The Point Guard Spot

Dakich is listed in the lowest kenpom usage category for a reason… because he rarely does anything. Again, you could put any number of SWAC players in his position and they’d shoot very well and not turn it over. Although against good teams he certainly struggles with the latter. If we needed Simmons to stand in one place, only take the widest of all open threes, pass to the next guy in our offense, and play absolutely brutal defense then he could. That’s not what we’re asking of him though.

5 Likes

I haven’t seen updated numbers, but I know after the first 10 or so games OSU had negative efficiency when Dakich was on the floor. Probably has changed somewhat but you could replace Dakich with about any D1 PG and OSU would be the same team. Jaaron would probably be doing better at OSU. I mean, didn’t someone say Dakich has like a 42% TO Margin against Tier A/B teams? That’s beyond awful and a 60% FG% on 30 shots doesn’t make up for that.

3 Likes

See my comments about Dakich on the Big Ten Discussion thread. I’ll say again, Chris Holtman is VERY happy Dakich went with him to OSU. Andrew is MOST DEFINITELY playing a “meaningful and positive” role on that team!

With OSU down 18-13 Dakich led a 22-2 run scoring 11 points himself, contributing a couple of assists and playing lockdown defense on Kevin Huerter. Yes, lockdown.

And yet we still made the right decision based on the information available to us.

12 Likes

I’m not saying we didn’t. I simply made a comment about “meaningful and positive” and several people wanted to take issue with me, and they did it by disparaging Andrew Dakich. I could be MUCH more nasty than I’m being by pointing out how well Dakich is playing. In my opinion there are a few people who ought to be backtracking a bit from the arguments they made a few days ago. That’s all.

1 Like

The number of times that some people on here have been “totally done” bringing this up only to bring it up again is far too high.

3 Likes

HaHa! You’re funny dude!

Just out of curiosity, why do you have such a problem with players being criticized? He’s 22. He’s a man. And to be honest, nothing I see here is even bad. He’s hit more than 1 field goal against two high major teams this year, I think it’s fair to say people are exaggerating how well he’s doing, especially when shooting at a level that would nosedive at a higher sample size.

2 Likes

He’s a college kid. He’s out there busting his butt everyday in practice. He’s performing on a huge stage. He’s a great kid who has worked incredibly hard to get to where he is. Why am I opposed to internet jockeys criticizing these kids? Maybe because I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about. He is “shooting at a level that would nosedive at a higher sample size?” How do you know that? By the way, that sample size increased tonight. His percentages actually might have gone UP, at least in the first half they did. Maybe because I taught and coached for a long, long time. I have always supported my students and my players. I have always lifted my players up. There are people out there who really don’t have a clue what it takes for these kids to get where they are, to do what they do, and many of those folks really don’t have a clue. I don’t know anything about you, other than you are from Carolina and you went to Michigan. I don’t know if you played college ball, and therefore can, perhaps, do the things you would criticize players for not doing. I don’t know if you’ve ever coached anyone in anything. I don’t know, for instance, if you know anything about how devastated our players were in the locker room after the Purdue game. I don’t know if you have ever had to step to the line and make a free throw with the game on the line and 10,000 or 15,000 fans screaming at you and maybe millions more watching on TV…and missed…and had to live, in your heart, with the knowledge that you let down your teammates. Or you made the game winning free throws and got to experience the exhilaration of that feeling. Andrew doesn’t deserve to be criticized by you. He doesn’t. And to do it to “attempt” to refute my arguments in his favor? I don’t think so. As for criticism, when I criticized my players, and of course I did from time to time, it was done in the confines of the locker room or on the practice floor among a family of teammates, or in private after practice. It was not done for the world to see on a public message board. “He’s a 22 year old man.” Well, I’m a nearly 71 year old man. I’ve been around a long time. I’ve seen a lot of basketball. I’ve coached and taught a lot of kids, and those kids would tell you that I’d go to war for them. I’m proud that Andrew Dakich played for Michigan, and I am so happy, for him, that he is having such a good year and such a good experience, and for living his dream, even if it had to be at Ohio State. He is making “meaningful and positive contributions.” Now, you tell me, why is it so important for you to be a critic.

If he starts doing it consistently against conference competition, maybe you’ll be right and people will retract their opinions. But he was absolutely atrocious for us (he was a walk on, so like duh). So I don’t really do anything other than shrug my shoulders if he ends up having a good year and Simmons doesn’t. Simmons over Dakich is a decision that 99.9% of coaches would have made. He hasn’t been disparaged. People have just said he’s not a very good basketball player against good teams or that he didn’t do well for us. That’s not an attack on his character or anything personal.

1 Like

edit: length warning, this turned much longer than I expected. Some of this logic should be addressed though.

Well this is backwards, for one, and I just think you’re taking this far too personally. He’s a guy. We’re saying he wouldn’t be playing here. That’s not malicious in any way and it’s hardly worth all this. I mean not to be rude, but is he like a relative of yours or something?

Come on man, it’s not humanly possible to shoot 70% with a good sample size.

Nobody is saying he didn’t work hard or we’re not happy for him. I mean again, come on.

I REALLY do not like this logic. You don’t have to be a chef to criticize a meal, or a director to say Caligula was a bad movie, or a musician to say “Lil Yachty” is a disgrace to sound.

I just don’t see any connection here. None at all. It has nothing to do with anything.

Because I didn’t coach basketball or whatever? Again, we’re saying he wouldn’t play here. That’s not an attack on his heart or his desire to win or whatever the hell this giant mess is that you’re trying to make it.

You keep saying things like this and acting as though someone here disagrees with it.

And he wouldn’t be if he stayed here. Good for him. Fantastic decision on his part.

7 Likes

Can we get a Patreon only board?

1 Like

We actually have one lol

Show me the way!

Guys, I know when I’m outnumbered. But I will say one more thing. Critics are a dime a dozen, and that’s usually what their opinions are worth. Have fun. LOL

You’ve made the mistake of basing this whole thing on your idea that saying someone wouldn’t make an impact here is an assault on his character or effort. It’s sinply not true and it’s been blown 500% out of proportion. If you find that funny, that’s fine.

1 Like

Say all the platitudes you want, but your statements are not grounded in reality.

1 Like

Half of you in this thread are taking this out of context. Saying Andrew Dakich is playing well doesn’t mean “We should have kept him over taking in Jaaron Simmons” or he would have made an impact.

1 Like

This is getting tedious guys.

4 Likes