Video: Juwan Howard previews Senior Day

Question in there about Howard’s vision for roster building (portal vs HS) but he mostly ghosted it by listing off things that have happened.

It’s so odd to me the relative softballs that Juwan gets asked in every single one of these. No one pushed back and no one comes prepared with facts and statistics to ask about.

Not really defending anyone, but I think most media on these calls is trying to get something/anything out of Howard to use in their articles.

They need to write something about Senior Day, for example. Generally, I’d say pre-game availabilities are just a coach being helpful to journalists to fill their stories.

Not really sure what cutting edge question is going to get something productive out of Howard that’s going to be useful in someone’s story.

To be fair, there’s nothing really useful in them now either.

It’s not even like there’s something controversial to discuss (rotations or something) that you could get an answer. It’s just a bad team in a bad season that is almost mercifully to the end.

Juwan do you prefer pork belly BBQ style or Chinese style

1 Like

“Juwan, your team hasn’t won the turnover battle in a single game since the third game of the year. What has caused this disadvantage, and what have you done to work on it”

“Juwan your team is averaging x points per possession out of timeouts, your opponents are averaging y, what is leading to this lack of execution?”

“Juwan, your team has lost it’s strength and conditioning coach mid-season, what has the team done to adjust, who has stepped up, has anything changed from a process standpoint?”

1 Like

And I know that the senior day pregame might not be the best time for those questions, but all season when you ask questions like “what happened out there?” There’s no doubt you’re going to get a vague answer, because you asked a vague question.

1 Like

Yeah, I get that. I also don’t think you are getting an answer to any of that.

I personally feel like the lack of anything useful – whether Michigan is 10-0 or 0-10 over the last 10 games – in anything that Howard has said leads me to be glad that I don’t really do anything to write off of them :rofl:

Maybe that’s just due to bad questions for five years, and there of course are plenty, but IDK.

His answer to most direct basketball questions is something along the lines of “I’m not going to tell you that.”

2 Likes

“I wasn’t around this summer because of my health.”” I think I heard him say that. Yikes! I hate to be yesterday’s expert but it sure seems like Howard should have been on full medical leave long before he actually had surgery. There wasn’t enough leadership or team cohesion to withstand the uncertainty of not knowing the day to day status of the head coach for that long, let alone getting no skill development guidance. Such a rough deal for all.

Preparation for this availability lacking. Needed to be reminded about Jaelin and Olivier. Maybe prepare? I mean, c’mon my man.

To be fair, I also am confused about who is being honored at Senior Day.

Zaprudering zoom presses is pointless

None of us would ever care how awful he is in these if the team wasn’t doggie doo

And his ability to lucidly explain the profound failure wouldn’t make me feel better

I’m just worried what @mgl is going to tell us isn’t ok to discuss next!!!

You can say this, but giving the media nothing when the team was good for years bought him exactly zero favors or favorable coverage.

We still have no idea what he’s actually trying to do which means that no one really has anything to stand on to back the program with.

3 Likes

Senior citizens for standing up in the lower bowl over 5 times this season.

So like two people.

Totally agree with Dylan. PR can be silly, annoying, and is only one small part of the job…but it is important and Juwan is terrible at it when he could be good. There was that piece done about him and his Chicago ties that was powerful and touching. All other PR since has been non existent or negative.

2 Likes

Really? It would make me feel a lot better. He’s probably gonna be coaching next year, and I’d rather have any kind of evidence that he’s thoughtfully confronting the problem than platitudes about toughness.

2 Likes

Apologies if I come off as a hall monitor - not trying to ruin anyone’s experience

I think he still gets from some goodwill from being a legendary player here. No one wants to see a guy come back to his alma mater and fail.

Also, football winning the national title probably shields all the other sports from some scrutiny.