Really interesting move by John Beilein as he builds his staff in Cleveland

Minnesota fans don’t care either. That’s the worst part.

Given Beilein’s track record, I’m sure she’s a good choice.

I can’t get on board with the idea that it’s automatically a good thing merely because she’s a woman, however.

I’m not sure how growing up as a girl rather than a boy is of any benefit in and of itself for the job she’ll be taking.

The idea of celebrating diversity of immutable characteristics for its own sake is not healthy, IMO.

Nor is the idea that having different backgrounds and experiences is invariably a virtue. If that were so, why not hire someone with no basketball experience at all, to get a totally fresh point of view?

Competence should be paramount in any case, and I’m confident she’ll be an asset for Beilein in Cleveland.

3 Likes

Don’t think that anyone at all is saying this. They’re celebrating the fact that a woman who apparently fills the bill is getting a chance. Sample of one. No need for a speech warning against the perils of diversity any more than for a speech about the perils of lack of same. We can probably all see from quite far away where people might line up politically on the matter. . .

2 Likes

The groundbreaking aspect of this hire is that she’s being hired regardless of being a woman, not because of it. I’d say it’s a celebration of gender neutrality, not diversity.

5 Likes

Fair enough. If the most liked comment in the thread was truly about a sample of one, though, it sure was oddly worded.

I do take issue with you labeling my comments as “a speech warning against the perils of diversity”. Not sure where you got that from. I said it wasn’t automatically a good thing in itself, not that it was necessarily a bad thing.

2 Likes

Well said. That’s a sentiment I can get on board with.

1 Like

I appreciate the response.

1 Like

No problem. I apparently interpreted a pair of comments above differently than did others.

If the general feeling is as bebopson put it, I don’t disagree with that at all.

2 Likes