Scholarship Situation

I think there is still a roster limit, regardless of your mix of scholarships/walk-ons.

It was a Joke.

I donā€™t believe you can move down once you have a scholarship? I could be wrong on this though. In football, I believe there is a rule that you canā€™t be recruited as a walk-on if you take an official visit to that school. Not sure if thatā€™s the case in basketball as well.

It must have been because I donā€™t think there are 17 students in their entire university with academic scholarships! Joking! :rofl:

1 Like

But that is the factual part. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are a walk-on, the scholarship can be awarded to you for the rest of your career or on a year to year basis. For example, if a junior walk-on was awarded a scholarship because there were only 12 scholarships on the roster, it does not mean they automatically get the scholarship the following year. They could, strictly based off what the language says in the scholarship papers.

An example, my wife is a D1 track and field coach. They write their scholarships based off of four years and will guarantee that specific money or percentage for the four years. If the athlete performs better or another scholarship athlete leaves, the athlete can be awarded more money on a year to year basis or for the rest of their career. It can be really tricky with the math because they only get 18 scholarships for roughly 70 women. Not all athletes are on scholarships but the range goes from $1,000 to a full ride.

Yes, itā€™s different than the 13 full scholarships that basketball gets but I hope I made it clearer.

In football (or any sport for that matter), you can go on an official visit as a walk-on. There is (or was) some different lingo that categorizes walk-ons into two separate groups but itā€™s too much to explain.

Forget this post.

1 Like

Yes, and there are a couple of exceptions I know of. If you award a scholarship to a freshman walk-on, itā€™s a four year guarantee in the Big Ten. Thatā€™s to keep schools from getting around class size limits, particularly in football. Football also has a category called blueshirts, which applies only to recruits if they donā€™t take an official visit and donā€™t receive an official offer. Theyā€™re not walk-ons. They get a scholarship as freshmen, but count as part of the following years recruiting class. Iā€™m pretty sure that is only for football, but itā€™s easy to mix up the various rules.