Statement from John Beilein on transfer restrictions

There’s no place for this crap Hail. Grow up

1 Like

It was a joke, relax. Nothing personal.

I agree completely.

I wish Spike’s dad wouldn’t have chimed in and said he thought it was unfair.

1 Like

Can we really stop this crap? All you constantly do is want to pick fights with everybody. Are you trying to push people off this board? I don’t have a fake identity either in fact I am absolutely insulted you would make this accusation. It’s absolutely disgusting you would make a statement like this. Dylan I like your board here but do we have people trying to bait others and baseless accusations without any ground for them in the first place. This isn’t the first time hail has tried to do this. Dylan can we get an ignore feature on this site?

1 Like

I’m very relaxed. Dylan has warned us enough the past week. Let’s not F it up.

Hailtoyourvictor is wrong it is not only people who stand to profit or who have an agenda that want to use this as an excuse to be critical.

There is room to be critical of JB for not being media savy.

Love for Spike throughout college basketball + seemingly insensitive (but fairly innocent) remarks by JB + Forde’s article + difficult to understand redundancy of rules and procedures = media backlash that is lacking in actual substance but still very real and damaging in terms of appearances.

In hindsight JB should have made it clear that his rules are just a committed show of support to the league rules outside of his control and that he wants to support Spike to go wherever he wants to go. Bottom line: America wants Spike to treated fairly because they love him so much.

It was a joke. Put the pitchforks down and let’s move on.

To clarify, Izzo doesn’t like the grad transfer rule, i.e. the ability of a kid to transfer for his fifth year without sitting out. So he in effect supports the B1G rule that restricts those transfers. Google it. There’s a number of articles. Ryan tried to restrict Uthoff’s transfer options a few years ago (a standard transfer but with conditions excluding certain B1G schools), but backed off after he came under fire.

So Izzo has an opinion but realizes it would be foolish not to utilize the rule if it exists to his advantage. He brought in Brandon Wood and with 2 scholarships available now it’s quite possible he goes that route again. I don’t have a problem with Izzo voicing his opinion but he also knows it would be foolish not to use it.

1 Like

My point is that his position is the same as Beilein’s, and Beilein, too, has looked at grad transfers as long as the the rules allow it. Only Beilein is being criticized for his position by guys like Forde. Other coaches oppose the grad transfer rule, too, and do not like their 4 year players leaving for another school.

I wish JB was not the one caught up in this specific debate, but it is occurring within a bigger context where people are questioning whether or not the athletes are getting that great of deal when you consider what they are bringing to the university, the league, the ncaa. In that sense, I am glad more people are talking what is and is not fair to the student athletes…

1 Like

I think Izzo plays the media game better than others, certainly better than Beilein. Also don’t forget if Beilein did put the clause into the agreement that Albrecht couldn’t play for a team that was on Michigan’s schedule the next 2 years. Does that supersede the B1G agreement therefore making it impossible for him to move to another B1G school? Obviously it’s not a big deal now but I think we can all understand why there was the national media story. This isn’t just a Beilein issue this a Michigan issue in general eg. Morris/Hoke/Brandon national story. The school isn’t good with the press.

Warde Manuel’s thoughts

So do you figure Spike would have turned down his Michigan offer if he knew there would be some limitations should he want to transfer? Michigan gave Spike a shot and now he’s is in a position to have his masters paid for. I bet that’s more than Spike would have ever dreamed of. I don’t think this a huge deal, certainly not as big of a deal as half the final four being made up of schools caught up in academic fraud. As usual the national media has their head screwed on backward.

3 Likes

Thanks, Coltrane. for a little perspective. What Syracuse and NC point to is system-wide rot–and no one is going to kill the goose that laid the rotten egg. Getting your knickers in a knot about one coach who like many other coaches gets a little tetchy at the notion that one of his players might take the playbook to an opponent school, along with your years of investment in him, that’s easier game.

I think Beilein made the right decision, and I think players should have such mobility as a matter of right–if we flip the script we notice that players are providing the spectacle that makes the schools their money, that the whole creaking edifice depends on. But my god. . . And the people here who are all to happy to find their little angle to pile on more, rather than point out the stupid–we know their patterns pretty well by now, but still. . . a little weak.

Josh Jackson? Since coaches can’t comment on unsigned players, I’m not sure what you would expect him to do any differently?

Coltrane, I do not want to push my point too far because I don’t want to give you the impression that I am in total disagreement with what you have said. But I can not help myself. I agree the discussion about whether or not it is fair for there to be restrictions placed upon Spike is small potatoes compared to the real corruption with other programs that are receiving much less media attention and who made it to the final four! However, I do think the bigger discussion going on as to whether or not student athletes are getting a fair deal relative to what they bring to the schools, leagues and ncaa is actually directly related to the bigger corruption we see. The student athletes are in a vulnerable position. The balance of power is against them. Given that fact, I hardly think determining whether or not something is fair, hinges upon whether or not both parties entered into an agreement. I also think we should not gauge fairness relative to the expectations or “dreams” of the vulnerable party. Are former sweat shop workers judged to be involved in a fair deal because despite their expectations they somehow had an opportunity to escape a 2 dollar an hour job for 6 dollar an hour job? I know, that is laying it on a bit thick but I don’t agree with your logic here. A more relevant question would be: if the college players formed a union that threatened a strike unless transfer restrictions on players were lifted do you you really think the NCAA and leagues would see the restrictions as an obstacle to reaching an agreement? Hell no. The agreement between the two parties sheds no light on the question of fairness because the agreement is a reflection of relative power not fairness.

1 Like

Question - When do transfers generally decide on what school they will be attending next year? Just keeping an eye on Spike & Ricky’s decision and was wondering if anyone knows generally when we can expect an announcement (can’t remember when Max officially signed on with IU).

Thanks

Having stated that I support the unrestricted release of Spike, I would add that I hope he doesn’t choose a team that is on our schedule next year. Especially a Big Ten school. I was disappointed in Bielfeldt in going to a B1G school, especially Indiana. I can’t imagine that Spike would go to OSU or MSU. I would be okay with him at Rutgers or Minnesota.

It all depends on the coaches. Max was about to decide to head to Iowa State until Holberg left. Not sure when the exact date of that was but it has to be near the end of the school year/beginning of the summer.