U-M to host 'Michigan Madness' on October 21st

I attended the event and it was very fun and gave an exciting start to the season for both teams! Go Blue!

5 Likes

Both of the teams have a lot of personality! Was really cool to see how they seem the menā€™s and womenā€™s team seam to have a bond as well. I know it starts with the coaches, they show a lot of respect to each other and it really rubs off on the players

2 Likes

Love hearing that DMB43.

In fairness to the kids, they had no warmup time. Basically sitting around, except for the dance contest, and THEN go out and (try to) dunk! Thatā€™s tough. Same with the three point contest. They basically got up zero shots and then BOOM, letā€™s shoot threes. Iā€™m with Dylan, a little up and down in the form of five on five would have been great, maybe four five minute quarters with the ladies playing 1st and 3rd and the guys playing 2nd and 4th, clock stops on free throws. Then they would have been ready to shoot the three and dunk! And I believe we would have seen some nice dunks in that scenario.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll never get it when rappers perform over their songs with the lyrics included.

2 Likes

See thatā€™s the difference between you an me! Your three point shot is at least pretty! :grin:

I donā€™t know, Iā€™ve never seen it. Itā€™s kind of the same as my bald spot

Another thing too, and Iā€™m not sure if this came through on the stream, but Juwan looked about as a happy and energized as anyone in the building. In my opinion if you have a coach who is that amped up for events like this, itā€™s a pretty good way to make them a tradition.

I know itā€™s been a discussion that weā€™ve never been good at these sort of events in the past but weā€™ve never had Juwan as a head coach before. I mean the guy was literally mobbing with his players when they won the dance contest. And at the end when the PA guy was trying to move to the concert portion Juwan kept trying to take one more half court shot.

The dunk contest may have been a bit dry, but all of the players (and more importantly the coaches) seemed to be having a great time. I really think this could be the start of making something like this more of a tradition. And I think the actual event will only get more and more fleshed our over time. Also shoutout to the PA guy btw, he was pretty good at hyping up the crowd without inducing much cringe. He also got everyoneā€™s names right and didnā€™t really have any noticeable slip-ups.

2 Likes

Listen, the last time I shot a three point shot I ended up in therapy for three months, both for my shoulder and my ego! :rofl:

Throw a little scrimmage in like @silverblue described and it seems like itā€™ll be a lot better. A dunk contest, 3 point contest, and dance contest isnā€™t gonna get a huge crowd every year I donā€™t think. Nor will some B List rapper

Yep. You need to have a 10 minute scrimmage for each team if you are going to have an event like this.

3 Likes

Juwan celebrated that dance battle victory like it was a B1G title.

2 Likes

You know heā€™s big on dancing.:wink:

1 Like

Who was the rapper?? I remember I went to a pep rally type thing my freshman year, 2016-17, and DJ Khaled was the performer but he just sung over a bunch of his songs playing in the background. It was weird haha

I was hoping to see the Cabbage Patch!

Yeah I agree, I think basically this setup with a quick scrimmage mixed in would be ideal. May be difficult though with a menā€™s/womenā€™s combo event. Do many other schools do that in their midnight madness type things? And I think G Herbo was a pretty good choice, maybe B list but you can tell it really got the players hype. They were living up on stage with him

2 Likes

Yes after watching him live thereā€™s no way in the world he isnā€™t living his life to the fullest or leaving anytime soon

3 Likes

Brandon Johns is a great dancer!

2 Likes

According to my expert sources, G Herbo is legit for a college aged audience.

5 Likes

I donā€™t think Michigan is far from Snoop showing up, maybe tee grizz firstā€¦ Watching the highlights it was something.

2 Likes

All of the players (and Juwan) seemed to have a great time, but walking in to Crisler, I wasnā€™t thinking weā€™d dance better than we dunked.

3 Likes