The Athletic’s All- Michigan 89’ and on Team

I didn’t like Dave Brandon’s unretiring of numbers, which was another half-way measure, but something like that is more appealing to me at least. To me, retiring numbers is something you do for those generational players. It should happen a handful of times. IMO the Pistons have retired way too many.

1 Like

No retroactive action. I think those that are already up are untouchable. Devin Gardner was a Michigan Man in every sense of the word but giving him Tom Harmon’s #98 was a bad move by Brand-On!

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this above, but the only retired basketball number is Cazzie’s #33. Bajema wore Buntin’s #22 that’s hanging from the rafters.

2 Likes

It’s interesting. I don’t recall anyone wearing Glen Rice’s #41 since Leon Derricks in '93 or '94. I forget when he transferred.

In that case, I would like Burke’s in the rafters. Unanimous POY should get you that honor. Not to mention then making the championship game.

41 is extremely random and not likely to be an in demand number though

2 Likes

This sure makes it sound like Glen Rice’s number, and others, was retired:

See my other reply. It looks like it is indeed retired.

I think there is some issue with the wording in that article. It keeps saying the jersey is retired. It doesn’t say specifically that the number is retired as well. Mgoblue is also my source that those numbers are not retired. https://mgoblue.com/news/2009/6/10/Retired_Numbers_and_Honored_Jerseys.aspx

Colton Christian wore #45 and Bajema is not the only one to wear #22.

1 Like

Cazzie is the only retired Jersey:

Blake McLimans, Duncan Robinson and Cole Bajema all wore 22 after it went into the rafters

Ben Cronin wore 35 after it went into the rafters

Colton Christian wore 45 after it went into the rafters

1 Like

That’s a pretty sharp color combo on that jersey. I would’t mind alternates without any white in them. Just maize and blue.

1 Like

I think they wore something like that in the Bullock-era.

Very strange business but I guess that’s the deal. I get that Cazzie is the giant but it seems to me like Glen Rice belongs in the “retired” group.

Also, with Phil Hubbard being a player who left early for the NBA, that would seem to open the door for Trey.

2 Likes

Hubbard stayed four years and graduated. I don’t think they could ask more of him than that.

While looking for a photo of the jersey, I stumbled upon this:

Even though this was pretty much assumed as fact, I’d never seen KG publicly comment on it.

1 Like

The mgoblue article said he had a year of eligibility left. Maybe he was a redshirt?

Phil had a knee injury and missed his junior season.

1 Like