Nojel Eastern commits to Michigan

I know what I said! “I’m sure the NBA is eager to draft a guy without a single discernible offensive skill”.

I said in another post somewhere that most of these transfers will come down to expectations. I absolutely love Eastern as a role player this year if Livers leaves or next year when we have such an empty roster. He can play and defend 1-thru-4 on the court, is a good rebounder, and brings tons of experience. I love the idea of him backing up everyone off the bench and coming in against a good team to shut down their best player. If that’s what he is - great.

My worry is that Eastern, just like most of these power-5 transfers, thinks he’s more than that. He probably thinks he’s a starting PG with NBA potential. If he’s playing 15-20 minutes off the bench instead of starting and playing 30…what happens?

Not sure what that has to do with anything? I don’t think he’s NBA material but he will certainly help this team or next years team. Depth, defense, and a veteran presence are all things that will be positives. He’s obviously not a shooter but we won’t be counting on him to be. I swear some of you guys will find a way to complain about anything.

1 Like

Nojel’s obviously a big asset defensively, so it’s not a terrible addition by any means. But to Dylan’s point yesterday on the other transfer targets, yeah you’re adding someone who could start but is he a good starter? Nojel’s what, between the 30-50th best player in the conference at best, possibly lower? It’s an upgrade from nothing, but it’s an odd fit offensively unless he can create shots for others in the half court, and he’s a long way from proven there.

1 Like

I think it’s valid to be concerned how a player who doesn’t get guarded will impact an offense that already has a big question mark regarding shot creation.

It may be fine! But I think just dismissing the concern as complaining isn’t right.

I don’t think he’s a positive veteran presence. See: this year’s Purdue team.

The one thing about Eastern is he doesn’t really fill the stat sheet at high volume, but if I had one word to describe him, I may use “steady” or “solid”. He basically is a table setter who gets people in place wherever he is on the floor offensively. Just keeps the ball moving, doesn’t make a ton of mistakes, just solid. Not a ton of flash but does the job.

5 Likes

21-22 will have nearly double digit underclassmen. Nojel would be a good guy to have around.

What job

I’m not being catty, I genuinely want to know what job he performs offensively. I can cycle the ball around the arc.

Edit: the one thing I’ve seen him do effectively is take the ball up the floor against the press - I saw Purdue have him do it to take some burden off Carsen

Doesn’t the defense have nearly as big a question mark? And wouldn’t Nojel directly address that? I just don’t see the desire to focus on the negative aspects of every little thing that can happen. Obviously there is some concern but saying “this feels like a negative addition” is flat out stupid.

You can’t quantify keeping a team calm, spacing the floor and just making simple reads rather than forcing a ball somewhere it shouldn’t be. Giving the ball to guys in positions they can’t score or where their weaknesses get exploited is an issue for a lot of guys. If you have a big man who’s not a good or willing passer and you throw him the ball with a double coming the chances of a mistake coming increase. Senior leadership is undervalued and hard to quantify as well. A lot of Eastern’s values are things that likely aren’t going to show up in a stat sheet. Maybe that changes some this coming season or next season.

4 Likes

In my opinion the defense isn’t as questionable, no. I think between Eli, Franz, Livers, Johns we have a solid group 2-4. Given that, while Eastern is good defensively, I’m not sure he gives us defense where we need it - I really don’t think a backcourt of Eli and Nojel can survive offensively.

I have chemistry concerns as well. Dylan mentioned yesterday that Eastern has thought he is a pro since he was being recruited. Entering the draft multiple times. And based off of Painter’s comments things weren’t all rosy at Purdue.

This is also why I don’t think this is being looked at as a sit one, play one. Dude wants to get paid to hoop and waiting 2 more years doesn’t seem like something he would want.

Nojel can guard 1-3 pretty well. Shut down Cassius last year in the game Purdue smacked MSU.

1 Like

I agree he can. But we’re already guarding 2-4 pretty well without him.

Should caveat: everything I’m typing is under the assumption he played next year

If he sits 1/plays 1 it’s another matter

Still nowhere near to the most annoying Mom in the B1G. :grinning:

4 Likes

That’s why I think it’s a little more ideal if he’s a sit out. If juwan can land one or two high level transfers or freshman for next year, or Zeb is ready for a big role, that would be big. Nojel has to almost always be the 4th or 5th option scoring wise for a good team.

I’m total opposite. Next years defense looks like a disaster to me but I can at least see us getting there on O. This was all pre-Eastern

3 Likes

We are? brooks is really good, but Wagner and livers both have on the ball defensive issues. IMO theres no one on the roster with anywhere close to the perimeter defensive ability of eastern.

7 Likes

Yeah as a sit one/play one I have less of an issue because roles are way less defined, there are lots of open spots, and we can build around his significant positives and significant negatives.