Three-star forward Jace Howard commits to Michigan

no one is talking about bajema, but i really hope he hasnt been discouraged/think of transferring. no reason, just the silence scares me

looking at where there are log jams for playing time… i would think nunez and castleton

5 Likes

That’s how I see it too.

i had/have high hopes for castleton. was hoping he would make the jump like teske, so far not so much

Most likely someone that people like will transfer.

3 Likes

I hope no one here gets disappointed if non of the freshman are starters for the team next year. Especially at the beginning of the season although we may hope one or two break the starting rotation. The positions up for grabs next season seem to be the two (2) guard and the five (5).

If none of the freshmen are starters to begin the season, then we’re going to be really, really good.

9 Likes

i would be shocked if Christopher (if he committed) wasn’t starting. Would say alot about bajema

I assume he is thinking the starting lineup would be DDJ, Eli, Franz, Livers and Johns/Castleton. Not Bajema

I would be shocked if Christopher didn’t start if he commits though.

If Chrisopher comes there’s a 0.0% chance he isn’t starting. If no Christoper, I could see a scenario with no freshman starters but would guess one would be starting.

1 Like

I am thinking that the positions a freshman could start would be the 2 (Christopher if he comes) and 5 (Hunter). Livers if still here will start also Wagner with the unknown being who starts at the 1,2 and 5.

I would set the over/under on freshmen starting next season at 2.5. And I would personally hammer the over.

Do we know how tall he really is? Because it seems different sites have different info.

Are you saying Todd and/or Brown would not start?

1 Like

Give me the under. I think it’s more likely Livers and Wagner are on campus next year than Todd firstly.

But even if Todd is on campus he’s gonna have to beat out some combination of Livers, Wagner, and Johns to start. I feel really good about DDJ or Brooks being the starting PG over Zeb. Dickerson will have to battle Castleton for the center spot which isn’t a lock imo. Christopher has not even committed yet, but he would definitely be the starting 2 no matter what. Williams and Howard aren’t starting candidates as freshman.

My guess right now at the starting lineup next year would be DDJ, Christopher, Franz, Livers, Castleton

You may end up being right. I bet they land Christopher and Todd comes to campus. I think Dickinson will start over Castleton immediately. And I think there’s gonna be more attrition than we’d like from returning players that will be fighting with Todd/Christopher/Dickinson for spots.

Are you talking “starting” as in players on the court at the opening tipoff or are you using the more flexible “starting” as in players who receive the most playing time at their positions? Because it wouldn’t surprise me if – at least to start the season – returning players were in the starting lineup (DDJ, Brooks, Wagner, Livers/Johns … depending on Livers pro options) while someone like Todd or Christopher came off the bench but still saw 25+ minutes per game.

But a LONG way to go before those recruits are officially signed and on campus, so…

I’m talking in the starting lineup. And yes, definitely lots needs to happen to get there still. But I’m operating under my own ridiculously optimistic belief that Christopher and Todd are both on next year’s roster. And if those players are there, I don’t think it’s a given that any upperclassmen return. Hopefully there’s a good mix of vets and incoming freshmen, but Johns and Castleton are getting quite the opportunity to emerge right now and they aren’t exactly passing the test well enough to make me think they’ll start over Todd/Dickinson.

The obvious counterargument is that if Franz and Livers both return, they should both start along with a non-Zeb PG. But I personally think there’s a better chance Todd + Christopher + major attrition happens than vice versa.

I think Nunez and Davis likely look elsewhere, with livers possibly going pro. Seems the most likely scenario, but as Dylan notes, its kind of pointless speculating from the outside…

1 Like

My concern is I’d rather have almost everyone over Jace next year. Not trying to knock him but Soph Cole , junior Johns/Colin are all better imo.

Maybe I gotta look at the numbers again but if Christopher comes we would need three people to leave, right?

Incorrect. As of now, without Davis returning for a 5th year, Michigan would be at a full 13 scholarships.

Next year by class with current commitments…
SR (2) Livers, Brooks
JR (4) DeJulius, Johns, Castelton, Nunez
SO (2) Wagner, Bajema
FR (5) Jackson, Todd, Dickinson, Williams, Howard

Christopher (or any other commitment) would require a departure of someone else on this list…but I cannot think of a time a coaching change has been made at a PowerConference basketball or football program where there wasn’t a defection/transfer out (honestly, I’m really surprised that no one has left already).

3 Likes