Seth Towns Catches FIRE: Day 2 AAU Nationals Highlights

I think Towns has more potential than Irvin at the same stage of their development. I really can’t see anything that Irvin did as well as Towns. Both good shooters, Towns has the better handle, better change of direction, Towns has more size as well.

I think a 6'8'' Zak Irvin is a 4 but Towns has 2 more years so lets track it.

Well a 6’6" Zak Irvin was a four last year :slight_smile: The ‘four’ label is tough because the position is exactly the same as the three offensively at Michigan.

Which is why I take the statement from the staff “you’re position is who you can guard” with a HUGE grain of salt. JB is going to put the best 5 offensive players out there regardless of who they can guard.

I think a 6'8'' Zak Irvin is a 4 but Towns has 2 more years so lets track it.

Well a 6’6" Zak Irvin was a four last year :slight_smile: The ‘four’ label is tough because the position is exactly the same as the three offensively at Michigan.

Yeah, I meant more so defensively. In an ideal world, a 6’8’’ Irvin with the same athletic profile is guarding 4s.

I think Towns has more potential than Irvin at the same stage of their development. I really can't see anything that Irvin did as well as Towns. Both good shooters, Towns has the better handle, better change of direction, Towns has more size as well.

Agreed but the comparison was to Stauskas and Klay Thompson as 2/3s an they definitely are better laterally and as playmakers.

Stauskas no doubt is superior in terms of playmaking…but I mean you could probably say that about Stauskas in relation to 90-95% of the college pool. Didn’t watch Klay in college, but he damn sure isn’t a playmaker in the league. That man has never met a shot that he didn’t like.

I think Towns has more potential than Irvin at the same stage of their development. I really can't see anything that Irvin did as well as Towns. Both good shooters, Towns has the better handle, better change of direction, Towns has more size as well.

I’m not disagreeing (I haven’t studied the film of either), but if that’s true, why do you think Irvin was so much more highly rated? I understand the inherent flaws in the ratings, just curious since it doesn’t seem likely that Irvin wowed with athleticism, which is often the route to a high star rating with relatively lower skill set. Appreciate your view.

Up to #111 on 247 - rankings updated today. Only a matter of time before he makes a huge jump in the rankings

Stauskas no doubt is superior in terms of playmaking..........but I mean you could probably say that about Stauskas in relation to 90-95% of the college pool. Didn't watch Klay in college, but he damn sure isn't a playmaker in the league. That man has never met a shot that he didn't like.

Klay Thompson was a good playmaker in college Klay Thompson College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

He is also an elite defender with a post-up game

Things Towns can develop but as of now, he is closer to Irvin than those guys

I’m not disagreeing (I haven’t studied the film of either), but if that’s true, why do you think Irvin was so much more highly rated? I understand the inherent flaws in the ratings, just curious since it doesn’t seem likely that Irvin wowed with athleticism, which is often the route to a high star rating with relatively lower skill set. Appreciate your view.

Can’t rally speak to that because I obviously didn’t participate in the rankings. I do know this - when I watched HS film on Irvin I thought he was VASTLY overrated as a 5 star. He is a great catch and shoot player, but he was really limited in terms of playmaking because his handle was very weak. I really only seen him use a hesitation dribble with his right to get to the rim in HS. He RARELY, if ever, changed direction. I think scouts saw him playing in basketball rich state and were enamored with his length and pull-up jumpers…personally I think length is overvalued unless you have athleticism to accompany it. Im much bigger on athleticism than most, I think it’s almost imperative if you’re going to be a good defender.

Towns, on the other hand, has a much more complete game, along with 2 inches.

I think Irvin had a better offensive game as of now (floaters, pull ups, straight line drives). He also has broad shoulders and can shoot on the move, which I haven’t seen from Towns.

No way Irvin had a better offensive game as a sophomore in relation to Towns, I don’t even think it’s particularly close to be honest. Look at the film from the Adidas all in film you posted and compare to Irvin as a sophomore…pretty big difference in my opinion

Irvin can shoot off the catch, while moving in transition, off curls, off the dribble, off ball screens, off pin downs, floater, turn around fade aways… Towns has a ways to go.

Irvin might have been able to do that as a senior, which yeah, with 2 years of development that tends to happen. Im talking about as a sophomore…Irvin was nowhere near as impressive

True.

And while Irvin is bad laterally where as Nik/Klay aren’t, he has better end to end foot speed.

Playmaking, laterally, foot speed and versatility as a shooter are the 4 things to track with Towns. At worst you get at stretch 4 and at best you get a giant wing. Hopefully he commits soon.

On the committing soon…I’m on record saying I expected him to drop early…but that’s got to be very unlikely now that he’s blowing up, no? I’d love if it happened, but I would think he’d want to explore his new status for a bit before settling down, so to speak.

I believe if Moyer were offered by UM it would progress rather rapidly with both.

By the time a Towns is a senior he is top 30 in the nation IMO. He is a must get now!

Small write-up of Seth Towns and Matt Moyer http://future150.com/hs/basketball-news/louisville-aau-nationals-recap-robinson-impresses-13084

By the time a Towns is a senior he is top 30 in the nation IMO. He is a must get now!

As much as I want that to happen, truth is Towns will never have the requisite athleticism to be a top 30 player. He is a top 70-90 player right now in my opinion, and if he can show the ability to create for others with passing, then he has the potential to be a top 50-70 player…unless he grows, at which point he could very well be a top 30 player, but that is the only way in my opinion.