Video: Pat Chambers recaps loss at Michigan

What was Coach talking about at the end there regarding Myles Dread?

Allegedly some heated exchange between them involving a “shove”. Others on twitter also commented on it and said they didn’t see it, so not sure in actuality.

PSU should have started fouling at the 2:15 mark to prolong the game. They could have brought in bench players to foul Teske, Simpson, CM1, and attempted to substitute defense for offense. But Chambers is not of that pedigree never having gotten his team to the Big Dance in 8 years. Possibly the only Power 5 coach to have his job so long and not get to the tourney.

The Dread kid missed an assignment, made a mistake essentially, that led to a Michigan basket. Chambers kind of gave him a finger in the chest or a one hand push in the chest, and some words. It was nothing. It was just a coach in the heat of the moment making a point with a player.

There may have been some people who thought it was too much, but, in my humble opinion, it wasn’t. I wouldn’t have handled it that way myself but it was really nothing. Izzo, Underwood, Martin have done far worse.

Sadly, we live in a world where people who don’t have a clue criticize things they know nothing about. Chambers is a heck of a good guy whose team plays really hard. He was making a point, as he said, “challenging the kid.”

By the way, from what I could see Dread didn’t say anything back to Chambers. He just took the reprimand like a man and went out and continued to play.

2 Likes

Oh, don’t get me wrong, I pass no judgment on Chambers. It sounds like, as you say, he was being a coach and trying to make a point. I just was trying to answer the question without having witnessed it myself personally. Thanks for the clarification!

I didn’t think you were Dingo. My comment about “people who don’t have a clue criticizing things they know nothing about” was not directed at you or anyone on this forum. It’s just the world we live in.

1 Like

Didn’t Dakich say jokingly that there will be a “30 for 30” documentary about that incident someday?

1 Like

I would disagree. The coach was physical and it came from anger, which is never a good thing. I was surprised when I saw it happen live and thought it was a mistake for the coach to do that. Not a big deal, but still the wrong thing to do. Give credit to the coach for apologizing to the kid and doing it in front of the media and saying That he won’t make that mistake again.

1 Like