Scouting Report & Video Breakdown: Justin Pierce

I like his game. His on ball d wasn’t great but he moves his feet pretty good. I didn’t think he looked much slower than Duncan if at all (looked more athletic to me actually in that regard)and coach y got him as a serviceable defender. He also seemed to have nice timing on steals.

Justin Pierce #4 grad transfer. FWIW he is a traditional junior not a redshirt. I had that wrong in the past, he just graduated in three years.

Yep. He’s even more vertically explosive than Iggy. A lot less strength though.

Far better passer and in transition,

Yeah, this is where Pierce would be a huge get for a team that struggled in transition due to poor spacing, bad passes, and its share of missed opportunities to start a break. Pierce looks like someone who could address all of those problem areas.

1 Like

I am all for this one if Beilein seals the deal.

Definitely looks more athletic than I anticipated. I think I unfairly was judging him based solely on the fact he didn’t play for a power 5 conference.

Hope this works out for us, a little better better than Jaaron Simmons did.

1 Like

CM OFFICIALLY not coming back even though we all new that. We wish CM nothing but the best.

1 Like

I’ve been seeing some talk that JB views Pierce as a 2/3 which is very…questionable to me.

I think the best way to look at Pierce is that he can share the floor with just about anyone. His game really fits between different styles of players because of how comfortable he is playing off the ball.

This also kind of gets at why I would be fine with taking Pierce and Wagner.

4 Likes

If the coach thinks he can play 2, that’s fantastic.

Not sure how much comfort that will bring me when Pierce is guarding a slashing 2 and X is the only player on the floor who can dribble…

There’s obviously going to be a fall off from Charles Matthews guarding the best wing on the opposing team to anyone on next year’s roster guarding the opposing best wing.

I don’t really see that changing no matter who Michigan brings in. A lot of people tout Isaiah Livers in that role and that’s not something that I would really want to bank on either.

In reality, Michigan’s defense is going to be very different next year without Charles. Any of these late additions seem most likely to help on the offensive end and I think you have to hope to make a larger leap on offense than a drop off on defense.

FWIW, I still see Pierce as a 3/4 wing more than a 2/3.

4 Likes

In regards to Livers its a bit of give and take right? Probably a bit of a drop off in defense and to some extent taking someone off the dribble. But we should gain some in shooting behind the 3 pt line and fewer turnovers.

You see it similarly?

Tough to project what Livers will be offensively this year. I think a lot depends on the two players next to him at the 2-3-4.

I could see Pierce being capable of being a 2 offensively. His passing and I think his shooting will be sufficient enough for a 2. I wonder if his handles would be up to par to be a 2 though. Defensively I don’t think he can defend 2s so that is a bit of an issue. Michigan will almost surely regress some defensively but hopefully they can make up that ground on the offensive end. In particular shooting and ball movement.

Simpson
Pierce
Wilson or Livers
Livers or Johns
Teske

Could be the starting 5 next year. I think I’d prefer this over Brooks as of now. Lots of size and shooting potentially but the big question would be ball handling and on ball defense on the wings. If Wagner came in that’d be a potentially interesting dilemma as well. A good dilemma. Any other possible starting lineups people would think?