Podcast: On John Beilein exiting, Michigan rising, and Michigan State falling

1 Like

Awesome to hear BQ writing about Austin “Big Country” Davis. Great timing! Shocked to hear about Beilein. Bummer.

Johns was good at Nebraska, terrific at MSG against Rutgers, but what definitively has made it all click for him? What was his epiphany?

BQ should know after this season – if Izzo doesn’t have senior role players, you don’t expect a deep run. He keeps talking about this season like it’s some sort of mystery to solve. It’s not. Izzo wins when he has guys like Goins and McQuaid to go with the Wintstons and Tillmans. He doesn’t win when he’s reliant on freshmen or those unbalanced-skillset guys he always has a surplus of.

5 Likes

Also, does anyone else feel like MSU has a solid amount of talent, but that they have wayyyyyy too many forwards?? The have so few guards and so few good options to back up Tillman as the big man, because their roster is like 70% forwards.

1 Like

Izzo seems to like to collect odd fits. When they round into schooled players as seniors though, and if you fit them around legit guys, the results are really impressive. Like last year. But that was last year.

Roster balance has been a big problem for them for a while now. They haven’t had enough guards on the roster since 2017… And they haven’t had enough GOOD guards on the roster since 2016. Always overloaded with either PFs or Cs.

1 Like

The 2018 and 2019 classes Izzo took 4 PFs and 2 SFs (Gabe Brown could maybe be a 2 tho). Watts and Loyer as the only Guards. Plus bringing in Hauser as a transfer. And Bingham being the only one of the PFs that Izzo would be okay with playing C

Yeah I mean they have Henry, Brown, Hall, Bingham, Kithier, Marble, Ahrens (could count as a guard I guess) and they get Hauser next year… Thats a lot of forwards I feel like.

Sorry Dylan but I agree with BQ that 5-1 is very attainable down the stretch for X,Isaiah and the guys. Go Blue! I feel sorry for JB that it didn’t work out in Clev. However I am very happy with Juwan Howard as HC and especially his initial class plus Christopher hopefully.

4 Likes

Kenpom gives us about a 10% chance of going 5-1 or better

2 Likes

Fully agree with you except I don’t feel sorry for Beilein at all he gave it a try and failed.

I don’t think Beilein has any regrets. It was something he wanted to do, and the opportunity came along. I think he would have regretted it if he had never taken an NBA job.

5 Likes

As much as I care for and respect Coach B, I don’t feel sorry for him, either. He made his decision, I think he knew what he was getting into and the situation he was entering, but it didn’t work out. I DO think that he may regret that he did it, and I think he regrets the way it happened, but I don’t feel sorry for him. And he certainly doesn’t want anyone to feel sorry for him.

I’m still torn as to what he’ll do next. I’ve made a case elsewhere that he might retire, but I just don’t know if he can give up coaching. He’ll have to some day, but I just don’t know if he is ready to do that yet. I wish him EVERYTHING that is good in the world!

3 Likes

Actually I don’t care what ken pom says.He’s not God. We’ve blown away ken pom the last three games. I’m just saying it’s attainable. If you don’t agree that’s your opinion.

1 Like

Congrats to Franz as B1G freshman of the week for 2nd time in 3 wks.

10 Likes

Ken pom is not unlike the B1G network talking heads changing their teams that have separated themselves from the rest of the conference weekly.

1 Like

Y’all should call up John Kenpom and tell him how bad his rankings are.

5 Likes

KenPom always changing his rankings smh

7 Likes

Yeah…who does Ken think he is anyway?! And don’t get me started on this new guy, Net.

7 Likes