Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk

Anyone know anything about him?

I have a friend who is a UVA fan and says that Michigan saw him at camp in Oregon this past weekend and are now trying to recruit him.

Apparently UVA has been flying coaches out to Ukraine to watch him play all year. I didn’t feel like signing up for the UVA blogs but apparently info is posted at both The Sabre and 247

My friend sent me the article that was posted on Tuesday:

Almost under the radar

As the title of this section suggests, Ukraine national Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk flew under the radar for so long, that there was hope that this would wrap for UVa before the rest of college basketball knew anything about him.

As we said on Tuesday night, UVa has been on Mykhailiuk for more than a year, led by assistant Ron Sanchez. This was close to being done in time for the fall signing period but the NCAA red tape with international players from an academic perspective can be tough.

While UVa is by no means out of the running, Mykhailiuk’s late edition to the roster at last week’s Nike Hoop Summit wasn’t something that UVa wanted to see. The secret was no longer and the flood gates opened with interest.

Virginia is still in very good standing here, thanks to the time they operated under the radar, including trips to the Ukraine to see Mykhailiuk over the past year, but Michigan, Kansas, and SMU are now in the mix and Oregon is pushing hard to enter the fray.

What’s the buzz and fanfare all about? For one, he’s 6-foot-6, 190-pound combo guard that is a sharp-shooter. Secondly, he’s a 16 year old but academically, he’s a 2014 prospect.

The Ukrainian has been compared to Kobe Bryant, Manu Ginobili, and even UVa’s own Joe Harris, who we hear has a big fan in Mykhailiuk.

Wow!

Huff now Sviat? Just show him footage of Stauskas. Maybe a visit during the Euro trip? lol

Spencer T. Martin
‏@SpencetmarttyT
@Balas_Wolverine According to Eric Bossi Michigan among 3 favorites for Ukraine phenom Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. Visits being setup in a week.

From Jason King today:
  1. One of the biggest recruiting battles taking place this spring is hardly receiving any attention. Kansas and Virginia are considered the leaders for Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk, a 6’6” shooting guard/small forward from the Ukraine.
    “(He’s) the best prospect in Europe in a long time, probably since Ricky Rubio,” writes NBADraft.net
    Fran Fraschilla, ESPN’s foremost authority on foreign players, agrees.
    “If he were in the United States,” Fraschilla told me Tuesday, “he’d be one of the 10 best prospects in the Class of 2015.”
    Notice Fraschilla said 2015. Mykhailuik doesn’t turn 17 until next month. But but he’s already completed high school in the Ukraine, where students receive diplomas after the 11th grade. Thus, if he achieves a qualifying score on his standardized test, he’ll be eligible to play Division I ball this coming season.
    Fraschilla said qualifying shouldn’t be a problem for Mykhailuik, the son of a history professor who speaks good English.
    “If he ends up in college he’ll face a little bit of a challenge because of his age,” Fraschilla said. “But he’s just so skilled. He would impact a team immediately.
    “He’s a 6’6” combo guard. He’s not a pure point—but he can play the point. He’s a dead-eye shooter who is tough as nails. It’d be like signing a really good player from Detroit or Pittsburgh or Chicago. He’s a competitor.”
    Fraschilla said Mykhailuik wants to play college ball. The fear, however, is that a foreign team will offer him enough money over the summer to make he and his family reconsider.
    “A club over there could make it very difficult for him to leave,” Fraschilla said. “Right now I’d say there’s a 50-50 chance he ends up in college.”
    If that happens, Virginia or Kansas seems like the most likely destination. Virginia is thought to have a slight edge over the Jayhawks at the moment, mainly because the Cavaliers have been recruiting him longer and because the family has friends in the Washington D.C. area. But Kansas coach Bill Self met with Mykhailuik at the Nike Hoops Summit last month in Portland, and sources said Mykhailuik plans to visit Lawrence this summer.
    One of the highlights of Mykhailuik’s visit with Self, a source said, was watching footage of former Jayhawk center Sasha Kaun, a Ukraine native, on a Kansas highlight reel.
    “Clips of Mario Chalmers and Darrell Arthur and Ben McLemore didn’t move him at all,” the source said. “He has no idea who those guys are. But when Sasha Kaun popped up on the screen the whole family went crazy.”

Here’s the Rivals thread where Bossi mentions Michigan. https://rivalshoops.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=103&tid=200695079&mid=200695079&sid=910&style=2

Kansas, Michigan & UVa.

Kansas- former Jayhawk Sasha Kaun was his teammate and close friend. Bill Self is also an elite recruiter.

UVA- Recruited him the longest

UM- Guard development (Nik Stauskas) and lack of wing depth

They’re telling me, in order to read this info, I must pay a large fee. Information is so expensive these days I tell ya! Geeeesh! :wink:

Interesting stuff but I guess it is either Sviatoslav or Eron due to ships?

Interesting stuff but I guess it is either Sviatoslav or Eron due to ships?

Good problem to have. assuming we get 1.

He’s considered 2014, right? People on other sites seem to be confused by this…

Found this Interview. It seems he has until May 21 to find a school to be considered 2014. Interview with Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk starts at the 1:00:50 mark of the podcast.

http://www.heinnews.com/basketball/nba/taking-the-charge-podcast-85-albert-schweitzer-tournament-special-part-ii-sviatoslav-mykhailiuk-and-josh-steel/

Glad we’re in it. Doubt he comes. I don’t think he can go wrong with any of the three schools he’s considering though. Kansas is Kansas. He’d develop defensively at Virginia. And our wing development is elite.

Stauskas 2.0
Never thought it was possible!

The 21st was the date to decide if he was coming overseas. Seems that decision has been made.

Our chances with this kid are slim and none, and you know who just left town. We are supposedly in on much more viable options, and we are not a realistic player for him, IMO.

@SweaterSports
Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk visiting KU this weekend and UVA next weekend @sevedge

I hope Eron Harris works out for us.