The spring/summer recruiting period will be impacted by COVID-19

Moving the spring/summer recruiting events feels inevitable at this point.

Michigan is banning off-campus recruiting until April 21st.

First Nike EYBL weekend is set for April 17 through 19th.

1 Like

Sounds minor in the scheme of things, but could have real impact on the recruiting world.

We are talking about no on campus visits until late April… that’s transfer season, late recruiting, all of that stuff.

Going to be a lot of complications that impact college hoops (and daily life).

1 Like

All of Michigan’s top recruiting targets might as well just commit now. There’s too much uncertainty about the future. Better get that spot locked in, IMHO

13 Likes

Poor Jon. His Twitter timeline is so depressing right now.

6 Likes

I wonder how this might impact 2020 recruits who haven’t made up their mind yet.

Can players still commit or transfer with the recruiting freeze?

Technically, yes. But they can’t visit schools officially or unofficially.

1 Like

Interesting, thanks Dylan!

This whole granting seniors another year of eligibility things seems to be gaining a lot of steam in the media. Odds of the NCAA acting out of public pressure seems like good odds to me. If Vegas put it on the book, I’d hammer it.

I would be really surprised if they did this for basketball. Baseball and other spring sports I have a much easier time seeing a waiver of eligibility for.

4 Likes

I get it for spring sports, but for hoops it makes no sense. They literally played the whole season besides the tournament. And the majority of teams don’t even make the tournament. Everyone gets to come back and go over the scholarship limit just because teams missed out on what is likely 1 or 2 more games? The tournament isn’t like a right included with your scholarship

4 Likes

I don’t think most seniors would even be interested in that. Bitter end, but most are ready to turn the page and move on to what’s next.

2 Likes

Makes a lot more sense for spring sports. I’d be surprised if it happens for winter sports.

2 Likes

You’d have to do it for all players as well, don’t see the logic in just doing it for seniors.

2 Likes

I always figured that the status of being an burger boy vastly outweighed what a player could show in the game itself.

3 Likes

Izzo is on ESPN stumping for it! Think he’d like another year of Cassius with no great PG options next year? Haha

6 Likes

The problem here is that were all expecting the NCAA to make a rational decision

2 Likes

Cassius needs to move on with his life and Izzo needs to let him. He already doesn’t have NBA measurables and is an older, more finished product. Delaying another year would make him 23 years old before going to the draft.

1 Like