Podcast: Breaking down Chaundee Brown's transfer to Michigan and U-M's scholarship count

4 Likes

Stupid Question: if Brown gets a waver, he plays next year and occupies one scholarship spot on the team. If he has to sit out for one year, what happens logistically? How are his expenses covered? If he takes classes the year he sits, who pays for his tuition and stipend?

Redshirting players are on scholarship that season. The only difference is that he can’t play.

1 Like

So, it is a two-year scholarship even though they can play only one year and it counts towards the allowable scholarships a team can have per year. Interesting.

Yes still on scholarship (and takes up a scholarship spot) for the year he sits

1 Like

Never thought of it this way, but if a waver is granted everybody wins. School minimizes expenses, player gets immediate usage. If a player has to sit out a year, school has more expenses (but it is peanuts to them), but more important, a player loses the most. Only NCAA could think of such injustice to the student athletes.

There is no difference in the expense to schools, but with a waiver another player gets a scholarship the following year.

1 Like

Sometimes that year is needed and beneficial to the player and program.

1 Like

When I watch Brown in highlights and read his scouting report, I get flashbacks to Ray Jackson. Maybe not as much ability to play above the rim, but body type, handle, defensive effort, positional flexibility. Shooting … ability to hit from outside, but not a great shooting percentage (especially when you adjust shooting percentages for differences in era of play).

3 Likes

I feel like we are due for a new pod.

8 Likes

We were going to have one but I managed to mess up the recording. Moving Screen tech problems can’t be held down by quarantine. :frowning_face:

Gotta figure out what comes next :rofl:

2 Likes

Pulling my subscription

3 Likes

Tell Brandon to quit golfing so much and re-record that pod.

1 Like

Can Otis sit in?