Oklahoma State (NCAA Tournament First Round)

Good to hear. It seems like we have more room for error. Evans and Solomon need to avoid fouls…

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Yeah, maybe you guys will just stick with that philosophy, but it’s harder to do against a team like Michigan that can go five out, and giving Michigan open looks from 3 is a dangerous philosophy. Still, it may be Underwood’s choice. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him mix it up, either with some press or some extended D in the half-court.

Yeah, Im pretty sure an overly aggressive defensive team, who dont have the personnel to blanket off-ball players on the perimeter, is just asking to get eaten up by Derrick and the PNR game. Derrick is finding everybody when they just get an inch of space and forcing nothing. One misread by a poor off-ball defender, and MAAR/DJ/Zak/Duncan will be walking to a layup.

1 Like

Hey… Sorry for the late response. Looks like n00bs only get 17 posts max per day. I maxed out and couldn’t respond yesterday. Weird deal.

To answer you, I’m split 50/50. I’m in a group with unlimited brackets and I filled out two. I have one with Michigan advancing and the other with the Pokes advancing. I have both losing to Louisville though.

Straight up between you and I, I’m going to be a homer and pick the Pokes. I think, win or lose, it’s going to be a tight and competitive game. It will probably be the best first round match up. I’ll be surprised if we curb stomp Michigan. I’ll be surprised and disappointed if Michigan curb stomps us.

1 Like

This is basically what we’ve been doing. Slag off, protect the hoop, hope you miss clear looks at the bucket. It’s why we’ve lost three straight to two teams that shoot the ball well.

1 Like

Just confirmed that I have tickets for tomorrow’s game. Let’s do this boys!

7 Likes

Last 18 games
Walton
18.3 points
5.4 rebounds
5.6 assists
1.8 turnovers
47% fg
42% 3pt

Evans
18.6 points
3.6 rebounds
7.0 assists
2.7 turnovers
42% fg
30% 3pt

Definitely the best first round pg matchup.

2 Likes

Made the trip to Indy.
Should be fun

4 Likes

He’s very good but I like Walton. And our team as a whole more.

Haha you are basically where I’m sitting

1 Like

Wow. What a game

1 Like

Oh wow. We saw a good game. Incredible 3 point shooting

2 Likes

Yeah the stress level was high. Nice to have a Michigan friendly crowd!
Now let’s hope that Louisville goes down in this next game

1 Like

Yup. If I were an OSU fan, I’d feel pretty excited about our future (after the disappointment wears off, of course). But I’m glad to be a Michigan fan today. Walton and Irvin with huge games, DJ too, and Rahk as well. Onward!

(Also, if I’m OSU, I have Evans shoot 1000 jumpers a day all summer. That guy refines his jumper, he’s a lottery pick.)

Nervewracking! Walton’s emergence has been amazing to watch. Team needs to play some defense though.

Ok St. looked good and they pick up a v. nice PG in Dawson (who I really wanted at Michigan).

Welp… another game, another three point flood from our opponent. It makes me want to puke, but it’s all here from Jeff and I. We don’t guard the long ball and we paid for it dearly today. Hell, after several of those wide open 3s dropped it seemed like Michigan got super confident and would jack them up from anywhere at any time even with a hand in their face! Kudos for stepping up and knocking those big ones down. It was a helluva game.

Like someone mention about Evans and his shooting… Evans shot wasn’t there today, but you can tell he is the engine of our offense. Strong rumor is he’s all in on the draft even if he isn’t a first rounder. If he comes back, we’ll be pretty dang good if Underwood can patch up our defense.

Congrats, thanks for the chatter, and good look going forward.

7 Likes

OSUWHIT and OSUJEFF97,

Thanks for the insights the last few days. You guys have a good team. I totally would have picked OSU to go deep if you guys landed on a different part of the bracket.

6 Likes

BTW, anyone know why we weren’t wearing maize? I can’t remember an NCAA tournament game when Michigan has been in the whites. Those are for home games against Northwestern, not do-or-die games in March. Seems they didn’t wear maize much this season – I associate the whites with managing expectations, the maize with leaving it all on the floor. Need to break out the maize against Louisville. Do it for Trey.

2 Likes

Agree 100,000,000% I shuddered when I saw the whites. Crazy that I mentally associate the maizes with big time performances but I totally do

1 Like

It was a bold strategy: leave the 3pt line open to prevent easy 2s, and it would’ve worked if we hadn’t caught fire. Evans is a monster, and it’s awesome to watch teams play their systems perfectly (all of your high PNRs and crashing the boards for Kobe assists was really entertaining to watch).

Thanks a lot for contributing to the discussion, and best of luck next year.

1 Like