this year to make room for a late addition to the '16 class? If not this year, then what about making room after next season for a bigger '17 class? Chatman would be the first guy who comes to mind. I know Beilein doesn’t push his undergrads to transfer, but at what point do you cut bait with a guy that appears to be just taking up space? Do you tell him that next year is his last chance? This team is in need of an infusion of elite talent and the '16 class, as it stands, doesn’t even crack the top 25!

1 Like

I know someone stated we had no program changers coming in but I feel Xavier has a shot to be very good. Guy is tearing up good competition and he just looks like a winner. I could see him really be get a winner here. Also can we just get Kyle young in here. That kid is going to be a great player. He like Xavier doesn’t jump off the page but their both gritty winners with all around games and sneaky athleticism. Add young and Poole then go after a big time athletic wing. Screw a shooter or the usual coach b recruit. Go after the anti b guy. Go get a hyper athlete on the wing who ds up and dunks galore. With that type of 16 and 17 class we would have great balance and a very tough team when combined with our 14 class and Wagner and Robinson

I agree we might not have any program changers in the sense of a 5 star coming in and taking over and just dominating but I think Xavier is a program changer. He is the guy we need on this team right now. He brings that Novaks, Morgan mantra with him that nobody is going to mess with him or if they do they will get a dog fight for 40 minutes and then take it to the street after that. It’s kills me watching this team and not seeing any fight. I think MAAR has it in him a little but doesn’t show it or feel it’s his place on this team. I hope someone steps up and soon. Can’t wait to watch Xavier play in the maize and blue.

1 Like

Is Xavier more of a 2 guard than a PG? Would there be a problem next year with Walton/Simpson playing at the same time because Walton isn’t a facilitator. I am not saying Simpson is a bad recruit but doesn’t Michigan now more than ever need a real good facilitator, one that can get into the lane kick it out or take it to the basket?

It’s clear to me they don’t have a player on the team that is capable of making others better around them. Levert is the only one and he’s gone in 6 weeks. Walton can’t do that and Robinson is suffering, MAAR can’t do it, Irvin really can’t do it.

I haven’t watched Xavier in a real game, but I remember when he committed he was touted as a “true point guard” and a “gritty defender”. And now as a senior he’s averaging 38 ppg and broke the city scoring record twice. Maybe he has it all?

So I have some hope that he could be an impact player, unfortunately, there is nowhere for him to play next year. A Derrick-Xavier lineup is only slightly more viable than a Derrick-Spike lineup (5’10" and 6’0" guards) so he really will only be getting minutes as a backup point. Just won’t be able to do much by circumstance next year.

At the beginning of the year I thought it was going to be DeWalt that had that “dog” in him but I think you’re right. It seems to me that there is a fire just right underneath the surface with Maar. Sometimes you can see him take it personally.

Mmm if X can play then he’ll find minutes. Walton/X in the backcourt would be a great defensive lineup regardless of height. And I think X has a pretty good wingspan for his size. Though he’d be battling against MAAR but if we’re needing fewer turnovers, I say play two PGs.

One thread would be cool. No one is talking about Xavier Simpson scoring 108 points in a week. Wow.

3 Likes

Get him a an athletic big man by his side. This kid is a stud.

Are people really going to continue to forget that Austin Davis held his own against some of the top big men? I swear. Austin Davis has game. He will probably be a more skilled Grahm Brown. He can hit the 3, handle a bit and defend. I just hate to see people dismissing top recruits before they even play one game. Outside of a video or two no one has seen him or teske play and they are already crying. Fans can be frustrating.