USA Basketball / Big Ten Breakout Players?

A lot of Big Ten players in this group - Yogi, Sheehey, Payne, Marble, White, Hollins - and Beilein is an assistant coach. Who are some of your breakout players in the Big Ten next year?

http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/worlduniversity/roster.html

My breakout players from each team (non frosh)

Hammons
Levert
Costello
Hollowell
Dekker
Scott
Woodbury
Walker
Henry
Shields
Abrahamson
Travis

Also is interesting that there are no Big Ten players on the slightly more prestigious U19 team http://www.usabasketball.com/mens/u19/roster.html

I think Dekker is going to do some things next year–really wanted him to go to Michigan.

I might have missed something but was surprised that McGary & Robinson weren’t on any of the USABB teams…

I might have missed something but was surprised that McGary & Robinson weren't on any of the USABB teams....

Yeah it’s interesting. McGary was probably too old for U19 team but GR3 would have fit the bill. Tim Hardaway Jr. had an awful year after playing U19s, maybe coaches want the team to workout this summer with the freshmen rather than heading overseas.

The U19 coaching staff is ridiculous. Billy Donovan assisted by Tony Bennett and Shaka Smart.

Have to wonder what Coach Beilein will take from being an assistant coach for the first time in his career. Knowing his cerebral approach to the game and coaching, it will likely alter the way he does business.

I don’t like the idea of Payne playing for coaches that actually want to develop their players. :slight_smile:

Well, hopefully Mitch can use the momentum from his spectacular tournament performance and carry that over to the upcoming season. I would think Caris and Spike are going to get plenty of opportunities to beat out the freshman, and they certainly have the skills.

Yeah it's interesting. McGary was probably too old for U19 team but GR3 would have fit the bill. Tim Hardaway Jr. had an awful year after playing U19s, maybe coaches want the team to workout this summer with the freshmen rather than heading overseas.
Agreed that its probably better from a program perspective for them to be in A2 over the summer to mesh with the rest of the team but no idea what say Beilein or any of the coaches have in the matter.

My assumption was the USABB had committees that chose potential players & that depending on the team there might be tryouts from the nominated players.

Yeah… they dominate big groups (the U19 and World Univ Games teams that were announced) and will make cuts before heading out to the int’l competitions.

They may not classify as breakout players for next year because they’ve both had a fair amount of success, but I expect the Hollins’ at Minnesota to be the best backcourt in the Big Ten next year. They’re immensely talented players that, in my opinion, were being held back by Tubby. I think they’ll both have outstanding seasons.

Ross at OSU, though it won’t exactly be a “breakout” season as he had a good finish to this past season, will have a very good year for the Buckeyes. Dekker is gonna be very good and I think the sophomores at Iowa are going to really develop.

Not familiar with the USA team, but looking at Big Ten breakout players next season, I gotta think Valentine at MSU and Adam Woodberry at Iowa will both have great seasons. Oh and can’t forget about Caris! I could see him being a lockdown top defender in the conference; I don’t see him doing anything more on offense though…

Forgot Shields at Nebraska. He’s super legit and will contend for the conference scoring title next season with the jokes that surround him on that team. But I am a big fan of Tim Miles as Nebraska coach. I love his coaching style and it appears the players will buy in to the system. They’ll be bad next year but maybe the next few seasons after that they’ll be out of the cellar… maybe…