Recruiting Honesty at Michigan

“We tell them the truth,” Beilein said. "We tell them that you have to earn things and that we’ve got a lot of good players that we work hard and are all together. We have no promises. We’ll under-promise and over-deliver is the hope. Come in an earn what you can earn. If not, this is a team-first attitude. If that doesn’t suit you, then we’re good with it
As printed from MLIVE…4/14/2015

Straight up, honest and direct! Team, Team, Team!

Well he needs to stop telling players like Chatman , GR3 & DJ Wilson that they will be used as guards and 3’s and tell them they will be playing power forwards.

Well he needs to stop telling players like Chatman , GR3 & DJ Wilson that they will be used as guards and 3's and tell them they will be playing power forwards.

Aren’t the 3s and 4s basically the same thing in the offense?
They play on the perimeter like wings.

Well he needs to stop telling players like Chatman , GR3 & DJ Wilson that they will be used as guards and 3's and tell them they will be playing power forwards.

Aren’t the 3s and 4s basically the same thing in the offense?
They play on the perimeter like wings.

I think his comment was more relevant to defense.

I dislike quotes like that. Michigan is no different than any other big time power conference school you have to earn your time.

I am nearly positive that Beilein did NOT tell Chatman and Wilson they would be used as guards or 3’s. In fact, I specifically remember a Beilein quote early on about how since Kam was a lefty he would make a great 4 in the system. I don’t know where you got that he told that to Wilson, and unless you provide a source, I’m guessing it was made up.

Lastly, Beilein didn’t lie to GR3 about playing the 3. For the beginning of his sophomore season, we played a lot of 2 big lineups with McGary and Morgan out there and GR3 at the 3, but then McGary got injured and we had to move Glenn up to the 4. If you put the fault for that on Beilein, you’re crazy.

Chatman was told from the very beginning that he was being recruited to replace GR3 at the 4. I remember him saying as much in a scout article a couple of years ago.